• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAL Cheromanche pictures

sweetjeep said:
It's OK.. I can take the criticism. :)

It's not saggy. It's an optical dillusion. The bed is not bolted down and doesn't have the spacers in it and is tilted on it's own accord. Plus the back of the cab kicks up at the bottom behind the doors. Add that to my tilty driveway and the front end needing to be lifted it looks saggy.. but she be not.

I nested the "frames" together and braced them each with a piece of 1/4" X 2.5" X 2.5"
angle iron 4 feet long.

Why:

Because I needed a pickup.
Everything I could afford sucked.
Everything I wanted I couldn't afford.

I COULD afford a smashed 98 Cherokee.
I COULD ALSO afford an 87 Comanche.
My labor is free.

Now let's be honest, if you hate it that cool. If you love it that's cool(er). But I did it.

Could you?

Feel free to criticize.. CLEARLY I am not done yet! ;)

alright, i guess that makes sence... its a good project with good intentions.

XJ89JEEP said:
its like bending in the middle, or is it just me?

read the whole thread.. the bed isnt bolted on yet..

as far as registering it, i assume you are going to call it an MJ because the XJ title is probably a salvage title, (if you have one at all) but here in Ma i would have to register it as the existing XJ because of the majority of the body/drivetrain is XJ... i like it and it looks even better lifted.. F the clowns who can't see it as YOUR creation..

sidriptide said:
as far as registering it, i assume you are going to call it an MJ because the XJ title is probably a salvage title, (if you have one at all) but here in Ma i would have to register it as the existing XJ because of the majority of the body/drivetrain is XJ... i like it and it looks even better lifted.. F the clowns who can't see it as YOUR creation..

First off, yeah, fukda bozos. So long as it won't pose a hazard, do what you like.

But on the registration, I know that almost any DMV guy is gonna just check the VIN on the dash. That's gonna tell him it's the totaled XJ.

And if you try to change that tag, it's going to show, and the guy's going to sh!t bricks.

I like it, but I do think you're gonna run into trouble trying to register it.

(Unless you already had tags on the MJ, and you're just gonna use those. Which is probably illegal, but would probably work if you don't have any sort of annual inpections...)

Robert

Whats the wheelbase on that thing? how bad is the turning radius... The idea is kind of cool, but the logistics make is seem like it would be a pain to drive anywhere but striaght on the highway.. there is a reason you dont see too many narrow minitrucks that are crew cab/ext cab, long bed..

hillbilly_jeeper said:
I like it. sure, really to long for a hard-core trail rig, but as long as you can get the frame strong enough, and it serves the purpose you need, great! even i, at times, find myself torn. i carry people and gear all the time, so i love my cherokee. but its also a pain to get the trailer hooked up anytime i want to take the dirt bikes. oh well, gotta comprimise somewhere.

How is it so hard to hook up a trailor, I tor a trailor daily.

bigpimpinben said:
How is it so hard to hook up a trailor, I tor a trailor daily.
How hard is it to utilize a spell-checker?

Some of you retards saying stupid things are showing your intelligence and really shouldn't be posting.

sweetjeep said:
It's OK.. I can take the criticism. :)

It's not saggy. It's an optical dillusion. The bed is not bolted down and doesn't have the spacers in it and is tilted on it's own accord. Plus the back of the cab kicks up at the bottom behind the doors. Add that to my tilty driveway and the front end needing to be lifted it looks saggy.. but she be not.

I nested the "frames" together and braced them each with a piece of 1/4" X 2.5" X 2.5"
angle iron 4 feet long.

Why:

Because I needed a pickup.
Everything I could afford sucked.
Everything I wanted I couldn't afford.

COULD afford a smashed 98 Cherokee.
My labor is free.
I
Now let's be honest, if you hate it that cool. If you love it that's cool(er). But I did it.

Could you?

Feel free to criticize.. CLEARLY I am not done yet! ;)

I think it looks absolutely GREAT!!
I also agree with the
" ICOULD afford a smashed 98 Cherokee.
My labor is free. "
Would love to see more when it is done.
BIll

01-XJ said:
I was just wondering if more people would be happy if he bought a chevy avalanche or a ford exlporer sport trac.

Personally, i think that it is way cooler to build a jeep to meet your needs rather than buy a non jeep product that you wouldn't be happy with because is isn't a jeep.

That x/mJ will sure turn some heads.

~Jeremy

I'm kinda starting to lean that way as well. I work at a dodge /chrysler /jeep dealer in the parts dept and after I have built my own "cheromanche"
see(http://community.webshots.com/album/184729955LFrRDE)
I was going to make a 97 dodge grand caravan into a truck for something really different.

Yet I've been a jeep man for some 15 years now and would like to have a cheromanche stretched just like this one. Of course using the wrecked local vehicles that I've found, many local body shops that would give me much free advise and probably use of facilities if I really needed them, and my free labor to keep me home and out of trouble, this would be a better choice.
Thanks for straightening my head on.
Bill

partsbill said:
Roll bar is made from galv. fence post welded in the body of the jeep. Flat panel facing is wood!! All the gray is actually Rustoleum Hammered finish paint ; rolled and brushed on in a day

:shocked: Wooowwww...

Robert

Make sure you put Huuuugeee tires on that, otherwise it will look like a Wrangler Unlimited......:) Otherwise i think it kics ass, that should be a rig of the month:p

massxj said:
fence post for a roll bar ?

I know this sounds odd. And cheap. But it is actually made from galv. fence postd bought from LOWES. When I did this, most people said that it wouldn't survive a rollover and crush like a can. Have you ever seen a factory, unmodified Cherokee survive a rollover w/o crushing like a can?

I don't rock crawl this vehicle. The only possible off-camber situation I get in to is when I cross over the dune line , heading out to the beach in Ocracoke to go fishing.

I had this material(fence post) and thought it would be the right size for looking correct, ease of welding to the roofline, and forming the rear down tubes, so I went with it.

Besides, I've had eight of my 9 live used up when I went head on w/ a Chevy truck and was ejected from the seat(broke the seat belt bolts)(watch out for un-marked buttons on dash :) ) of my second jeep: 76 CJ-5. If I roll the Cheromanche and it crushes me inside due to my weak fence post roll bar, then so be it.

Bill

Great googly moogly that thing is sweet!! I skimmed though most of the thread but I have a few questions:
1)Is it moving under its own power yet?
2)How many hours have you put into it?
3)How big of a pain was it to run brake/fuel/electical all the way back? Did you extend existing lines/hoses or run new ones?

Good luck with the move. Hope it goes smoothly so you can get back to work on this.

Sorry I am a little slow on the replies. I am moving and haven't had too much time lately.

But here we go.

Okie: Sorry, I thought I got back to you, perhaps not. Sorry.

Driveshaft: I don't know yet. I wanted to go 1 piece, but I really don't think that's going to fly. Too long and too heavy. It's looking like a 2 piece now. But again, I don't know. I may start with a carbon fiber one if they aren't too expensive and then go to a 2 piece when get more time and $$.

Registration: I think it'll be as the MJ. I run nearly all the MJ frame and the drivetrain is essentially the same. The XJ had a salvage CT title. Dealing with a salvage title in Massachusetts is one of the most miserable things in the world. So I am just going to replace the dash VIN tag with the MJ one. They are only rivited in and the rivets are hidden by the dash. Double sided tape would do the job. But I'll "do it right". The only time this thing will be looked at by anyone is at the inspection. And they don't care what it is or the legality. Just the rules they have to play by. Plus I know the guys. :) For all anyone knows, it's an 87 MJ with a facelift.

Wheelbase: About 144". Turning radius: I don't know. Large. I am going to hook up the e-brakes individually so I can control them one at a time for a better turn radius.

Hours into it? I have no idea. I had good intentions of keeping track and I quit after about 4 hours. I would usually put a couple hours every other night into it. I spent almost as much time sitting and staring at it "thinking" as I did working.

Does it move under it's own power yet: Yep. In 4wd using the front wheels.
Fuel, elect. and brake lines: Easy. Just ran new ones. The fuel tank is a pain in the ass though. The XJ fuel tank doesn't really work and the new style XJ pump won't play nice with the old metal tank. It's still a pain in my butt.

And for a picture of this truck with 12" cut out of the bed. Stay tuned. I know a guy doing just that as I type. He took a long bed MJ and is inserting the XJ tub between the MJ windshield and the bed. He's cutting the bed where the cab stops. I thought to do a similar act on mine but the bed would have been too short.

He is not nearly as far along as I am but when I get a good picture of his, I'll pass it along.

Morgan

new pics and updates???

sweetjeep said:
Sorry I am a little slow on the replies. I am moving and haven't had too much time lately.

But here we go.

Okie: Sorry, I thought I got back to you, perhaps not. Sorry.

Driveshaft: I don't know yet. I wanted to go 1 piece, but I really don't think that's going to fly. Too long and too heavy. It's looking like a 2 piece now. But again, I don't know. I may start with a carbon fiber one if they aren't too expensive and then go to a 2 piece when get more time and $$.

Carbon fiber is HIGH DOLLAR.....I'd suggest using a two-piece, carrier bearing, type driveshaft like an extended cab s-10 has on it. Maybe you can get one from a 2wd...as it would be even longer. I know that the 4wd ones had these....I'd have to double check on the 2wd's though. I'm sure they do too.

With one of these you can set it up and easily build a custom mount/bracket for the carrier bearing set-up. Plus, you could get away with just lengthening .....say...the front shaft only...and that would be cheaper and easier...IMHO.

I've used an S-10 driveshaft in the back of an XJ....when I was in a pinch.... a few years back. I don't remember if I had to run a conversion U-joint....or not...but I know that I ended up getting it to work.

I had broke the slip-yoke right in the spline and the shaft impaled the pavement at about 15 to 20 mph...luckily I wasn't going any faster...but it still picked the whole rear of the Jeep up off of the ground and set me sideways in the middle of the street. This sudden little 90 degree trick......caused me to go up on 2 wheels with the drivers side tires about a 1-1/2' to 2' off of the ground. Luckily...it just sat there in mid-air...for what seemed like 20 seconds...perfectly balanced....and then it slammed back down without rolling. LOL
Aron

Last edited:
BigDawgz said:
Carbon fiber is HIGH DOLLAR.....I'd suggest using a two-piece, carrier bearing, type driveshaft like an extended cab s-10 has on it. Maybe you can get one from a 2wd...as it would be even longer. I know that the 4wd ones had these....I'd have to double check on the 2wd's though. I'm sure they do too.

With one of these you can set it up and easily build a custom mount/bracket for the carrier bearing set-up. Plus, you could get away with just lengthening .....say...the front shaft only...and that would be cheaper and easier...IMHO.

Aron
My dads 86 2wd has a carrier bearing.

Back