• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Downward Spiral

I always wonder about this. Doesn't this make it more likely to run dry? Seems to me that if any of the pickups get above the level of the fuel in the tank the line to the pump inlet will drain out, which will result in you losing fuel pressure. Seems to me you'd have to use some funky check valve or tank pressurization system to make multiple pickups beneficial.
The whole point of them is for the above NOT to happen.
Rather than me typing out how they work :), check out this link: http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/pickups.html

I got one MP-15 and two MP-12s.

oh, that's really neat. I figured pickups were just open-ended tubes... I stand corrected!

pics.gif

- Threw a battery into it and cranked it over for a few seconds. Cranks like a champ. :laugh: I just wanted to be sure the engine was alright after sitting for so long before assembling the entire front end. No reason it shouldn't be, just wanted to be sure. Built up just about 55-60psi oil pressure as well, I'm good.

I’m sure there is something I’m missing in the above. Basically this weekend was a bunch of the little stuff. My next goal is to get it idling, but I’ve got a lot of work to get to that point.a

Hell yea!!!! Im gunna show up with some sensors for you and I wanna be there to witness white jeep live again!!!

does the batt. have plenty of hood clearence? just in case of a roll or a tree incident it could deform the sheet metal enough to contact the batt and cause a short

Hell yea!!!! Im gunna show up with some sensors for you and I wanna be there to witness white jeep live again!!!
Haha. You can pass it one to someone if you want. You don't need to drive all the way up here to drop off a TPS. :)
I dreaded that task on mine and it turned out to be ridiculously easy & cheap. I'll show ya what I did at NACFest.
Sweet, I like easy at this point. I'll have to check it out.
does the batt. have plenty of hood clearence? just in case of a roll or a tree incident it could deform the sheet metal enough to contact the batt and cause a short
Battery has plenty of hood clearance. I guess I should have mentioned it is only spaced up about 3/8".

I got a few things done last night.

- New thermostat, again probably didn't need this, but for the $6 including the gasket, why not?
- Coolant reservoir is mounted. It looks kinda odd, but it'll work for now. Basically I spun it around 180degrees and spaced out the mounting brackets so it clears my shock mounts.
- The paint on the bracket for the PS pump and idler was dry so that got remounted. As you can see, it now rides perfectly in line like it should. If you look above the tension adjustment you can just see the beginning of the joint where I cut and welded it up
RelocatedPSPump.jpg

- Orbital and PS reservoir remounted. Picture was taken before I mounted the orbital. As you can see I’ll have plenty of room to mount a cone air filter next to the reservoir. I ordered an Amsoil EaAU3051 air filter and EaPF25 pre-filter. Its more money I didn’t want to drop, but I couldn’t find anything cheaper that either isn’t oiled, won’t take 6 weeks to come in or Chinese junk.
PSReservoirMount.jpg

- Messed around with the pickups on the cell again.
I got asked about how I was adapting to the 5/16" line on the inside. Well, after trying to find an inexpensive way that was short enough not to interfere with the sump, I came up with nada. :( Here's what I ended up with;
Summit Bulkhead fitting -> Earl's -8 To -6 AN Female Swivel -> Aeromotive -6 AN to 5/16" hose barb

The Aeromotive fitting hurt to buy, but it was really the only option I could find. I almost bought the 3/8" hose barb adapter which was significantly cheaper, but after messing with this fuel line I'm glad I didn't. It is hard enough to get it on the correct adapters.

Picture of the entire setup:
WalbroPickupsMock.jpg

Close up of the above set of adapters:
Bullkhead_adapter_hosebarb1.jpg

In the tank (picture makes it seem like there is more space then there really is. Much longer and I wouldn't have room for the pickup):
Bullkhead_adapter_hosebarb2.jpg

And a quick two pictures of the inner fender trim.
Test fit the cut (this is 1/2" past full bump and full droop and obviously turned in). It is very tight, but I keep the battery box this way:
InnerFenderTrim.jpg

Patch completed:
CompletedFenderTrim.jpg

I'm hoping to get the radiator mounted and start working on the brackets for the coolers tonight.

Last edited:
Got the new radiator in and the coolers mounted. I'd still got to pull the support off one last time to drill some holes for the cooler mounts, but that won't take long.
I spent most of the night last night messing with fittings and orientations of things for the steering. Its very tight doen in that spot with the e-fan and the accessory drive being right above the orbital. I'm going to have to order a couple of odd 150 degree fittings for the reservoir, but no big deal.

At least the engine bay side of things is starting to look like its coming together. I've still got to run the lines, but visually its nice to see it taking shape again.

I've also got to give props to both PSC and Poly Performance here.

I had a question on some high pressure 45 degree fittings for my orbital in the steering. I fired off an email last night just giving Lance @ PSC a heads up that I'd be calling in the morning with a couple questions (mainly just so I didn't forget the details). I had a reply email back in under 20min and it was after 9:30pm his time. Gave him a call this morning and he had everything worked out and I didn't even have to say anything other than "ship 'em to me". Excellent.

I ordered the tender coils, triple rate sliders, and a fill adapter I needed for my coilovers from Poly Performance last week. I got a call the next morning letting me know that they were out of stock and they'd ship out as soon as they had them in. It wasn't even two business days before I had a tracking number. Its that kind of service that makes the difference. A quick phone call to me really meant a lot rather than leaving me out of the loop as some vendors have done.

Got the pickups all done in the fuel cell last night. Tip for those going to do it, don't forget to put on a hose clamp before seating all the lines on the barbs in the cell. It is hard to get a clamp started in the far corner with only one hand and no way to see what you are doing. :laugh:

I then spent most of the rest of the night planning and laying out the fuel pump, reg, filter location and line routing. I placed an order on just fittings (rather large for just fittings
icon9.gif
)I need to finish up the PS and fuel from Summit Racing. Hopefully those will ship today so i can have them for the weekend.

Tonight since I'm at a stall on plumb till the fittings come in I'm going to hopefully get cruising on the patch for the pass floor where the 3rd link comes through.

Got a bunch of stuff done this weekend, most not worth typing out.

- Coilovers are now charged. I ended up buying the PolyPeformance fill adapter gauge setup as it was all I needed with the other parts I could loan. I'm a little disappointed with the cheap gauge that it came with, but oh well. It worked. Now that those are all set I just need to throw the springs on them, set the stops and I can start finishing the rear assembly.
- Fuel system was all mocked, brackets made, etc.
- Pass floor patch was completed. It came out pretty good.
- Interior was then blown all apart, finished prepped, and painted. It took a long time scuff and to remove all the grim, grit, dust, etc from the floor before painting. I had it clean when I painted the exterior I was almost surprised at the amount of stuff that had re-accumulated.

Hopefully it'll be dry enough tonight to start putting things back in for the last time.

Last edited:
I got a bunch done this weekend with little to no pictures. I don't feel like typing nor posting them up now, so here is my "To Do" list. I'm sure something is missing from it.

To do/build:
PSC Hydro Steering - AXLE SIDE DONE
Panhard - DONE
Front fenders (sheetmetal and bars) - INNERS DONE AND PAINTED
Front driveshaft (cut down a stocker for now) - DONE
Re-gear and lock front D60 - DONE
Plate and mount steering knuckles - DONE
Final assembly both axles - BOTH DONE AND FILLED
Cover hole in pass floor from link mount - DONE
Belly pan - STRUCTURE DONE
Paint interior - DONE
Exhaust - DONE
Entire fuel system (cell, pump, reg, lines) - FUEL CELL, PUMP, REG. DONE.
Trans filter and pan - DONE
Trans lines and cooler
Entire brake system (MC, lines, etc)
Skin rockers
Remount seats, harnesses, etc
Air filter mount
Front Bumper
Rear suspension assembly
Front suspension assembly
Mount 3 of the 4 tires
Fill T-case
Fill coolant

To do/buy:
Front spindles - PURCHASED
Rear driveshaft - PURCHASED
Trans Cooler - PURCHASED
Triple rate springs/sliders - PURCHASED
Brake hoses - PURCHASED
Mopar TPS and IAC - Ross hooking me up for the TPS, IAC I found a spare.
CSF 3-Core Radiator - PURCHASED
3/8" UHMW - PURCHASED, GOT 1/2"
Winch (optional)
Misc Hardware - PURCHASED
Battery - PURCHASED (Thanks Adam!)
Exhaust - PURCHASED

A. does it run yet
B. is it off of jackstands yet?
C. does it move under its own power?

I will answer in reverse order.

D: Maybe.
C: Not quite yet
B: Soon
A: Even sooner.

I got the ram and steering on the axle side all squared away last night as well as running all the trans lines. I was doing great until I realized I was out of #6 SS hose clamps. :( I'll pick some up today and get that finished tonight. Then the plan is the grease the joints and throw the front axle back under.

Back