• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Chapter Rendezvous

[quote:863a607e96="DonH"]Crash....
Don't think I can do much on the Rubicon just yet, for a couple reasons. I'm still at only 3" and 31's and the 31's are probably closer to 29's, they're worn pretty thin. Price shopping for some BFG 32's rite now, but will prolly have to get another set of wheels, I screwed up and got 7" wheels when I replaced the (bent) originals. The other thing is, from what I've been hearing the Rubicon is at least an overnighter as well as is Barrett & my camping so far has been limited to a 30' motorhome. Plan to pick up a tent & some other odd's 'n ends soon, but 'till I do I have to stick to a moderate one-day run. If you know of anything like that, I'd be happy to join you. I'm in the process of doing some repairs at the moment, but shud be done in a week or so.

Jes...
Thanks, I will plan to get down for the m&g the 5th. Need to talk to some folks @ R.E. and 4WPW, prob will come down & make a day of it.[/quote:863a607e96]

Hi Don!!! Welcome back out west. BS on you not making it thru the rubicon. You have a locker. As long as you have rocker protection and tow hooks we can get you thru any of the obstacles and bypasses without body damage. SKidplates would be helpful, tho. As far as the tent, I have extra tents and sleeping bags galore. As long as you aren't camped near water (mosquitos)you don't really need a tent up there though, open air camping is great. I am planning for a few Sept and Oct trips, I am sure Crash and Jes wouldbe up for some more tour guide action.

SeanP

Just found out I have ANOTHER wedding to go to on the 21st. I think it's now up to 5 this year and there are 2 more to go. I'll be there sunday morning. What CB channel do you guys hang out on.

DonH, FWIW I have run 33x12.50s on 7 inch rims, if they are stock backspacing you will need spacers for the rear, you might skate by with 32s though, I was using the cheapo spacers from pepboys. If you have aftermarket alloy rims (whcih are mostly 3.75bs) I would say they would probably be ideal, well with some sawzall work!

Sean .. Thanx for the offer, it's really appreciated. Actually, I have some of the stuff already & can pick up a tent & mattress fairly cheaply. The XJ has t-case, rocker & gastank skids & a rear locker. The 31's have just about reached the end of their useful life, had a slight traction problem in Moab, believe it or not!! So, 32's or as someone suggested 33X9.5's are going on soon. COSTCO will sell me the BFG 32X11.5's but wont mount 'em on less than 8" rims. Still lookin'. I'll yak atcha'll about it next week at the m&g.

Gary E .. I've got aftermarket rims with 4 5/8" backspacing. Danno's daughter is set up w/32X11.5's on stock rims, works great, stuff's well, was a very slight rub if I recall that Dan fixed. I've got the Warn hub conversion that puts the front wheel 3/4" further out, just enuff to rub really hard on the flares, caved in the bottom rear of the pass side fender. Plan on Bushwacher flares soon, Summitt Racing carries 'em and are in the Reno area.

See ya'll next week

Hate to bring bad news but...

...Hollister Hills SVRA will be closed to the public on Sept. 21-22 because Espee De 4(or however you spell it) is holding their off road clinic.
We'll have to find another date.

Jes

Ouch, we're out anyway. Wifey goes under the LASER for eye surgery that weekend.

CRASH

Hey Sacto-

I'll be just fine. I'm doing the LASIK vision correction surgery. I've been lookin forward to this ever since I saw Friday the 13th for the first time and Jason jumped out of the water and grabbed that chick in the canoe at the end of the movie and I couldn't sleep at all that night cause all I can see is a big dark blur and every now and again other dark blurs. :shock: In fact, if I take my contacts out at night in the wintertime and Andy stands next to a wall I can't see him any longer. Which is sometimes not such a bad thing. Anyway, they're doing both eyes in about 15 minutes and then they give me drugs. I guess. Or something. At least I hope they give me drugs. Someone better give me drugs.

Lu

If we hit the end of Oct. or first oart of Nov. it may be fun because there may be some mud but maybe not so much fun for camping though. Aynways I am not going to Moab so most dates are OK with me.

Well.... does anyone know anything about the Frank Raines park?

Lu, glad to hear you won't need contact/glasses anymore and I agree with you about CRASH :lol: :shock:

Why don't you all head up to Meadow Lake? There are at least four different trails up there that will suite the needs of all of the range of vehicles we have. This is where Cal4Wheel stages for Sierra Trek, and they offer the long and short wheelbase runs as well as an SUV run.

Camping is great, and fre. There are bathrooms, and the camping is right on the lake!

How can you beat this?

Andy

Bummer on Hollister the 21-22. Do they post a schedule of events when the park will be open or closed? My PC won't load their web page for some reason.

Meadow Lake would be great weekend of 28-29 since that was my plan already. Camp / wheel on Saturday, then head up the hill to CalRocs at Donner on Sunday. If you have never been to a comp I would recomend it. Something about watching other people throw their rigs around doing cartwheels and such that just makes for a pleasant afternoon.

JP

[quote:1b4f21d594="SactoXJ"]Well.... does anyone know anything about the Frank Raines park?

[/quote:1b4f21d594]

It's ok, I've been there a few times.
Here's a link to my site
http://www.montereyxj.com/FrankRainesrunsintro.htm

There's camping, water, showers and tables, even some RV hook-ups I think.
you can't reserve sites, it's first come first served. you always have to keep an eye out for motorcycles and ATV's. But the park isn't that big and most of the trails are the same, there is a good riverbed for rock crawling though.

Frank Raines is like Hollister, with only about 1/10 as much to do. Great place if you have a dirt bike. There are a few mud holes and a creek to crawl up, but you can do everything there in about 2 hours.

Scott

Frank Raines is like Hollister, with only about 1/10 as much to do. Great place if you have a dirt bike. There are a few mud holes and a creek to crawl up, but you can do everything there in about 2 hours.

Scott

Back