• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Placement ?

I guess it's all in the individual setup. I have 5.5 inches of lift, but different steering set up, bumped differently (because my big stupid tires, haha). When I set mine up, I let the nitrogen out of the bumps, and set the axle at full bump, held the shocks up there and figured out if it would work or not. I also put some dual rate spring sliders on the bump cans and used the zero rate tender springs because my coils unseat a couple of inches at full droop. Got them all mounted up, and set the limit straps a little shy of full droop.

I welded in the T&J uppers, threw on some tabs on the long arm mounts which lowered the shock mount 2" from stock and with 5.5 coils and 12" foxes we only had 3" of up-travel.

you also have to remember me and cache have GRANDCHEROKEES. the lift sizes are different. im running fox 11's with lowered mounts on my axle.

P1040832.jpg

I welded in the T&J uppers, threw on some tabs on the long arm mounts which lowered the shock mount 2" from stock and with 5.5 coils and 12" foxes we only had 3" of up-travel.

His upper mount looks higher than T&J's mounts. That helps out too, i am going to do mine as high as possible

Dan, you still only have what, about 5" up travel? Leaving 7" down? (not saying that's not a good setup)

Yeah, that's pretty close. It works well. I think having a little less up travel helps keep the nose up through whoop sections. I think we've talked at length about that before.

Yeah, that's pretty close. It works well. I think having a little less up travel helps keep the nose up through whoop sections. I think we've talked at length about that before.
Indeed. You've also got an OTA track bar mount and OTA heim steering correct? So you're able to droop the full 7". Any Y link steering and a stock location track bar mount is going to bind IMO before that happens. I was hoping for 14" on the XJ when I was planning a high steer, bronco width, and super high track bar mount on the axle side along with a kicked out mount on the frame side.

The only way to know for sure is to take your shocks off and see how far it will droop. Check your steering clearances side to side as droop as well. The flatter and longer your draglink and track bar are the better it will drive. If you're just prerunning and not rock crawling, I'd look at putting the tie rod on the bottom, space up the draglink on top as much as you feel comfortable, and build a track bar with angles to match, and with less bends. On your current track bar, I'd be worried if you ever landed hard on the passenger side front, that it would bend. That's what happened to the Filars' jeepspeed at the 1000.

-D

Back