• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off-Road Trailers

To each his own I say....

I went on the old Mojave Road tour with some from Expo last October.

There were vehicles of all types. From a fairly new, totally tricked out, Wrangler to my homebuilt XJ, to a totally stock early 80's C-10 4x4.

We all had the same amount of fun.....

I have several friends there too, and I know a lot of people from here who are over there. It's not something that keeps me hanging with anyone. I just get a feeling of class warfare there a little bit. I would bet that a lot of it is just internet BS. The guys who use their junk most likely aren't the ones who turn their nose down at others.

I dont enjoy Expo as much as i used to. There are still a good number of folks who i'd like to spend a few hours around the campfire with, theres also a few who i'v assigned to my ignore list. That's a first for me BTW..

The site has been a great influence on gear i aquired, lust after and dont get the point of. It's going to be dependant upon ones needs.

I'd like to see our little board get a bit more traffic. In time i guess..

On Topic: I need to get moving soon on my trailer. Just the bare essentials i'll need later this summer.

We all had the same amount of fun.....

Maybe. I am at the age where comfort plays a larger factor in my decisions but don't have the resources to make it happen.

Thread jack -> It appears that Mojave Road will be popular with NAXJA members this season. Sierra trying to get up a run and SOCAL is planning a run. Probably a dumb question, but is this trail fairly easy to pull a trailer over?

Maybe. I am at the age where comfort plays a larger factor in my decisions but don't have the resources to make it happen.

Thread jack -> It appears that Mojave Road will be popular with NAXJA members this season. Sierra trying to get up a run and SOCAL is planning a run. Probably a dumb question, but is this trail fairly easy to pull a trailer over?

To echo the good doctor, a 1/4 ton-type trailer/off-road trailer will do fine. Cal drug his M100 across it one year.

We are looking for an off-road trailer. Mary wants to run White Rim Trail next time we are in Moab. I want to run Lassen-Applegate in northern Nevada. We discussed Mojave Road also.

We are looking for an off-road trailer. Mary wants to run White Rim Trail next time we are in Moab. I want to run Lassen-Applegate in northern Nevada. We discussed Mojave Road also.

Expo is a pretty good source for trailers, espescially if one with the bells and whistles included intrigues you.

Buying an M416 or CDN101 is a great starting point, add what you need as you can.

Mojave Road is perfect for an M416 size trailer, just don't roll the trailer!

I need to do Mojave Road again, it's been too long. If you do end up on a Mojave Road run I highly recommend mid April while the desert is in bloom. It makes for good weather and absolutely beautiful scenery.

CDN101 is a great starting point, add what you need as you can.

I'd love to get a 101 to cut up and make an AdventureTrailer clone. I just can't bring myself to cut up a perfect M416!

I just picked up a small axle to start building a small off-road trailer and was planning on Mojave Road being its first run...

My idea is a lot like that for a cut up 101CDN Fred. If I'm going to build an adventure trailer it'll have doors, drawers, blinking lights, mattresses, a fridge, a stove, and a fleshlight.

Well, since there's been a little more activity here on the off-road trailer thread I thought I'd give a quick update on my progress. Here's some refresher pics of my beauty...

100_8008.jpg

100_8013.jpg

So far it's been mostly parts gathering. I've taken the suggestions I've gotten here, spent a lot of time on ExPo, and come up with somewhat of a plan. I've already purchased a MaxCoupler from Adventure Trailers, a 3" Simple Swap Kit from RuffStuff, a set of what are supposedly lightly used OEM replacement Metric Tonne MJ springs, and a Dexter Trailer Axle (Dexter 3500lb Axle w/ 3" Tube (60.5" Hub Face to Hub Face), Straight Spindles w/EZ Lube, 5 on 4 1/2" Bolt Pattern, 10 x 2 1/4" Electric Brakes w/ Parking Feature, Internal brake wiring) from a fellow NAXJA member who happens to be a Dexter dealer. So much for this cheap trailer build remaining cheap!

I'll be building a box steel tongue with room for 4 jerry cans, a 20lb propane tank, and a tongue box for storage which will also serve as a stone shield and a battery/electrical compartment. Storing water in the old fuel tank was determined to be a bad idea (for a number of reasons) so I plan to use it for fuel storage and the jerry cans for water.

Other details are still floating around in my head and probably won't be determined until I make a little more progress on actually putting this thing together. So far I've tacked the spring perches to the axle beam and... well, that's it. Sorry for the lack of pics, figured a pile of parts would be boring anyways...

Any comments, suggestions? Please post up. My main concern right now is obtaining the proper balance between overall length, tongue length, tongue weight, etc.

fyrfytr... you have seen this thread? I'm sure he would be of great help to you.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=948548

BTW, that Chevy in the background looks like what my trailer started life as.

here's my MJ trailer build thread... in progress and soon to be updated...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=976048&highlight=trailer+mj

Thanks for the links guys. I've actually used both of those as some inspiration for my plan. I like Prepmech's axle and suspension, xj-grin's tongue design including how the tongue jack is stashed out of the way, but Xtreme XJ gets my vote for the MJ frame to tongue conversion. It's just so smooth and clean looking.

5kqf43.jpg

From: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983203&highlight=trailer&page=2

LOL -- I'm actually about to move the jack, since it is going to be in the way of the tounge box and mounts I'm adding for a propane bottle and a 5 gal water cooler...

Thanks for the links guys. I've actually used both of those as some inspiration for my plan. I like Prepmech's axle and suspension, xj-grin's tongue design including how the tongue jack is stashed out of the way, but Xtreme XJ gets my vote for the MJ frame to tongue conversion. It's just so smooth and clean looking.

5kqf43.jpg

From: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983203&highlight=trailer&page=2

Travis'ssss came out NICE... I wish I could say that there has been progress... BUT !!! too many irons in the fire... along with some laziness.

See YA !

Curt

Back