• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok, so I am dumb

i tried welding the joint together originally but kept warping the sheet metal from the heat or burning through the metal.

when brazing. it also drew alot of heat and started to warp the sheet metal. so i ended up stuffing alot of cold damp rags on the backside of the sheet metal to keep it cool.

Don't worry, you're not the only one who has done this. The PO of my XJ cut past the pinch seems in mine too. Been hiding it with bushwackers for a long time but I guess it's about time to do something about it.
3467380900_f7976d48a8_o.jpg

3467380732_91be34e62b_o.jpg

3467380556_7dc198566d_o.jpg

i tried welding the joint together originally but kept warping the sheet metal from the heat or burning through the metal.

what welder are you using? i used a POS 115 v welder on the lowest power setting, it still blew through the body a bit.

an OLD Lincoln...i didnt have the tig then. but the brazing worked perfectly...

Don't worry, you're not the only one who has done this. The PO of my XJ cut past the pinch seems in mine too. Been hiding it with bushwackers for a long time but I guess it's about time to do something about it.

I'm surprised yours didn't fold like a taco, being that you just sacrificed some structural integrity there.

I did the same thing... haven't fixed it.. wheeled the crap out of it... no issues.

Just gives you an excuse for tube fenders. Get some sheetmetal, form it the shape of your fender well, and weld it in place with about an inch lip sticking out (or more if you want wider tire coverage). Then bend some tube to match the shape of the sheetmetal and weld it on right at the side of the Jeep. Add another at the end of the sheetmetal. Then put another piece of sheetmetal on top of the tubes, weld, paint, and you have cool tube fender flares! :D

has anyone done this?? is there a write up?? pics I did the same thing and I like this idea

Back