• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Question

Brian93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am consdiering ordering the Rubicon Express 3.5" lift for my XJ to step up from 2", but when I put the lift on there now on, I bought a full set of Rancho RS9000X shocks. They are only rated to 3" of lift. Would they still be ok? The other thing I was thinking was I would order bar pin eliminators for the front and rear to extend things and just press the bar pins out of them and put metal insert tubes in instead since the eliminators will buy me another .5" - .75" of clearance for the shocks. Or if I just slice the ends off of the bar pins can i slide a bolt through the middle of the shock then without buying new insert tubes? Any suggestions? I would like to avoid buying new shocks if I can. I really like the Ranchos.

I'd bet they'd be fine, but the safest thing to do is call up the manuafacturer or store that you bought the shocks from to see what they say.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Brian93XJ said:
I am consdiering ordering the Rubicon Express 3.5" lift for my XJ to step up from 2", but when I put the lift on there now on, I bought a full set of Rancho RS9000X shocks. They are only rated to 3" of lift. Would they still be ok? The other thing I was thinking was I would order bar pin eliminators for the front and rear to extend things and just press the bar pins out of them and put metal insert tubes in instead since the eliminators will buy me another .5" - .75" of clearance for the shocks. Or if I just slice the ends off of the bar pins can i slide a bolt through the middle of the shock then without buying new insert tubes? Any suggestions? I would like to avoid buying new shocks if I can. I really like the Ranchos.

OK... I had the RSX setup for the 2~3" lift and when I went to 3.5" rear leaf pack, the shock was WAY too short. As a result I ended up moving the lower shockmount up. The upside is that there is less of an anchor effect and the original shocks fit, but the downsize is that you could use longer travel shocks if you get new ones....
In regards to front, I got new shocks as well (although I'm at about 4" ~ 4.5") because I wanted to maximize the travel (I had about 1/2" of droop left).

yes I am awar of that, but there are no probems what so ever with my set up.

Back