• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rugged ridge steering??

I ordered from CSE...shipped to my house it was $159.95...it was on sale. I haven't installed it yet...I was wheeling last weekend (my YJ) so I didn't have time! A quick look it seems to be not too bad for the price! I didn't put a measure on it but it appears to be 1.25" x .25" thick tubing...it's heavy. We'll see how it performs but my initial thoughts were good. My "new" 1990 XJ is going to be the family wheeling rig so I don't plan on getting over 33" tires, etc. Aside from the size of the TRE's, it doesn't seem that far off in quaility than that of the steering I put on my YJ which cost almost $300.

Just so everyone knows. The national manufacturer's back order currently sits at a quantity of over 100.

The parts to fill orders are due in mid-May.

My suggestion to anyone that really wants to try this system, get yours on order now. Each time they have a batch arrive, they're going to fill the orders in the order received. So if you try to wait to order it, chances are that batch will be gone, and you will be back in line, waiting again. Being a new part like this, the demand could keep the wait times going on them for quite a while, can't really say for sure.

Also, the cost of steel is rising, and RR prices are set to increase next month, so if you're gonna order one, go for it soon, and lock the lower price in.

This system is basically crap,I have recently met 2 others that bought this set-up and are also totally disappointed.

IntrepidXJ said:
I don't think this particular system is crap.....it's just the inherent problems with an inverted-T steering system that I do not like
I agree with that,but the offset tre they use seems to make it much worse than say the JCR type set-up!

I believe all it is, is a ZJ tierod with ends... I belive the drag link is the same so just get a XJ drag. Check out Stu's Off-Road TJ site.
It is bigger then stock XJ stuff (the tierod) I liked mine... If I still drove my XJ as a every day driver I dump the R.R. I just bought and go back to the ZJ one... still might down the road.

My R.R. is above... 90+% with two bushings to counter the tie rod roll...
We'll see...

Curt

yea as the O.P of this thread I found out all I need to know about the RR setup...I'm steering clear of it(pun intended!!!).Guess I'll look into the zj setup....have heard too much negative about RR.Not to mention the whole back order thing pisses me off.

Even more important,you cant buy replacement parts for this set-up(in a timely fashion vs just going to any auto parts store and getting off-the-shelf)!

I am getting ready to install this setup. I have read here that it won't fit with stock BS rims. The new instructions posted on the OMIX-ADA site worn of a possible problem with oversize tires on stock rims. Is this true? I am running stock alloys with 33 x 10.5.

What BS to I need to run this setup. I want to move the tires out as little as possible, so I can keep the tires under the fenders and the gendarme of my arse.

Anyone who decided to not use this setup want to sell it? I'm sitting at 5" and I've done my hw and this looks like it'll work for me and if not it'd be a good basis for a new steering system.

AznDrgn said:
Anyone who decided to not use this setup want to sell it? I'm sitting at 5" and I've done my hw and this looks like it'll work for me and if not it'd be a good basis for a new steering system.

If you were to do some goferit flip inserts with this kit and go OTK it could work well for you. As a bolt on, alot of people have complained of the TRE roll.

JR aka RJROffRoad said:
If you were to do some goferit flip inserts with this kit and go OTK it could work well for you. As a bolt on, alot of people have complained of the TRE roll.

Was thinking of staying under and replacing the passenger side end with a straight TRE instead of the bent and adding the spacers to all the TRE's. Would have to have something to compare but I think going over would require a whole lot more fabrication which I might consider doing but like I said would need to see what all would be involved.

Back