• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

San Juan splinter trip!

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
In talking with a few members, I understand there was some interest at the meeting about an informal trip to the San Juans during ColoradoFest. I hate waiting until the last minute and HOPE there's camping available in the Ouray area, so I made a tenitive reservation for the 11th and 12th of August at the KOA in Ouray. I'll probably leave the BV run EARLY Thursday morning, and run Imogene/Black Bear or Engineer on Friday. We COULD do a short run on Thursday afternoon to Yankee Boy, as it's pretty close to town.
If anyone else wants to come along, there will be a couple of us there that know the area and the trails pretty well.
PM me if you're interested...I have no problems changing campsites if someone knows a better place. I've stayed at the KOA every year for the last 3, and it's a nice spot. You can reserve a spot on-line, as they don't open 'till May.
See ya'll in August! :wave:

I've gotten some reponse.
I changed MY plan and I'll be staying Saturday night also, (13th) so I'll be doing another trail on Saturday. If you can make it, great! :wave:

If anyone is planning on attending this, post up here. I need to know when everyone wants to show up so I can make Bill and I's reservations............ :bunny:

I need to know if the small group wants to show up the first half of the week or the second.

Last edited:
jrsxj98 said:
Your not gonna do any of the BV portion?
Possibly the first Sunday (7th), but that's an extra 8-10 hours of driving for me (round trip) to wheel one day...
You coming to Ouray?

BillR said:
Possibly the first Sunday (7th), but that's an extra 8-10 hours of driving for me (round trip) to wheel one day...
You coming to Ouray?

Probably not. Looking at doing some trails I have never done in BV

That's cool-
I could run Engineer and Imogene every day and not get tired of it.
I guess I'll see you in October. (if you don't bail EARLY AGAIN!) :laugh3:

You guys have a BLAST and be safe. I WAS gonna go to the San Juans around the last of July or the 1st week of Aug. but it dont look very good this year.
icon9.gif

100_0664.jpg

Dont forget Yankeeboy.....

100_0601a.jpg

BTW... That KOA in Ouray is a FANTASTIC place to stay!!!!
Here is the link to it if any one needs it....

http://rver.com/parkdetail.asp?parkid=1

(click in the boxes at the top for a tour and info)

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! :wave:
Like I said, I could wheel in that area every day and still find new things every time out.
Is it August yet? :rattle:

so for someone who has no idea as to the terrain of Colorado or the name of the terrain - what the eff are you talking about

(my way of showing interest in something that i completely dont understand)

XJ_ranger said:
so for someone who has no idea as to the terrain of Colorado or the name of the terrain - what the eff are you talking about

(my way of showing interest in something that i completely dont understand)
If you're talking about the San Juan side trip, the trails are pretty easy if you don't have a problem with heights and narrow shelf roads. A stocker can do just fine on most of them. You HAVE to pay attention, and that's tough sometimes (for me) with the scenery around you. It's all relative I guess. I can do Black Bear and Imogene all day long, but Moab puckers me right up!
The tougher trails are in the BV area where the majority of the people will be.

BillR said:
In talking with a few members, I understand there was some interest at the meeting about an informal trip to the San Juans during ColoradoFest. I hate waiting until the last minute and HOPE there's camping available in the Ouray area, so I made a tenitive reservation for the 11th and 12th of August at the KOA in Ouray. I'll probably leave the BV run EARLY Thursday morning, and run Imogene/Black Bear or Engineer on Friday. We COULD do a short run on Thursday afternoon to Yankee Boy, as it's pretty close to town.
I'd really like to get to Colorado this summer as its been serveral since I've been there. I wan't to take my jeep over Imogene this year if nothing else . I'd stay at familys ranch (sorry no campers) near Ridgeway so thats close to Ouray which is a cool little town w/ the hot spring & all. Would be neat to hit up the pass & drop into t-ride if not the other way round. My aunt- yes aunt-took my 80 year old grandfather in her 85 range rover down Black Bear Road, he almost died of fear.

OK, some plans have changed and some people cancelled out. I'll be in the Ouray area Thurs-Sat evening with my family and we'll run a few trails Friday and Saturday. If anyone wants to come along on the trails and you don't mind following a TJ :laugh3: , I'll be glad to play "tour guide". (I'm gonna stay away from the tough stuff so you XJs don't make me look bad... :gag: ) I'll probably do the Alpine Loop with LOTS of photo stops on Friday, and maybe Black Bear/Imogene on Saturday with a lunch break in Telluride.
PM me if you're interested... :wave:

Back