• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Fest 2015 Information and discussion thread

Some good advice here about driving up to Shaver, I live in Fresno, so I'm sure I drive it more than people from other areas. There are three water tanks on the way up, in case you overheat. There is also a store just beyond the top of the 4 lane.

Any NAXJA member from so-cal is certainly invited. I plan on talking with Richard about still having the so-cal run the last weekend on July to keep the size of our run manageable. I may tag along with the so-cal trip to scout out the areas and trail conditions for the SierraFest event.[/B]

Is this still the case? I'm planning the Swamp run with Richard. I want to lock down the dates for anyone in SoCal that wants to go.

Is this still the case? I'm planning the Swamp run with Richard. I want to lock down the dates for anyone in SoCal that wants to go.

It was decided that having a larger group run Swamp mid-week shouldn't be a problem at all. Realistically any NAXJA member and their guests, from So-Cal or anywhere for that matter, are welcome on our SierraFest run. I say decide what you guys want to do, hold your own smaller run, or join our event. We will have a nice BBQ and raffle, you guys are more than welcome to attend.

It was decided that having a larger group run Swamp mid-week shouldn't be a problem at all. Realistically any NAXJA member and their guests, from So-Cal or anywhere for that matter, are welcome on our SierraFest run. I say decide what you guys want to do, hold your own smaller run, or join our event. We will have a nice BBQ and raffle, you guys are more than welcome to attend.
Looks like Socal going July 31, Aug 1 & 2nd.

Fuel stops on the way up?
including Diesel for my tow vehicle?

Fill up in Fresno. Good station for tow rig is the Cheveron at Herndon and 168, just before you leave Fresno/Clovis. Easy access and big intersection to flip a u-turn. Diesel is pretty cheep there too. Also, a Jimmy Johns and Starbucks and Carls Jr. at that location to fill up the gut before hitting the hills.

There is fuel at the top of four lanes and in Shaver, but expect to pay $1 to $1.50 above what it sells for in the valley.

Fuel stops on the way up?
including Diesel for my tow vehicle?

If you're coming from the Bay area and cutting across from Madera to Friant to Prather...etc...There is a Shell station in Friant that sells diesel, gas, food and so on. I think there is a Shell in Prather, that's new since the last time I went up there, that sells diesel also.

Last edited:
We need to get the convoy list update... Totally looking forward to rolling out with a few other XJs..

We need to get the convoy list update... Totally looking forward to rolling out with a few other XJs..

I'll be towing up there. Leaving on Monday the 10th after 6 pm. My plan is to camp at Dinkey Creek Monday night, and roll out around 9 or 10 Tuesday morning into Swamp Lake. I'll start a thread in the event forum and see when people are leaving.

I am planning to leave the bay area on Saturday the 8th in the AM with 3-4 other rigs
do we have a planned meeting point near Shaver Lake?

I'm trying to put it together, get the wife off work, be great to see you guys again. Thom

looks like to me we need reservations @ dinky creek ? where are we staying as a group ?

looks like to me we need reservations @ dinky creek ? where are we staying as a group ?

No reservations required. Staying on the east side of the creek, away from the main Dinkey Creek Campsite.

You'll be able to run into the Main Campsite to take showers and there is a small store there too.

Back