• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country

GrimmJeeper said:
do you know anything at all about suspension systems? cupping is caused by the tires bouncing on the road while they are spining. it is almost always caused by shock failure. RARELY it can be caused by a tire being out of balance but it would have to be way off, and it only occurs opposite of the unbalanced mass. it has nothing to do with tire pressure or bad ball joints.

what? hydo doenst mean water when referring to shocks, its short for hydraulic. as far as i know no companies put water in thier shocks. its either oil or some type of gas. shocks stiffen up due to heat. heat makes the oil in the shock expand and over pressurizes the shock, making it unable to transfer the fluid inside.

:confused1
LOLZ............ laughs now that I re read it I cant beilive I put "water" :anon: donno what I was smoking!! But back to those shocks. Yes the hydraulic fluid does expand but in many instances it foams due to small amounts of air that are trapped in the "sealed" chamber.

As for the cupping............ run some more tires around that les schwab or go stab some little kid who touches yer jeep :skull1: or slaps your mom. Surely felon you know this from the work release program?

I know nothing about suspensions

l_4453c4d8f54fddd84db50c558d3265e6.jpg

Oh back on topic as to save Jasons thread!!!! and by the way this is my RC 4.5 lift :laugh2: :roflmao:

Last edited:
GrimmJeeper said:
do you know anything at all about suspension systems? cupping is caused by the tires bouncing on the road while they are spining. it is almost always caused by shock failure. RARELY it can be caused by a tire being out of balance but it would have to be way off, and it only occurs opposite of the unbalanced mass. it has nothing to do with tire pressure or bad ball joints.

what? hydo doenst mean water when referring to shocks, its short for hydraulic. as far as i know no companies put water in thier shocks. its either oil or some type of gas. shocks stiffen up due to heat. heat makes the oil in the shock expand and over pressurizes the shock, making it unable to transfer the fluid inside.

:confused1

This is disappointing. I was hoping that there WAS water in the shocks. In an emergency I could always break open a shock and drink from it. :roflmao:

Grimm; Do you think the shocks that came with the RC 4.5" lift should be replaced since I am having "cupping" issues with the front tires? The lift went on in October and I noticed the vibs in June. The vibs made me check the tires, and that is when I saw the cupping. Rotating and balancing made most of the vibs go away, since the cupped tires were put on the back.

Rough Country just warranted my lower control arm bushings no charge. another great story of great customer service.

mekcanix said:
Just installed my adjustable Rough Country UCA and LCA nice stuff and they were great just thought I would say thanks

Did you grease yours? Before you go out an put them in water you need to grease them...

I've got the 4.5" w/full spring pack on mine. right now I use it as a daily driver as well as a wheeling rig and I like it. the ride is a little "rough" but it is in their name!! LOL

100_0744-1.jpg

My tires were cupping very badly. I went to the local tire place and they told me to lower my tire pressure and guess what, the cupping corrected itself in time and they are fine now. I guess you are right, like you said "tire pressure has nothing to do with cupping"

I Bought the Hydro 8000 8127 and 8126 shocks in June and Installed them in July . I drove about 34 mile round trip to the SoCal Rockgarden Run and did some very light wheeling. Other than that I only drive my rig to about 2 miles to work, so I dont think I put even 100 miles on them. I was removing my gas tank skid and noticed that the bar pin bushings in my rear shocks are sliced in half down the middle, both of them, causing the bar pin to come out. Now my shocks are wiggling around freely. The bushings on the Axle mount side also tore.

Picture059.jpg

Picture062.jpg

I contacted Grimus. He told me about a bad bunch of bushings that got sent out, and now some new ones are on the way.

Thanks alot. Excellent customers service. I will definitely be buying from Rough Country again in the future.

Anyone heard anything about the new Performance 2.2 series shocks. In their print ads it lists them as available for the XJ but I can't find much about them online.

If I were to get the RC 3" instead of the RE 2" how stupid would my XJ look with BFG AT KO 235x75x15's?

Why would it? Look stupid that is.. Run them till you can get bigger tires.. How much more for the 4.5 lift to the 3" lift?.. I would look at all this before you buy a kit... After you drive it for awhile your going to want more lift..

Why would it? Look stupid that is.. Run them till you can get bigger tires.. How much more for the 4.5 lift to the 3" lift?.. I would look at all this before you buy a kit... After you drive it for awhile your going to want more lift..
3" would be the max lift I would want. Also don;t want to go larger than 30's on tires. This is a DD so gas mileage is important to me.

Back