• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project DD is finally on the road!

so is this replacing the Heap?

ladywolf said:
so is this replacing the Heap?

LOL - Gawd no. Didn't ya read the title? Daily Driver! :thumbup:

The Cummins was costing $120 - $150 a week in fuel and the GTO isn't an all-weather car..... especially since I'm working in Golden where it's hail season and always seems to be windy (sand blasted paint sucks....)

So, it seemed natural to put together an XJ to drive around. Cheapest to fill with gas....... and I had a few parts laying around to fix this one..... :D

You should have gotten me to put together a VW for you. I am averaging around 32-34mpg in my 90 Golf. I got it for 400$ and put maybe another 100$ into ot counting my coilovers and sweet rims and stuff. It came with blizzzaks on the factory rims too so it does really well in the snow.

Tell you what, I'll trade you the VW for the new Jeep. :D

DutchVDub said:
You should have gotten me to put together a VW for you. I am averaging around 32-34mpg in my 90 Golf. I got it for 400$ and put maybe another 100$ into ot counting my coilovers and sweet rims and stuff. It came with blizzzaks on the factory rims too so it does really well in the snow.

Tell you what, I'll trade you the VW for the new Jeep. :D

LOL - yeah, I bet you would! :D

Sorry, I've got an illness....... I'm morally and politically allergic to anything made by the Europeans, Asians or south of the border......... And I'm going to be paying for that at the pump........... :D

YELLAHEEP said:
Steelers fan? Nope. Black certainly wouldn't have been my first choice but the price was right.

What light is that specifically?

Sorry, took a few days off. Yeah, Black Magic .

They used to do a headlight, too. Black until you powered up.

Steve

too bad those sweet little GM cars of yours were assembled in mexico. the radiator support and headlight assembly on my VW were built in Westmoreland, PA. They are off and 85 Golf. All VW Jettas and Golfs built between 1980 and 1986 were built in the US.

DutchVDub said:
too bad those sweet little GM cars of yours were assembled in mexico. the radiator support and headlight assembly on my VW were built in Westmoreland, PA. They are off and 85 Golf. All VW Jettas and Golfs built between 1980 and 1986 were built in the US.

Oh my poor, ignorant little friend...... you couldn't be more wrong. :dunce:

The 2007 Trailblazer including the SS versions are all assembled in Moraine, Ohio and/or Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

My '04 GTO was born, built and shipped from GM's sister company Holden based on the Monaro platform and brought to the US as the GTO....... Holden Corp. is in Australia.

ace+ventura+yes.gif

:D:D:D

..........Now, my Dodge 3500 on the other hand...........
571771469.jpg

Last edited:
well strictly speaking in terms of long/lat Australia is south of the border. :D

thats cool the trailblazers are still built in the us, my 98 S-10 was assembled in mexico. i was aware of the GTO being a Holden, but wasn't sure if they were actually imported as pontiacs or built here to Holden's specs.

Hey. Great looking jeep. I am interested in your Pro-Comp 3.5" lift. Do you like it? I want to keep my XJ as my DD for now but also want to run 31" tires. I was looking at a Rusty's kit but the folks on this site don't seem to be too keen on Rusty's. Just wondering if the Pro-Comp was your first choice or if it was dictated by a budget? :rof:

Is pro comp anyone's first choice.

Niced job Troy. I like my XJ as my dailey driver also. The 3500 ctd can sit in the driveway and look pretty

Yellow01xj said:
Hey. Great looking jeep. I am interested in your Pro-Comp 3.5" lift. Do you like it? I want to keep my XJ as my DD for now but also want to run 31" tires. I was looking at a Rusty's kit but the folks on this site don't seem to be too keen on Rusty's. Just wondering if the Pro-Comp was your first choice or if it was dictated by a budget? :rof:

Pretty much all of the 3" - 3.5" kits out there are so very similar that there's really no tangeable difference. RE probably makes one of the best kits, but the rest generally all use the same style LCA with poly bushings. The differences are in the springs. Rusty's used to have big problems with their lifts sagging..... dunno if that's still a problem lately. The shocks each vendor sells with their kits can vary big time. Deutsch Tech is a common generic shock that several vendors sell with their kits - with their sticker on them - I believe that's what my Pro Comps are. Another difference in these lifts is if it's an Add-A-Leaf or full leaf pack. Full leaf pack is the way to go.

So, with that said, Pro Comp would not be my first choice if price wasn't a huge concern. RE would get my money. But, the Pro Comp kit I put on this rig was brand new, and free..... yep free. I bought a parts rig that had this lift under it. I sold parts off that parts rig and made a few bucks over what I paid and came away with the lift kit for 'nuthin! It's the full leaf pack kit too.

I hate the Pro Comp shocks. Stiff as hell. The first change will be some Rancho 9000's so I can dial in the ride. Other than that, I have no complaints on the lift.

Another consideration - full leaf pack lifts tend to give more lift in the back than the front, so consider adding an extra set of isolators above the coil springs or a poly spacer to level it out.

Added a tire carrier. A guy on CO4x4 was selling it. I'd never seen one of these before. Made by Vetro. Very nicely made, but definitely not optimum for departure angle.... kinda like the Mopar tire carrier. The benefit of this one is that it doesn't attach to the hatch like the Mopar one, but the draw back is that it does wiggle around since it relies completely on the latch to hold it in place. I also don't really care for the location of the license plate mount - might have to modify that somehow. It does use a beefy 2" square tube mount that bolts to the factory receiver hitch location - I used the factory nut strips and mounted this up at the same time as the gas tank skid. I did have to remove about 4" of the tail pipe though.... I have to have the muffler and tail pipe replaced anyway so I may have it re-routed out the corner instead. It'd be better if the whole thing were made to mount on the driver's side.

I think it'll work out just fine since this rig won't see much (if any) trail use and it gets the tire outta the cargo area.

The price made it just too good to pass up.

P1011558.jpg

P1011559.jpg

cool the tire carrier doubles as a ditch witch :D

Led said:
cool the tire carrier doubles as a ditch witch :D

LOL - yes it does. I'm currently taking contracts to bury cable for Comcast.... :D

Hey what is that Yellow thing in the picture i dont think I ve seen that jeep before......................................:D

Back