• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Probably should do this

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hey I'm Larry, I have a 97' Cherokee SE , it has the 4.0l, 8.25 rear axle(LSD), 231 t-case, magnaflow exhaust, mud terrain tires, stock suspension as far as I know. Originally I always wheeled with my friends because they had the rigs while I had a car :/ but now that I have one, I'm ever so slowly getting things saved, swapped, taken out, and built to make this my dd and weekend warrior. Plans if it works out is a 3.5" lift for now so if I do want to, I can add a shackle and spacer to make it 4.5" later. Mechanically I am very good. i can weld and fabricate, the only thing I suck at is electrical stuff(might need some of your guys help lol)
6a6yzuvu.jpg

That is my rig, Pretty excited.
Hoping to hang out with some of ya and learn and maybe to teach lol and eventually get my jeep to browns camp or similar to finally test it out.

Larry, very nice rig! Glad to have you here. We have a few guys down in the Salem area!

If you want, I personally invite you out to browns camp for the turkey day run! Meet a few faces and test out the rig! Just make sure you have an ATV permit and a properly installed CB radio, and you'll have a blast!:patriot:

So I guess this will be a sorta build thread/ progress thread lol
Decided to take off the plastic front bumper pieces on the sides
vahujyne.jpg

vatedere.jpg

upadure9.jpg

As you can see some of the fender cover is still hanging, curious as to what you guys do to fix this? Do you guys cut it off and cover it with sheet metal or not? I want to protect the horn thingys and all that.
zy9a4uje.jpg

As far as I can tell that bottom lip is some sort of plastic air dam thing, how do you guys take that off? I noticed and felt that its held on with rivets I think, do you guts just cut it off at the bumper?
asesemem.jpg

Keep fender flares or take off?

For the fender cover, i just used a pair of scissors to cut it off even with the bottom of the fenders. Since you plan on keepin your bumper on your horns will be fine. Bottom lip might as well rip it off too.

Ya that bottom lip has me stump because its not held on with a bolt and nut but something like a rivet I think.
Is there any temp fixes to chopping off the tubing after the muffler?
pyzy3a7u.jpg

Sorry for it being blurry but that is right after the muffler and its stock width, from the header to the cat it's been replaced to a 2.5 tubing so I'm wanting to chop the small tubing off and have it point down after the strap. But I don't have a working welder at the moment to weld a bent tubing yet. So that's why I'm curious at to any temp fitting or something I could do till I get my welder working and do it right.
Also should this have a cover?
3y7ebehy.jpg

If you still have the OE exhaust tip cut it off, then shove it back into the muffler. Then go to Midas for a new exaust hangar, weld that to your new exaust tip exiting your muffler.

Thats what I did, it exits right before tue rear axle.

Hope this helps Jason

FYI I did that on my 89 and the guy at the smog place rejected me. He said if they cant probe your pipe they wont even test you. If the tail ends at the axle they cant probe it. So I had to go buy flex pipe and rig it up so it came to the end of the jeep. Now this is in Vancouver, just my story.

FYI I did that on my 89 and the guy at the smog place rejected me. He said if they cant probe your pipe they wont even test you. If the tail ends at the axle they cant probe it. So I had to go buy flex pipe and rig it up so it came to the end of the jeep. Now this is in Vancouver, just my story.

WOW! Some dude wanted probe your pipe? No thanks.

When i did emissions in my old jeep i had the exhaust dumped right after the muffler, before the rear axle and it went fine. The guy crawled underneath and probed the pipe. :eyes:

Welcome to the club Larry.

If you still have the OE exhaust tip cut it off, then shove it back into the muffler. Then go to Midas for a new exaust hangar, weld that to your new exaust tip exiting your muffler.

Thats what I did, it exits right before tue rear axle.

Hope this helps Jason

I'll try this tomorrow, hopefully it'll fit, it has a magna flow exhaust to it so its possible.
Tomorrow I'm also taking the diff cover off the front axle since when I got the jeep, the vent tube on the axle had been gouged so I have to make sure there is no water in it. Looks like I'm going to be busy tomorrow lol

I just fixed my vent tube yesterday, my track bar took mine out. Its been modified now so hopefully I won't have that issue again.
I'm going out today to see if there's any snow.

Back