• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pics of my 88XJ with front leaf springs - help the newb! LOTS of pics, 56k death

Satanic Goatslayer said:
Why with ABS? TJ with ABS too?

And, I hate to ask, but what's a TJ? I forget :eek: I know CJ, YJ (wranglers), and XJ.

Axle shafts for the front, or just the driveshaft from transfer case to front differential?
The ABS equipped axles had larger 297x u-joint in the axle shafts.
For wheeling purposes, these u-joints are much better than the smaller 260x joints.

TJs, are the Wrangler model after the YJ.
They all had 297x joints.

I think what you need to do is take it to an inspector because having a leaf sprung conversion is a major change from factory and at this point you may find that if you were to get in an accident you are going to be in ALOT of trouble for having this done, espeiccaly if its proven that the leaf sprung or the steering was the cause. I have a friend that did somthing alot less than what you have done and got in an accident and it went to court and the prosecution proved that it was his lift that caused the accident and cause he had coild spacers in there the lift company didnt back him up and he lost, losing his Jeep, home and most of his life savings for it. So check your local laws, get it inspected... just my suggestion, dont mean to freak you out but you should be aware of this.... I remember my dad whos a master mechanic and fabricator told me, that he was told when I went to fabrication school, " when you start fabricating and moddifying parts on a vehicle yourself, you end taking the responsibilty and liabitities of the manufatuer. even thou you didnt do this stuff to it, you are still responsible and liable for anything that may occur

Gasman said:
This would be called "Death Wobble" and needs to be addressed quickly. You might need new shocks but the common causes of DW are worn steering/suspension components and/or bad alignment. Check all the steering linkages for wear. Ends (TRE's or Heims) hould be tight with no slop. Check ball joints and leaf spring bushings. Replace anything that's worn then take it in for an alignment.

I thought death wobble was when the steering wheel shook. Now I know.

It tracks straight down the road but the wheel is 90 degrees off. It was serving purpose as a daily driver while my Civic was in the shop getting bodywork done. I have to put front brakes on the Civic tomorrow, then Monday morning I'll take it back over to the shop and I'll get a valid state inspection sticker. A ticket for invalid state inspection is $91.50 after the "fees."

One of my good friends is coming to visit next Saturday. He's going to look over all the suspension and steering parts and I'm sure he'll have a nice list for me when he's done. He has his state inspection license and is a damn good mechanic. I'll tell him to be anal about it.

twisted_ed said:
I think what you need to do is take it to an inspector because having a leaf sprung conversion is a major change from factory and at this point you may find that if you were to get in an accident you are going to be in ALOT of trouble for having this done, espeiccaly if its proven that the leaf sprung or the steering was the cause. I have a friend that did somthing alot less than what you have done and got in an accident and it went to court and the prosecution proved that it was his lift that caused the accident and cause he had coild spacers in there the lift company didnt back him up and he lost, losing his Jeep, home and most of his life savings for it. So check your local laws, get it inspected... just my suggestion, dont mean to freak you out but you should be aware of this.... I remember my dad whos a master mechanic and fabricator told me, that he was told when I went to fabrication school, " when you start fabricating and moddifying parts on a vehicle yourself, you end taking the responsibilty and liabitities of the manufatuer. even thou you didnt do this stuff to it, you are still responsible and liable for anything that may occur

OUCH.

We have state inspections here. They hit all the steering, suspension, tires, brakes, lights, body (holes from rust) including floorboards, engine/trans mounts...if it fails you don't get a sticker and the car is considered "unsafe."

I'll ask my friend the legalities of it set up like this too considering he is a state inspection mechanic.

oh, dont worry about the springs unless u see them bend more, or crack.
new shocks, get good ones for a 4X4, and i wouldnt worry about another diff yet either.
Solve one problem at a time, shocks first, then DW, steering, then whatever next.
Solve one problem at a time so u know if u do something and it goes wrong u know where to look, instead of trying to trace it though many things.

CHUGLYxj said:
where are you located in PA, I know I've seen that Jeep somewhere.

I live near Bloomsburg. The previous owners live in Dunmoore, which is near Wilkes-Barre or something. Apparently they got all over the place with this thing.

There's another XJ in my town that looks a lot like mine. Same color and bodystyle, but bumpers are different and I think he's on 33s.

oh, meant to ask.... do you have XMAS lights setup already?

It would be good to be inspected, if he is unfamiliar with Cherokees ask him if its a problem that it was once coil sprung.... I know I looked into it here in British columbia and i would have to tow it if I did, cauyse I dont want the responsibilities and liabilitys of the manufatuer

One thing about the Death wobble, I would concur that somtrhings not righ in the steering, you have two steering stablizers on the sterring components from what io can see in the pictures... on a good setup steering system you shouldnt even need stabilizers for the most part. I rebuilt my dana 30 with new ball joints and installed the currie HD steering setup and havent installed a stabilizer yet, no need for it as far as I can tell

from what i can tell, the two shocks with yellow boots that are up front are totally worthless. it looks like they are mounted to a bracket in the middle of the axle and then they are mounted to the leaf spring backing plates. it does look like he has a stabilizer at all.

-Tim

edit: ok its welded to the tie rod, not the axle, it was just a funky angle!

it looks like the left and right front leafs are different packs... one of them is bent.

check the heims on that rear ant-wrap bar.

welded tow hooks aren't a good idea.

poly leaf spring bushings can make it ride rough.

maybe try unbolting that rear traction bar and see how it feels over bumps?

looks mean

jjvande said:
it looks like the left and right front leafs are different packs... one of them is bent.

check the heims on that rear ant-wrap bar.

welded tow hooks aren't a good idea.

poly leaf spring bushings can make it ride rough.

maybe try unbolting that rear traction bar and see how it feels over bumps?

looks mean
ditto on unbolting the traction bar. It's probably binding your rear suspension.

The minute I saw the two stabilizer shocks, I figured the previous owner was fighting DW. The long shackles allow too much lateral movement. That is part of the problem. I'd loose those and check the stabilizer shocks ability to dampen short stroke movements off center. Replace them if they're worn. Adjust the drag link to get the steering centered so your power steering box can operate correctly.

what is a traction bar for anyways?

twisted_ed said:
what is a traction bar for anyways?
It prevents axle wrap under acceleration, which in turn aids in stopping wheel hop.
If it's not the correct geometry, it will bind the leafs under compression and extension.

Hey man glad to see you made it over from the "other" board

bobnoxious said:
Am I the only one who thinks that both the differentials are very bent???:gag:

yup ur the only one.
yousuck.gif

jeepdude10000 said:
yup ur the only one.
yousuck.gif

Oh...you're such a riot:gee: . Put a straight edge (something as simple as the edge of a piece of paper) against the bottom edge of the axle tubes (um, just the picture on your computer screen. You don't need to actually go to his house)...dem der tubes line up real good from one side to the other, eh?:dunce:

you can jack it up and turn one rear tire foward look under at the other side if it is rooling foward also you have a locker if rooling in reverse the your carier is open

Back