• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Chapters First 2006 Event!!

Scrappy said:
Today is the 28th... I have zero rooms reserved. After the first, your own your own for accomidations.

I hope some of you are planning on coming! I have made special arrangements with the pizza place for extra special drinks.

Anyone for sure yet?

Obviously you didn't get my PM :) I am coming but need a place to stay that allows dogs. I have 3 friends coming as well, one with a TJ and the other with a Ranger (lifted of course). We need a place to stay on Friday and Saturday nights. Somewhere close to the trail on Friday and somewhere near the Pizza place on Saturday. Letterman posted a couple of places but they were kind of expensive.

Any other help would be much appreciated.

Late......

I will be there with at least some of my family. This is always a fun run. Hey Chuck, I may have a friend who could get your Jeep passed up in Modesto if you want to try that.

Well, a little update. The weather has been good and bad. The temps have been abnormally warm in the mountains and have not been able to turn rain to snow. SO, this week could mean alot to the snow pack. I am headed up saturday to do a pre-run check. I am hoping there is enough snow that I get stuck at least once. That will equal a fun weekend for us. If I get through it like normal, should be fun for those who attempt the "extra" spots.

Anyone local want to cruiz up saturday with me? I am getting tired of wheeling alone :laugh3:

Good to hear your going to make it Maximus!

Matt, will there be fresh snow to run in? Driving where there are already tracks is boring. Don't do too many pre-runs......... :)

BTW, how high will we have to go to hit some decent snow?

Last edited:
here is the problem I am encountering. Reports say that what snow was in shaver is gone. Sierra Summit is reporting i think less than a foot at base. Which is about same elevation as bald. I have a feeling that after this weekend we should see a temp drop and get some good fresh snow.

I also think this weekend I will probly be wheelin in the mud more than anything else with as much rain that has fallen.

Rich, my little 31s dont leave tracks. Its the dounuts I do everywhere that leave tracks!

edit: I just checked the weather reports, and Sierra Summit says three new feet of snow at the base. That is GOOD news. I will let everyone know whats happening sunday.

Last edited:
BTT

One week away. I will be there.

Remember to bring chains, even if they don't fit. The CHP requires that every vehicle carry chains into the area.

For those that don't have anywhere to stay yet, try here. I have used this company 2 times now. Very good people to deal with, and they have lots of places to stay with somewhat reasonable rates for most of their cabins.
http://resort.guarantee.com/(qpk2rjvy5zdqnbnoalqpzg45)/Explore.aspx

Hope to see you all there!

Well, I have to bail on this run. My wife won't be back at work yet, she's been off for 5 weeks now. That will be her last weekend before going back to work, and she can travel now, so we're going to the coast for the weekend.

You guys have fun,

heading to shaver today or tomorrow. wiil see how much snow is there.

Well, I was up there all weekend wheeling. What a BLAST!

There is so much snow, its rediculous. Me and about 5 other rigs were the first people in since the 3 new feet of snow. We only made it about 1/4 way to the tower. Luckly everyone was locked and liked the go pedal. I didnt take my camera :gag: but I may beable to get some from one of the guys.

I think we are going to have to split the run into 2 groups. Those who have lockers and GREAT snow tires with lots of clearance, and then the rest of us.

Even the road to the trailhead had tons of snow, and with the possibility of more snow this week. Its going to be a good time.

Maybe I can get a rig count from you guys? I know of 7 rigs FOR SURE. I am hoping to see alot more than that. Invite your toy guys and chevy boys too. Dont forget the kids too!!

I'll be there unless I break down.

I'll be there. Possibly with 2 or 3 more rigs, but only count me for now.

Scrappy said:
Well, I was up there all weekend wheeling. What a BLAST!

There is so much snow, its rediculous. Me and about 5 other rigs were the first people in since the 3 new feet of snow. We only made it about 1/4 way to the tower. Luckly everyone was locked and liked the go pedal. I didnt take my camera :gag: but I may beable to get some from one of the guys.

I think we are going to have to split the run into 2 groups. Those who have lockers and GREAT snow tires with lots of clearance, and then the rest of us.

Even the road to the trailhead had tons of snow, and with the possibility of more snow this week. Its going to be a good time.

Maybe I can get a rig count from you guys? I know of 7 rigs FOR SURE. I am hoping to see alot more than that. Invite your toy guys and chevy boys too. Dont forget the kids too!!

Scrappy,
I will be there with 2 other Rigs. Not sure how you plan on seperating the groups and who will do what but here is the breakdown of who has what in my group.

- TJ with 3.5" of lift, 33" Super Swampers, Locked Front and Rear.
- Ford Ranger with 6" Suspension and 2" Body Lift with 35 BFG Muds and Locked in the Rear.
- Then there's me with 4.5" of lift with 33" MT/R's and LS in the rear.

Have NO clue which set's of tires are good in the snow. Never been snow wheelin before :)

I think it would be a bad idea to seperate evryone, the equipped rigs will have fun while the unequiped rigs will get stuck and have a crappy time. The bigger rigs will be able to solve problems quickly and we all have a good time.

I have been up to Bald several times in the snow, a lot is finesse and proper tire pressure, that will go farther than lockers will. I also have been to winter fun fest and we have had to wait for the top to freeze back over before we able to get out. It is my most memorable snow wheeling ever.

Scrappy said:
To get into the mountains, CHP requires all vehicles to carry chains, 4x4 or not. So DO NOT forget these. They don’t need to fit or even be in good condition. They just want to see you have them. Gas and air is available in Prather and Shaver Lake.
Remember your chains.

Scrappy said:
That evening after the run, we are all going to get pizza and drinks at the pizza shop in Prather. They have excellent food and lots of room! If you can’t make the actual run, try to join us for the fun times at dinner!
Is this still the plan?

Scrappy said:
Please remember that the snow is cold and to pack accordingly.
Snow is especially cold once you get wet!

This should be a good run. I'm looking forward to it.

Phil said:
Remember your chains.

Is this still the plan?

Snow is especially cold once you get wet!

This should be a good run. I'm looking forward to it.

I was only thinking about splitting the group IF there are alot alot of rigs. But, it sounds as if we will have a fair amount. We will talk about it sat morning.

We can still do pizza in prather if there is enough interest. I know some of us are staying in a cabin in shaver and could just cook for ourselves. If there is enough people that want to do an after run party, I am completly up for that. I am going to have to drive back into prather regardless after the run.

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET CHAINS

Back