• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAL Cheromanche pictures

Personally, I like it. :thumbup:
More now that I know that it reallly isn't sway-backed.
Definitely a lift kit and bigger tires would set that off real nice. You need to post pictures when it doesn't look like a sway back horse and the comments should brighten up a little.
Dan.

sweetjeep said:
I nested the "frames" together and braced them each with a piece of 1/4" X 2.5" X 2.5" angle iron 4 feet long.
A question, did you use just one piece of angle iron per side, or one piece on each side of the frame rail per side? To echo others, I wonder if just 4 feet of it is strong enough to support that sucker under a full load and in an accident. I would have thought making full length rails out of square tubing would be safer. At any rate, who cares what I think, I'm all about the web-wheeling anyway! :D

I have the thing set up in the garage right now and I'll be taking some pictures of it (non bananna shaped) in a minute. It also has a set of way worn out 30's on it now.

The angle iron brace is welded both to the actual floor pan and the current frame rails. I would have used bigger, but nothing bigger could fit. Once I started going bigger it would seperate from the bottom of the frame rail and I wouldn't be able to attach it anywhere.

As is: I have only 1 piece per side and most people I spoke to locally seemed to think it would be fine. I do have enough to put another 4 feet on the other side of frame rail. As is I don't get any front to rear flex when I jack the side up on the point where the 2 original frame rails meet.

Keep in mind it's not a whole frame rail of JUST the angle iron. I still have the entire Cherokee frame until about the rear doors and then the Comanche frame nested on top of that for a foot or so. Then the angle iron on top of that.

TRNDRVR said:
Personally, I like it. :thumbup:
More now that I know that it reallly isn't sway-backed.
Definitely a lift kit and bigger tires would set that off real nice. You need to post pictures when it doesn't look like a sway back horse and the comments should brighten up a little.
Dan.

What he said , I think it's a great idea if carried out properly, I like the unusual.

hell ya thats a sweet unit! I like the idea, you staying with the origanl drive train or are you upgrading? keep up the good work, and creativity! cant wait to see more pics.

Well, I don't have much room for carring things in my MJ. It certainly solves that problem.

If it's safe then it might grow on me.

REAL !!!! and a lot of work! You get a ton of creadit in my book for an original idea carried through!!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for sharing

Talking about FSJ!!

What's the wheel base on that sucka? Damn.

It be great if you could update the rearend/lights, bumper, etc. to the '97 or newer style to complete the look. I'd like to see somebody do that, how the commache would have looked if Jeep would have continued it into '97.

Full cage, with full width axles, maybe some BushWhackers too widen it up a bit, and 37's. Yeah.

I took a couple pictures of it in the garage all level, but they suck. So I'll put the gas tank back in and take it out of the garage and level it tomorrow. It looks 2000% better when it's lifted level.

The rear has been lifted almost 6". I went with a SOA with the Chrysler 8.25. The front has to be lifted about 3-4" to make the truck level as it sits right now.

The drivetrain is stock Cherokee for now. 4.0 motor, auto, 8.25 rear. I am on a budget sadly so I am working with what I have. I hope to upgrade to a ZJ V8 and Ford rear end.. but that's well into the future. I kind of hope to finish this one and probably sell it before I can start a new one. But again, that's a long time off.

I built this thing mainly to haul dirtbikes and work on the house. I built it to be a truck.

There will be some more pictures tomorrow.

Ive been thinkin of doing the same..well sorta. Maybe a bit shorter and as said before mix a portion of a front door on the rear door to make it look right. For strengthening the frame ide use a 4x6x1/4" rect. tube cut in half to sleeve full length.
More pics would be cool. especially of the frame.

Nice job. I like it the way it is... so lifted... I'm sure itd be kick ass.

I love the creativity, a man after my own heart. I will build my dream tow rig one of these days.......... :pig:

1104397420_Honcho_Dually.jpg

1084619572_J10_Dually.jpg

Last edited:
What's funny is I had just mentioned almost this exact thing to my wife and Mom today...I was thinking it'd be cool to see a Cheromanche with a slightly shortened Comanche bed on it, say like a 4.5 or 5 footer. I want a 4dr (or at least ext cab) 4x4 pickup but no way I can afford anything available...

Back