• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon June 20th trip still on?

ShinyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I remember discussion about a backwards 'con trip on the weekend of June 20th a while back and I'm trying to plan my vacation time for summer...is this trip still a go? If so I'm still planning on it, just want to get it on the calendar.

Scott

Yes, it's fully awn.

CRASH

Great to hear. I think I've talked my old man into riding shotgun since my wife will still be out of the country... he hasn't been wheelin' since the 70's. It should be pretty entertaining...maybe I'll let him drive so I can take pictures! He's rather high maintenance (drives an exploder and a Sebring convertible--at least it's DaimlerChrysler) but will drink his share of beer at the end of the day.

S

Scott, it will be good to see you. I plan on making this run, I've always wanted to run the 'Con backwards, it should be interesting.

I've always wanted to run the 'Con backwards, it should be interesting.

Your rig won't make it.

CRASH

I suspect the worst obstacles will be the jeep club with 40 rigs that are coming the other direction with the spotters with there little orange vests ;)

Thanks for the shopping list:

Full size spare, jack, and lug wrench -check
First aid kit - check
Fire extinguisher -check
Spare front shafts(unless running alloys)
If you have a D35 bring spare shafts for it and know how to change them - don't need those
Spare steering(if stock)
1 locking differential.
Proper tow points front and rear - need front bumper
Tow strap - check
A working C.B. radio is highly recomended -check

hmm, looks like I better get to it!

Are you sure you are not baby-sitting that weekend?

CRASH

crash, R U sure u don't have too!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh2:

stoney!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I just popped in to see what was going on in here and saw this trip being planned. If all goes according to schedule I should be in California for the weekend in question and would love to join you guys. For those of you that don't know my setup here goes:

2001 XJ
4.5" Rusty's/RE lift
33x11.50 MTRs(4, spare is a 32 BFG AT)
full skids, rock rails, bumpers, etc etc.
4.56 gears and an ARB should be in my 8.25 by then(sittin on the bedroom floor at the moment)

That should give you a general idea. Now here's what I'm wondering, seeing as how I'm from VA, and I've never been in true rock country, do you guys think this would be a good first trip for me?? I absolutely hate being the guy who holds everyone up in a group, and if that would end up being the case, I wouldn't subject you guys or myself to that. That said, I'm dieing to see the "real wheelin" you west coast guys always rant about ;) Anyway, what do you guys think?? Thanks

Ary

P.S. I make a mean shish kabob over an open fire :cool:

Come 'awn.......shish kabobs Friday night sounds good to me. :D

You're set up fine for this trip, and the 'Con is a good first timers rock trail. The scenery and camping on this trip are exceptional, and the company's not too bad :), so if you can don't miss it. Being from VA, a trip on the Rubicon is a once in a lifetime type of experinece.

I'm not sure that the Rubicon is a good first timers rock trail but it really isn't that difficult of a trail(if you don't follow CRASH ;) ).
If you can make it you won't want to miss this trip. Several other very nice trails in the area as well, great scenery.

Jes

Back