• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Elephant Hill - wrong turn?

flojo8000

NAXJA Forum User
I hope I'm not incriminating myself here. I honestly thought I was on the right trail until things took a turn for the worse, but I think I took one of those detours I read about. I'm just trying to figure out where we were.

I started out on the right trail (solo) and took along the TrailDamage report (I know, it says don't go alone) and map as well as the MVUM I got from the USFS this morning. Things started out as expected, a long uphill journey, but after a short while it got pretty rough. Really rough. Way rougher than a 4-6 rated trail.

First you go past a few houses and some have driveways that at first glance could be the trail, so we (my passenger and I) made sure we took the trail that always took us uphill and north. My guess is this is where we made a mistake. At a point early off we turned away from the trail that went straight and looked like a driveway and went over a big root and uphill, following the fresh tire tracks. The tire tracks disappeared at some point and we must have been on our own.

For awhile things were fine as far as trail rating was concerned, but after a little while the lines were getting harder and harder. We made it through maybe 2 miles or so and were amazed that this was still a 4-6 rated trail (I did most of my Jeeping in FL and just moved out here, so I don't have much experience with CO routes).

We finally made it up to a point where there were trees growing in the center of the trail and I started to get some body damage (Cherry popped. Damn.). It just got worse from there. We finally walked a ways and found a real trail that we could potentially get to. We decided that it would be MUCH safer and more prudent to continue up than go back down the way we came. Eventually we got to I believe Mill Creek Trail and came back down on a proper trail.

So my question is, where the hell were we? Again I never intended to go off trail, but I MUST have at some point. Based on the Bill Moore Lake Trail being a 4, this was most likely an 8. Any input?

Last edited:
You were lost, that is for sure. :D

Update your location so we won't think you are another tourist. ;)

Back