• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about Factory Gas Skid

cykaaro said:
Looks good. Have never come across a factory one at all in my travels. Curious though as forementioned and yours are for the smaller tank. [dealer shows it as a 13.xgal tank] I've always had the larger 20gal tank and replaced my leaking one with same. Did they ever make a skid for the larger tank?
The 13 gallon tank was discontinued by Chrysler around 1990. Only size avaioable after that was the 20-gallon. Both are the same size physically. The smaller one had an internal baffle to limit how much fuel could be put into it. Same skid plate fits both.

Pounding the hitch over the skid? It wouldn't fit at all with the hitch between the frame and skid? Sounds like one of us has a non-OEM hitch then? I need to get a pic of my finished install...

Eagle said:
The 13 gallon tank was discontinued by Chrysler around 1990. Only size avaioable after that was the 20-gallon. Both are the same size physically. The smaller one had an internal baffle to limit how much fuel could be put into it. Same skid plate fits both.

Thanks Eagle. Didn't know that at all. Good to know if I come across the skid in my travels. Managed to get the front one so far.

I fitted a factory skid for a plastic tanked '97 on XJ to my '92 steel tank. it fits but you have to carefully bend the welded flanges on the sides of the tank flat or the tank is too wide. I trimmed the sides off the plastic tank cover too.

aardvark4x4 said:
I fitted a factory skid for a plastic tanked '97 on XJ to my '92 steel tank.
I've done this on 2 96's, but I cut the skids & added about a 1/4". JIM.

PstrKd4BrthCntrll said:
I can get about 16 gallons in my tank.
That's all my 20-gallon tank holds as well...after pulling off that worthless plastic shield it's pretty easy to see why. I've got a few gallons worth of dents in the underside...

Thanks for clearing up the question about the hitch not fitting between the skid and frame.

Back