• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power trax no slip versus their lock rite

So for a DD it's better to throw a lunchbox locker in the front and a selectable locker (or maybe a Detroit?) in the rear?

Fish'nCarz said:
So for a DD it's better to throw a lunchbox locker in the front and a selectable locker (or maybe a Detroit?) in the rear?

A lunchbox locker like the NoSlip unit is FINE in the rear for a daily driver. Especially if you have a rear that will handle it(ie not a D35, talk to some of the guys who've broken and axle or two in a parking lot with one).

I can only speak for myself, but I am perfectly happy with my NoSlip in the rear and an open front diff. When and if I lock the front, I'll through another NoSlip in the front.

LilRhodyXJ said:
lol well i already have that issue parking at school... its inb the city so everyone has ricers and cute utes and i drive in and park my jeep with sawzalled fenders and big tires and people stop and stare...

Awesome. I'd take a big dented up dirty Jeep anyday over a ricer or cute ute. You show your different and am capable of working on your vehicle, full of adventure....I'm sure you stand out to the opposite sex.

If you are a guy you are a bad @$$, if you are a chick you are a cool girl next door tomboy that is one of the guys. Either way you are cool and different, keep it up. Now keep that jeep with gobs of mud on it and bark those tires. :laugh3:

Back on topic:

The only way to get rid of the noise that the lock rite or other lockers make in the front it to get manual lock out hubs. Don't waste you $ putting this on your dana 30, but you will enjoy this as well as not wearing out your drivetrain parts and not having the unneeded drag associated with the uni hubs that doesn't disco the front axle, just stops powering the front driveshaft while in 2 wd. With manual hubs only your tires/rims will spin, not your axle shafts and front driveshaft resulting in much less wear, better MPG, and being able to drive home on broken ring and pinion or other front axle carnage, you still need to replace your blown u-joints etc, but you will not have to worry about the axle locking up on you if you break the R&P.

The bad manner of auto lockers is attributed to the locker locking and unlocking when power is applied to it in 4wd, it will ratchet and slip when the t-case is in 2wd and there is just the small amount of movement from driving in 2wd without manual hubs. Don't worry about the noise, keep it in 2wd on the street and live with it. It's a cheap way to lock your front axle and you'll love it offroad and be more than tolerable on road.

Last edited:
Big Red said:
Awesome. I'd take a big dented up dirty Jeep anyday over a ricer or cute ute. You show your different and am capable of working on your vehicle, full of adventure....I'm sure you stand out to the opposite sex.

If you are a guy you are a bad @$$, if you are a chick you are a cool girl next door tomboy that is one of the guys. Either way you are cool and different, keep it up. Now keep that jeep with gobs of mud on it and bark those tires. :laugh3:

You should see how much a lift helps when u need a parking place and everyones scrambling for one!!!
"cant be late for class so i guess i'll just hop this curb" :D

LilRhodyXJ said:
Big Red said:

You should see how much a lift helps when u need a parking place and everyones scrambling for one!!!
"cant be late for class so i guess i'll just hop this curb" :D

Exactly. I also liked occupying the spots with 1/2 a mound of snow in them from the snow plow when I lived in the Chicago burbs.

Big Red said:
LilRhodyXJ said:
Exactly. I also liked occupying the spots with 1/2 a mound of snow in them from the snow plow when I lived in the Chicago burbs.

1/2 a mound! Why stop there???

Just a suggestion for all the people getting noise, clunks, etc from their No-Slip... use the heaviest weight gear oil you can find. I have never heard one noise from my no-slip and have been running it for about 6 months. Just my 0.02

uncc civilengineer said:
Just a suggestion for all the people getting noise, clunks, etc from their No-Slip... use the heaviest weight gear oil you can find. I have never heard one noise from my no-slip and have been running it for about 6 months. Just my 0.02

Using the recommended fluid you shouldn't hear any noises frequently period. I have no idea where you guys get the idea that they're supposed to click and pop normally. I can make mine pop if in reverse and turning but otherwise it's quiet as can be except for the tires chirping in tight turns. The syncro ring and it's quietness is kinda the whole purpose of the No-Slip.

I have just lifted my XJ and I am agonizing on what lockers to use. All the Wrangler guys say the limited sucks off road. BUT! I rode off road in a friends XJ. I was so impressed with it's performance I decided to do mine. When He let me drive it on the street the other day, I was also impressed with the on road handling, other than a little body dance. When I asked him what lockers he had, quess what? PowerTrax. Guess what my choice is going to be?!:huh:

My 98 XJ is a dd/trail rig. I run the PowerTrax Locker in the rear and TruTrac Limited slip in the front. It is excellent off-road. It steers a bit heavy in parking lots & tight turns on blacktop. Occasionally, I will get a slight push or pull in the steering in curves on the interstate, especially onramps. No noise at all from the TruTrac. Seldom do I hear anything from the PowerTrax. I love this setup and wouldn't change either device.
my .o2, DN

SBrad001 said:
F**king unnerving until you get used to them. I've had friends jump a couple of inches in there seats and asks, 'WTF did you break?!'

Cool just thought it was me. It just sounds awful when they crunch on a tight turn.

Back