• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter - Silly ideas

I guess I'm just old school when it comes to certain things, if it ain't broke, don't fix, if it is broke fix immediately. This has definitely been my approach to oil filtration, and the main impetus for this current mod is allowing me to use cheaper/more available 8A filters.

Also, given the high temperatures over the last few days, my jeep is clearly getting pissed at me for running 10w30, or maybe it's a cup low on anti-freeze, or maybe it likes sitting in the drive-thru at mcdonalds getting coffee for the wife as much as I do (not much clearly). But it sure seems to be running warm, and is not happy about it.

So, since everyone clearly has an opinion, and after reading a whole bunch of posts tonight, it seems WIX is the personal favorite filter brand, unless I'm mistaken? For completeness, the WIX 51515 is the equivalent package size to the 8A filter, what's the equivalent to the PH16? Looks like it's a 51085 anyone confirm this?

51085 Wix is stock size as is 1085 Napa Gold. 51515 is the larger Wix. 1515 is the Napa one. Napa filters are made by Wix.

Let us know what happens. I would be curious to hear what happens if you change JUST the oil filter and leave the current oil in there. I am suspicious of any PH filters with good reason.

Oddly enough I ran into the issue of the OFA 'nipple' being different threads between Renix and HO 4.0's just last night. I got an OFA off an '88 XJ at the junkyard hoping it might cure my leak (I've replaced o-rings on the existing OFA twice already and it still leaks), installed it only to find the new oil filter I'd picked up wouldn't screw on. I'm going to try swapping the 'nipple' back out for the HO one, but apparently I need to find an extra deep socket, mine is too short to fit over it.

Should the OFA on a HO motor be vertical or horizontal? Both of my XJ's (my current '91 and my old '87) have had it mounted vertical, but it was mounted horizontal on the '88 I got the new OFA off of. It doesn't look like there's really enough room to even get a stock size filter on and off easily if the OFA were mounted horizontally on my '91, and I like to run the larger 5.0L Ford filters as well. But since it keeps seeping oil, now I have to wonder if it's supposed to be pointing the other way...

Last edited:
Oddly enough I ran into the issue of the OFA 'nipple' being different threads between Renix and HO 4.0's just last night. I got an OFA off an '88 XJ at the junkyard hoping it might cure my leak (I've replaced o-rings on the existing OFA twice already and it still leaks), installed it only to find the new oil filter I'd picked up wouldn't screw on. I'm going to try swapping the 'nipple' back out for the HO one, but apparently I need to find an extra deep socket, mine is too short to fit over it.

Should the OFA on a HO motor be vertical or horizontal? Both of my XJ's (my current '91 and my old '87) have had it mounted vertical, but it was mounted horizontal on the '88 I got the new OFA off of. It doesn't look like there's really enough room to even get a stock size filter on and off easily if the OFA were mounted horizontally on my '91, and I like to run the larger 5.0L Ford filters as well. But since it keeps seeping oil, now I have to wonder if it's supposed to be pointing the other way...
IIRC, HO is when they switched to the Standard thread from the metric and facing backwards vs vertical. I've been meaning to swap out the one on my renix so I can run a larger filter, but it works.

As far as whomever is complaining about how much the metric heep filter costs, the Napa Gold ones are very inexpensive. And the Napa GOLD filters are made by Wix, not sure about the standard ones. I believe that the CQ Blue are made by Wix as well.

Let us know what happens. I would be curious to hear what happens if you change JUST the oil filter and leave the current oil in there. I am suspicious of any PH filters with good reason.

Well, at the moment I'm running a microgard MGL3985 because that's what I had, I pick up the new nipples tomorrow (one for me, one for wife), I think at present I have about 4-days driving on my current oil, for a grand total of about 200mi.

I checked the oil when I was out at the truck-stop off 395 and it's still as clear as the day I put it in.

I think all this "this filter is best and that one sucks" need some qualification. For example, a 50 BMG rifle is pretty bad ass, it will take out targets at very long range and punch holes in armor plate, and according to the guys in robo-cop, it will also shoot through schools. However, the rifle weighs 40lbs before you even put ammo in it, and when fired has all the subtlety of hitting someone in the face with a brick.

If you guys want, I'll put the fram filter in this week, and this weekend I'm driving up to norcal. I will take some photos of the oil, then I'll swap it out for the wix, and when I drive back I'll do the same? All you need to do is chip in on my gas bill! :D

When I started the thread, I was able to get on the OEM metric nipple with a 7/8" deep well I had laying around, it also looks like you could probably get on it with an open-end or box wrench without too much issue, however you might have to remove the OFA from the vehicle to accomplish this.

As far as your 91 goes, I would think sticking with the vertical orientation would be the way to go, the PH8A (common to ford), wix 51515, etc are the same diameter, just taller, which means it will be easier to get the filter out. I've always found the 3985 filter sits in there just low enough that you can't get a good two fisted grab on it to get it out of there and it's just low enough that you can't use a strap wrench either.

IIRC, HO is when they switched to the Standard thread from the metric and facing backwards vs vertical. I've been meaning to swap out the one on my renix so I can run a larger filter, but it works.

As far as whomever is complaining about how much the metric heep filter costs, the Napa Gold ones are very inexpensive. And the Napa GOLD filters are made by Wix, not sure about the standard ones. I believe that the CQ Blue are made by Wix as well.

My main complaint wasn't cost, it was more availability. Until I moved to washington I never went to napa, because the closest napa store wasn't on the way to or from anywhere I normally went, and getting there usually required passing it, and making a U-turn to get into the lot.

Oddly enough, up here in washington just about every farm store sells auto, tractor, and every variety of lawnmower/yard power tool part. It blew my mind the first time I walked in and not only found a new set of u-joints, MMO, but also all those high lift jack accessories I had always wanted/was too lazy to order online/didn't want to buy from 4-wheel parts.

On my 98', and 01' I used a PH16 size on my 4.0Ls.

My 06' Wrangler has a 90 deg adapter, and I run the larger PH-8 style.
Does your XJ 98 and 01 not have the 90* adapter as well?

And what makes you think it makes a difference?

It doesn't.

And here's a tip to those of you who care, the purolator filters from Walmart are made to a higher standard than any other filter out there. And they are cheaper.

Umm really?

That is like comparing cheap Chinese waterpumps at Autozone to the dealership pumps. We both know which one will fail first. Filter construction does make a difference. I've cut open quite a few oil filters, and you'd be surprised how many I've seen with defects. Its a $3 part versus a $7 part. I'd rather pay the $4 more for better quality.

Umm really?

That is like comparing cheap Chinese waterpumps at Autozone to the dealership pumps. We both know which one will fail first. Filter construction does make a difference. I've cut open quite a few oil filters, and you'd be surprised how many I've seen with defects. Its a $3 part versus a $7 part. I'd rather pay the $4 more for better quality.

yes really.

what exactly are you filtering out of your engine?

Correct. With my 1st one I thought it was strange. Another 98 came into my life. No adapter. The 01 showed up, no adapter.
That is odd. My 2000 has the 90* adapter. Is the block flat were the filter bolts to or is it slightly angle downward?

HO in the early days was vertical with SAE threads.

OK, so on my '91 it's supposed to be pointing vertical after all. I was getting really confused. Anyone know WHY they started installing the OFA oriented horizontally? Is there any benefit to doing so, other than maybe making slightly less mess when removing the filter?

The OFA in my '91 has the hex nut end, like a Renix XJ, rather than the Torx end like most later HO's. I'm wondering if it's supposed to use the o-rings that a Renix OFA would use, because I bought new ones at the dealer (asked for o-rings for a '91) and they don't seem to fit very well, and it still leaks.

I find it funny that Jeep made so many seemingly pointless, minor changes to the OFA in the XJ platform, and yet all of them still leak once the o-rings are several years old...

yes really.

what exactly are you filtering out of your engine?

Only one problem with labelling all filters equal ... comparing that cheap Walmart Purolator filter to a Fram filter is literally the same as comparing a stock Water Pump to a cheap AZ WP.

I don't buy gimmick filters but I do buy decent filtration for my engines (Ford Motorcraft FL-1A (Purolator) for my Jeep engines - 2.5L and 4.0L since '95) and a decent Purolator for the wifes Junky Jeep Underpwoered ('08 JKU Sahara).

A decent filter is a needed item, but not nesecarily the $20 top of the line high falootin all the Zoot filter most people get scared into these days ... a Purolator or Wix Brand filter is always a good choice in any form ... the quality control is there.

As far as Fram goes I wouldn't put one on a Bicycle

OK, so on my '91 it's supposed to be pointing vertical after all. I was getting really confused. Anyone know WHY they started installing the OFA oriented horizontally? Is there any benefit to doing so, other than maybe making slightly less mess when removing the filter?

The OFA in my '91 has the hex nut end, like a Renix XJ, rather than the Torx end like most later HO's. I'm wondering if it's supposed to use the o-rings that a Renix OFA would use, because I bought new ones at the dealer (asked for o-rings for a '91) and they don't seem to fit very well, and it still leaks.

I find it funny that Jeep made so many seemingly pointless, minor changes to the OFA in the XJ platform, and yet all of them still leak once the o-rings are several years old...
Being horizontal, definitely makes changing the motor mount easier. Altho, when I did mine I ran the bolt from the front back when I reinstalled it.

Here's a pretty long list of filters you can use on the renix after you do this 'upgrade'

and here is a list of what oil filters you can now use on your renix:

LARGER THAN STOCK (note: most of these can be used on a stock 91+ XJ with the horizontal housing. they are also readily available at most parts stores)
Ford FL-1A
Wix #51515
Napa #1515
Amsoil EaO15 "Nanofilter"
Baldwin B2
Baldwin B2-HPG
Bosch 3500
Denso 150-1004
Donaldson P169071
Donaldson P550008
Fleetguard LF3313
Fleetguard LF3487
Fram HP1
Fram PH8A
Fram TG8A
Fram XG8A
K&N HP-3001
Mobil 1 M1-301
Mobil 1 M1-301EP
Motorcraft FL-1A
Professional's Choice Q1A
Purolator PremiumPlus L30001(the one i used in this write up)
STP S8A
Supertech ST8A

MUCH LARGER THAN STOCK (note: these can ONLY be used on renix XJ's with with vertical housing. and these arent as easy to find in stock at most parts stores, though they can order them)
A/C Delco 2142 (forgot the leading letters)
Fram PH977A
Napa #1773
Wix #51773
Motorcraft FL-299
FL-299 Equivalents
Baldwin BT237
Baldwin BT251
Donaldson P550299
Donaldson P554407
Fleetguard LF697
Purolator PremiumPlus L40017
"GIGANTO" Filter
Napa 1714/Wix 51714

and where i got the list from:
More than you want to know about 3/4x16 oil filters(and some for 20x1.5 too)

Here's a pretty long list of filters you can use on the renix after you do this 'upgrade'

and here is a list of what oil filters you can now use on your renix:

LARGER THAN STOCK (note: most of these can be used on a stock 91+ XJ with the horizontal housing. they are also readily available at most parts stores)
Ford FL-1A
Wix #51515
Napa #1515
Amsoil EaO15 "Nanofilter"
Baldwin B2
Baldwin B2-HPG
Bosch 3500
Denso 150-1004
Donaldson P169071
Donaldson P550008
Fleetguard LF3313
Fleetguard LF3487
Fram HP1
Fram PH8A
Fram TG8A
Fram XG8A
K&N HP-3001
Mobil 1 M1-301
Mobil 1 M1-301EP
Motorcraft FL-1A
Professional's Choice Q1A
Purolator PremiumPlus L30001(the one i used in this write up)
STP S8A
Supertech ST8A

MUCH LARGER THAN STOCK (note: these can ONLY be used on renix XJ's with with vertical housing. and these arent as easy to find in stock at most parts stores, though they can order them)
A/C Delco 2142 (forgot the leading letters)
Fram PH977A
Napa #1773
Wix #51773
Motorcraft FL-299
FL-299 Equivalents
Baldwin BT237
Baldwin BT251
Donaldson P550299
Donaldson P554407
Fleetguard LF697
Purolator PremiumPlus L40017
"GIGANTO" Filter
Napa 1714/Wix 51714

and where i got the list from:
More than you want to know about 3/4x16 oil filters(and some for 20x1.5 too)

Would be a great list if you left off ALL Fram filters along with AC Delco, STP, and SuperTech.

Back