• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Lift Kits?????

I have a used Rusty's 4.5" lift (front springs, rear springs, and LCA's at least) and they all work pretty well together. Pulled it off a parts jeep and the kit is at least 3 years old and I see very little to no saggage in the rear.

I am running a home-brew beefy-azz track bar so I can't comment on that part of the conversation.

Lift kits I've owned: Rusty's, Rubicon Express, RE/homebrew 5". Doing it all over again, I'd never buy the Rusty's and would buy RE if I couldn't homebrew. For the trackbar I'd steer clear of Rusty's. There's just too much smoke and where there's smoke there's fire.

Bottom line, isn't the fact that you're having to ask about the quality bothersome to you? How many threads do you see about people questioning quality of Rubicon Express or IRO because of previous failures? There's your answer.

I have. Along with about 95% of the other people commenting on this topic.

I think you're outnumbered but thanks for playing. :)

I'll play. My Rusty's trackbar has never broke. Maybe they plated mine in titanium 'cause I'm def in the 5%. Not that I ride around with a Rusty's sticker on my rig. :eyes:

Lift kits I've owned: Rusty's, Rubicon Express, RE/homebrew 5". Doing it all over again, I'd never buy the Rusty's and would buy RE if I couldn't homebrew. For the trackbar I'd steer clear of Rusty's. There's just too much smoke and where there's smoke there's fire.

Bottom line, isn't the fact that you're having to ask about the quality bothersome to you? How many threads do you see about people questioning quality of Rubicon Express or IRO because of previous failures? There's your answer.

x2

I see threads all over the place questioning Rusty's. I'm with you, if I doubt the quality and there are MULTIPLE people who can vouch for the lack there of I will stay far far away. Why even risk it?

And I'm sure the people who are running a Rusty's trac-bar, that has broken YET, aren't going to admit they bought a POS. I'm sure I'd be the same way....maybe. lol

From all of the pictures people have posted with broken Rusty's track bars, they all seem to be the actual heim (or TRE) that breaks. (I am not planning on running a TRE style at all). If it is only the heim that is breaking at the threads, there are sure alot of strong heim joints available that are "bullet proof" and they are not that expensive. Rusty's says they use a 1.25" DOM thick walled tube for the actual bar, so i don't see how that is any different than any other thick walled 1.25" bar. I can definitley see that they may have an issue with inferior heim joints though.

From all of the pictures people have posted with broken Rusty's track bars, they all seem to be the actual heim (or TRE) that breaks. (I am not planning on running a TRE style at all). If it is only the heim that is breaking at the threads, there are sure alot of strong heim joints available that are "bullet proof" and they are not that expensive. Rusty's says they use a 1.25" DOM thick walled tube for the actual bar, so i don't see how that is any different than any other thick walled 1.25" bar. I can definitley see that they may have an issue with inferior heim joints though.

Seems like the tie rod-style bar is the most prone to breaking. It uses awfully thin threaded rod (the bar is fine) and the tie rod itself only has so much travel before it binds. So when your passenger tire is drooping, the trackbar tie rod end runs out of travel and all the extra force is being exerted on that little baby threaded rod. It cannot handle the weight of the axle+tire and stop droop. The result: snap! Sometimes it manages to survive such forces but bends instead, creating a weak spot which will eventually fail in parking lots or driving down the road.

It seems the TRE is where the bad reputation comes from. For a few extra dollars, I can throw a bulletproof heim end on it and it will support all kinds of stress and weight. A simple solution to one bad part.

It seems the TRE is where the bad reputation comes from. For a few extra dollars, I can throw a bulletproof heim end on it and it will support all kinds of stress and weight. A simple solution to one bad part.

Thats what Im planning on doing. I have had the rustys track bar for a few years now with no problems but I have seen enough of the ends fail that I am going to replace it with a heim from ruff stuff. The track bar itself is heavy duty just an under sized/poor quality peice used for the end. If I had know all this before I bought it I would of gone with something else but its too late for that now!

Then it's prolly safe to say that you DON'T wheel your Jeep!
I don't thrash it but I sure have been on some very nasty rocks on my way to a nice expo type trips to explore and spend a week or more. Wheeling is not the same as seeing what you can do to break something...."hold my beer and watch this"

I've been very happy with rusty's 4.5" front springs and 3/4" shackles... now I just need to do something with the rear springs so the ass end can keep up with the front

i have a combination of Rusty,s stuff and Tera flex. i have the 6.5 front coils matching shocks ,trac bar, drop bracket. trac bar brace,steering box brace. rear 4.5 springs and shackles.and there h.d steering linkage. ive had to replace all the bushing in the rear springs. ive had to replace the trac bar bushings all ready.the front shocks and springs are feeling soft. ive found there steering linkage is twitchy feeling.im going back to my home made/Z J style steering linkage. i may try some one else s shocks .my ring had wheeled very good up until recently .

rustys track bar is junk. you might consider running all heim joints. you have to make new tie rod, drag link, and track bar but all those having heims works very well for me. tera flex is spendy but i hear they work very well. have a buddy that spent alot of money at rustys and has replaced all of it with beefier stuff, not because he wanted to, because he had to!

Big OffRoad spring Packs:D

those look like bad ass springs, but the smallest they have is 4"... I don't want the typical stinkbug xj lift haha. I was thinking about the HD OME 2" springs but everyone says those give you close to 4" of lift :dunno:

Back