• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock choice for 0 lift- Old Man Emu, Rancho, Bilstein??

mmag1982

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

my 01 xj 4.0 originally came with the up country suspension package, my car is an extra low mileage one, 35K miles now with a 4.0 tuned to around 210hp.

what i'm complaining of is the extra hard ride of the jeep. Its very bouncy to the extent that the car usually loses traction on any broken or bumpy surface, lovely on sand and slow trail driving, but for 40, 50 mph on severely broken stone roads , i can barely stand the bounces.

However I like the degree of body control it has for high speed driving on highways, the jeep luckily doesn't have the chronic wallow and ship-like handling that most 4x4s have.

so I need shocks for 0 inch lift that would have equal or better body control for high speed highway driving yet offer a significant improvement in ride for harsh and bumpy surfaces. The type of roads I drive on are heavily broken ashpalt and concrete back roads full of cuts, ridges, huge pot holes and bumps, etc..

so Oldman Emu, Rancho or Bilstiens and which models? appreciate you recommendations.

I'm mostly an engine builder and have very limited experience with suspensions, my only experience with old man emu was with their more than excellent steering stabilizer that completely cured the chronic death wobble problem that I had.

also , I'm running 255/60 R 15s , can those have a negative effect on ride quality?

OME or Bilstein. Rancho will be too stiff. Your tires are close to stock size and shouldn't have a negative impact on handling. Make sure you have the correct tire pressure though.

do you know the model names for OME and Biltsiens? I know the OME for 0 lift are N35/N36 i think. but the biltsiens?

I believe i you go to shockwarehouse.com or similar it should give you a list for different heights and such with PNs Or Pm serious offroad and e can probably help you out.

I had Edelbrock IAS shocks on my near stock 90. They considerably reduced the roll even when I had both swaybars connected. They were stiff. I don't recall them being terribly bad on washboard roads, but it was 15 years ago. I ran them after I lifted it, and broke one in Moab.

Back