• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

possible GM buyout

Either way they don't make the XJ anymore so who cares what they do? :D

X2
The 4.0 is a great engine, but its a dinosaur, its a wonder they kept it alive as long as they did. 4dr JK=Modern XJ

So 202hp and 237ft/lbs (jeep.com) is wayyy better than 190hp and 235ftlbs?

And as far as fuel economy? are you serious?

3.8L V6 best: 16.11 mpg
worst: 12.26 (Four Wheeler, April 2008, Long Term test.)(2dr model)

4.0L I6 best: 18.18
worst: 15.30 (personal tests, conducted over 5 tanks of gas)

I realize that it would have been a pain to get a 4.0L to meet current day emissions tests, and to also retool their factories to keep making the 4.0, but i see the 3.8L as a compromise, not an upgrade to the 4.0L. With modern day techonology on the 4.0L i have no doubt that it would make more power, and get better mileage than the current 3.8L V6.

Huh i thought they did oh well i would buy a Dodge with a Cummins anyways if i was getting a 1 ton

:doh:

A chain is always as strong as it's weakest link ;)

gm now nakes a z71 that is two wheel drive... its just an appearance package. what else can be said for their offroad capable vehicles... or lack there of.
So 202hp and 237ft/lbs (jeep.com) is wayyy better than 190hp and 235ftlbs?

And as far as fuel economy? are you serious?

3.8L V6 best: 16.11 mpg
worst: 12.26 (Four Wheeler, April 2008, Long Term test.)(2dr model)

4.0L I6 best: 18.18
worst: 15.30 (personal tests, conducted over 5 tanks of gas)

I realize that it would have been a pain to get a 4.0L to meet current day emissions tests, and to also retool their factories to keep making the 4.0, but i see the 3.8L as a compromise, not an upgrade to the 4.0L. With modern day techonology on the 4.0L i have no doubt that it would make more power, and get better mileage than the current 3.8L V6.
There's also plenty of 2wd trucks in the dirt now. It's not just crawling anymore. Z71 upgrades the shocks, tires, lifts it an inch or two, adds skid-plating, and in some cases a gov-lok rear diff. More than an appearance package.

Nobody's comparing the 4.0 to the 3.8L. However, if you are comparing them, keep in mind that they're being used in larger heavier vehicles than the XJ and the 4.0. Also, more power and equal torque from less displacement is an improvement in my mind.

keep in mind that they're being used in larger heavier vehicles than the XJ and the 4.0. Also, more power and equal torque from less displacement is an improvement in my mind.
More HP/torque from a smaller displacement is an improvement if the new motor is using the same or less gas. Unfortunately, in different chassis, it's almost impossible to test.

I realize that it would have been a pain to get a 4.0L to meet current day emissions tests, and to also retool their factories to keep making the 4.0, but i see the 3.8L as a compromise, not an upgrade to the 4.0L.
I hear that a lot, but I wonder about it. Combustion chamber/piston dome shape and cam profile are easy to change without changing the basic engine. 'Biggest pain on a 4.0 would be converting to a roller lifter system to get a modern cam profile. OK, so new head casting, new piston dome. Maybe a new intake and exhaust. How many head designs/intakes/exhausts/piston designs have there been for the AMC I-6?

The only actual problems with the I-6 were:
1) it's comparatively heavy.(hard to fix-cast iron block/long crank)
2)It's comparatively big(long)
3, and biggest) It was only used in one relatively low-production vehicle. The new Wrangler got the minivan engine because Chrysler has millions of them.

Pretty sure the term own, or buyout now days just means owning enough shares to have controlling interest in the company. I dont know if the government gave GM money or not, but I do know an investment company that has controlling interest of GM has plans to buy enough more shares to have controlling interest in Chrysler. At that point I do believe they can force talks between the two companies. They can go through and restructure and attempt to save the two...possibly using some of the government money(our tax money) someone referred to earlier.

The other rumor in the mill is the possible company that will be using the new v6 and v8 cummins engines, the small ones for the dakota and 1/2 ton size trucks. They announced months ago they would be for Chrysler, but current possible assymbly line changes could hint to me that they will go in a different (foreign) brand vehicle.

just .2 cents on the deal.

Big Hank

ill probably be the only one in the world to say this, but if this buyout does happen, i will give up on chrysler and move on to ford:(

at least move to something decent!! Like Toyota.....

at least move to something decent!! Like Toyota.....
the whole reason for switching to ford is the solid front axle.... and if dodge ever does make the switch to ifs, i would trust it more then any toyota:jester:... o and lets not forget, toyota doesnt make a truck heavy duty enough to deal with what i need it for:dunno:

the whole reason for switching to ford is the solid front axle.... and if dodge ever does make the switch to ifs, i would trust it more then any toyota:jester:... o and lets not forget, toyota doesnt make a truck heavy duty enough to deal with what i need it for:dunno:
They will be soon. Google 1 ton Tundra or Tundra HD. They've rolled out dually prototypes, have been hinting at a diesel, etc.

actually ive been in and seen the new proto type.
it was at the world Ag expo here in california this year.
its actually not a bad truck.
but were going to have to wait and see.
Looks pretty good, and if the diesel performs like that 5.7....:drool:

Back