• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reciever tow hooks

waserwolf

NAXJA Forum User
lookin at buyin the tow hook that fits into a 2x2 reciever hitch, which brand should I buy and where, warn makes one and e-trailer makes two, is one better than the other? Thanks.

Probably not, be better to get one that fits a d-ring though. The strap can slip off the hook.

Yeah the Harbor Freight ones are cheap. I use mine for dragging logs off of the trails at the hunting lease. Strong enough for that anyway. Don't know about as a recovery point because as has been stated by Ramsey the strap can easily come off and you may lose your rig.
BTW good to see Ramsey's name in red again.

Not to mention it's from harbor freight.

Unless you're pulling straight to the side, or from 12' above, I don't see how the strap is going to fall "up" off the hook.

I've had zero problems with mine, and the D-rings always look like a hassle...

To each his own, I guess...

Robert

Just the extra bit of security. Slack in the line could possibly cause it to pop off.

The Harbor Freight ones hold up very well. I got stuck in a water hole with 3" of ice, and when we tried to pull me forward the truck didn't budge. The Harbor Freight tow hook didn't flinch. I then got pulled out backwards using another Harbor Freight receiver hook. Best $20 I spent ($10 each).

The concern with the hook is the distribution of force. We all know where the Harbor Freight ones come from to be able to sell for $10 and still make a profit. The issue is quality of parts from the manufacturing (casting) process. If there is a void in the hook casting, it will fail with enough force. If there aren't voids, then the added material to make up for the shape would be adequate.

A D ring has two "Anchors" opposite each other. The other advantage is the "Locking" of the strap. I like this approach better because of the force distribution. It is an issue of risk of safety.

MuddyPaws said:
Got it from Tractor Supply.

Yep, me too. TS kicks azz.

When I bought my rig it had the factory-style hooks hanging down below the bumper. Those were a pain in the butt because, like's been said, any slack in the line at all and it was in the mud.

But with the hooks mounted pointing up, "slack" isn't an issue. The strap will just hang like a coat on, well, a hook.

Now if the strap is jumping and bouncing around, I could see it maybe coming off. I guess you guys must be doing much more violent, er, I mean "lively," recoveries than I am.

:dunno:

Robert

sjx40250 said:
The concern with the hook is the distribution of force...

Sorry, I cross posted, I type slow!

I'm not defending HF, but the ones at TS are rated at 10,000#, which is like double the receiver I have it mounted in.

I'd be stunned if I managed to bend it, casting voids or no...

Robert

Last edited:
I run one of the D-ring style reciever mounts. Works well and is not a hassle at all. If its a nasty muddy wheeling trip I leave the strap hooked to it and just wrap it up in my tire carrier for easy access. I imagine its also a little easier on the strap since the radius of the D-ring is not so tight.

I did that back when I had the factory hitch, never had a problem. With my Durango rear bumper the pin is kind of a pita to access. I just run the D-ring reciver with the D-ring removed so no body can jack it.

bandit455 said:
what about running a hitch pin in the reciver hole with a clevis pin

theis allows u to lock the strap plus its free!!!

that's what I do...

...works for me

Back