• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Cheapskate

If anyone had not yet noticed, I was looking for about 3" and 33's. However, above I ended up with 3.5" RE pack, figure a shackle in there for 4.5-5".
Soooo, you'll be keeping those 4-1/2 inch coils. :D

Snagged this 242D off of CL just now, $100! Funny, when I was looking for one of these for the WJ I could not find one for less than $300 and nothing local, so add freight. Will likely go with an IRO HnT SYE for it and run a front shaft. The only other readily available option is a TW package, which is also a hack in tap but you have to send them the shaft. Novak makes one but I have only seen it on an AMG case and they are always out of stock, could not get pricing last time I asked. I am sure it is pricey as it has a billet machined retainer housing.

20170226144734-673a55b7-xl.jpg

20170226144729-5ec478c0-xl.jpg

Last edited:
Snagged this 242D off of CL just now, $100! Funny, when I was looking for one of these for the WJ I could not find one for less than $300 and nothing local, so add freight. Will likely go with an IRO HnT SYE for it and run a front shaft. The only other readily available option is a TW package, which is also a hack in tap but you have to send them the shaft. Novak makes one but I have only seen it on an AMG case and they are always out of stock, could not get pricing last time I asked. I am sure it is pricey as it has a billet machined retainer housing.

20170226144734-673a55b7-xl.jpg

20170226144729-5ec478c0-xl.jpg
What did that come out of, and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 242 that Sam gave me (needs gone through) for Nikki's '96.

I wouldn't mind having one, the full-time and part-time are nice to have, loved it in my '91.

Since SYE's for them are only hack n' tap, and the 231 in the DD XJ already has one, I'll keep it a 231.

That's my thing. For a rig mainly for wheeling why the 242. 231 is so much cheaper and readily available parts.

I want full time. Other than wheeling this will really only be driven when it snows.

That's my thing. For a rig mainly for wheeling why the 242. 231 is so much cheaper and readily available parts.
At this point, we don't know how that usage will break down. :shhh:

I am still wondering why the "D" case is more desirable than the "J" case.

Not sure about the "D", but WJ (V8) came with an "HD" 242, that had a 6-gear planetary and a 32 spline output shaft. I too was on the lookout for one when I had the WJ, as the AWD is a pretty awesome snow tool, but I never came across one for less than $400.

Soooo, I should be on the lookout for these in the junkyards?

Not sure about the "D", but WJ (V8) came with an "HD" 242, that had a 6-gear planetary and a 32 spline output shaft. I too was on the lookout for one when I had the WJ, as the AWD is a pretty awesome snow tool, but I never came across one for less than $400.

The D (V8 Durango) and the WJH (V8 WJ) are essentially the same case. 32 spline F/R output shafts, 1.25" chain, built in a 241 housing. The 6 gear planetary seems to be a mystery. The general consensus is that it is hit or miss whether your case has it. But I have not seen a single post with direct confirmation that their case had the 6 pinion. It's all second hand information. I am of the opinion that none of them received it. The benefit to the 242D in this application is that the Durango and the '96+ XJ have the same 23 spline .840" input. So it will bolt right up without swapping the shaft. Which you would have to do to install this into a WJ.

Here are some specs of the WJH case vs the J case. You can see that the torque max is not much more. As far as I am aware the 6 planetary cases have considerably more torque capacity.

Maximum Capacity Torque: 2028 lbs.-ft. (HD)

EVO 242 4.7 (00-03) pn 05003453AA
Type: NP 242, 244
Number of links: 49
Width: 1-1/4"

Maximum Capacity Torque: 1486 lb.-ft. (LD)

ERO 242 4.0 (00-03) pn 83504575
Type: NP 242
Number of links: 36
Width: 1"

IMG_2402_zpsadbeb563.jpg

Last edited:
Concerning use for the rig. This will be driven on the days it snows and will also be used for the trail. Given that it will likely see more on road use than off as far as miles driven, I would prefer the 242. Since this is a cheap build I would have used a HnT SYE kit regardless and I have a 32 spline output and wide chain already assembled in the case for less than I could have done that on a 231. I am not the type of person who is going to break a transfer case, so parts availability is not a concern.

Back