• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oddly optioned xj's

Out of the four I have owned here is the weirdest:

1990 XJ 2-door 4x4
4.0L
AW4 Auto
NP-231
Government Package in Canada. It was in metric. I had to swap the gauge pod to an american one.
Power/Comfort Switch for AW4
Had column shift, there was a black radio rack in the center.
Had Vinyl floor mats, no carpet.
Basic Steel Wheels
Bare bones. No options for comfort. No vent windows in the door or side windows. The wipers had two speeds, on and on fast. No tint, no power anything. No roof rack. Very basic AM/FM radio with two front door speakers. But get this, it had full skid plates (front/engine, transfer case, gas tank) but no tow hooks???

Yes, I know I'm quoting a post over 3 years old, but the thread is alive, so I figured I would add, and I have an experience similar to the quote.

I just picked up a Jeep last month that the people said they got at an auction, was a previous Government XJ.

'99 2 door
AW4
NP231
D30/D35
ABS
No tint or vents in side glass
Basic steel wheels
Front speakers only (don't know if it was a basic radio, as the OP already replaced it)
Nothing power except the mirrors
No roof rack
Full skids (T-case/engine/gas)
Tranny cooler
and, what surprised me, and why I quoted above, NO tow hooks.

I bought an 04 Acura TL, and it has a 5.1 surround sound system with a touchscreen nav in it and it plays DVD-Audio discs, pretty decent sounding setup for stock, and it has a tape deck. I think it's the only new car I have ever bought that had a tape deck. Weird. Makes me wish the DVD-Audio format had caught on because the system sounds great, if I can ever find a cassette I will have to see how it sounds in it. :laugh3:

my '04 VW GTI VR6 has both tape and CD - I think its so odd because in the year 2004 the demographic that would be purchasing that car (pretty much what I was a 23 year old guy) would never be playing a cassette tape - owned it since new and never even tried the deck LOL

Yes, I know I'm quoting a post over 3 years old, but the thread is alive, so I figured I would add, and I have an experience similar to the quote.

I just picked up a Jeep last month that the people said they got at an auction, was a previous Government XJ.

'99 2 door
AW4
NP231
D30/D35
ABS
No tint or vents in side glass
Basic steel wheels
Front speakers only (don't know if it was a basic radio, as the OP already replaced it)
Nothing power except the mirrors
No roof rack
Full skids (T-case/engine/gas)
Tranny cooler
and, what surprised me, and why I quoted above, NO tow hooks.

Tow hooks and skids were independent options. Opting for one did not guarantee the other...

my XJ is 2001 Sport, badged 60Years anniversary

2,5Tubodiesel engine
NV3550 tranny
Dana30
Dana35 with traclock (taragiclock :) )
A/C, power locks/mirrors/seats...
leather seats, leather wrapped steering wheel
all skid plates
tow hooks
trailer hitch

so far so good -although Sport was "basic" level,
60 Years Anniversary edition had many extras

cruise control- added by myself
242 selectrack T-case (replaced by me)

what wonders me is that i have high pinion front axle
and also there was never a 242 T-case in diesel, they ran only
with 231-command track. BUT i have factory original instructions for 242 fitted on sun visor.

Mine didn't come oddly optioned, but I'm making it that way. I have a '99 Cherokee Classic, 2wd. I replaced the radio dash bezel with a fake woodgrain one from a limited. I just purchased an overhead console, should be here on Wednesday. I also have a full-size spare. I'm also planning on installing cruise control.

Just trying to make it my own.

97 XJ SE

It pretty much came bare bone, except it had power mirrors. It did, however, come with the np242 transfer case plus a tranny cooler, which was weird . Of course, i had to add cruise control to it and the idiot lights had to go. You wont believe how remarkably simple it is to put luxury items in your cherokee. Its all plug and play!

97 XJ SE

It pretty much came bare bone, except it had power mirrors. It did, however, come with the np242 transfer case plus a tranny cooler, which was weird . Of course, i had to add cruise control to it and the idiot lights had to go. You wont believe how remarkably simple it is to put luxury items in your cherokee. Its all plug and play!

Your XJ sounds like mine. Only power accessories were mirrors & cruise.

Your XJ sounds like mine. Only power accessories were mirrors & cruise.

Yeah Im slowly but surely adding all the options to it. It even has Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo wheels on it!!! Im guessing it had the crappy looking stock wheels on it at first and then the previous owner changed them out in favor of the Laredos. Do you know if base model xj's come ready for power locks and windows?

Yeah Im slowly but surely adding all the options to it. It even has Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo wheels on it!!! Im guessing it had the crappy looking stock wheels on it at first and then the previous owner changed them out in favor of the Laredos. Do you know if base model xj's come ready for power locks and windows?

I'm assuming so. I swapped the full cluster for the gas/fuel/idiot light cluster. Other than that, I don't really care about adding any accessories. When I bought my jeep, I was looking for as few electrical items to go bad as possible.

If I want luxury, I fire up the "family sedan" (Mercury Grand Marquis with all the power options).

As for rims, I also have a set of Grand Cherokee rims (not sure what they are off of). But I'm looking to swap them for a set of steels I picked up afew weeks back.

I'm assuming so. I swapped the full cluster for the gas/fuel/idiot light cluster. Other than that, I don't really care about adding any accessories. When I bought my jeep, I was looking for as few electrical items to go bad as possible.

If I want luxury, I fire up the "family sedan" (Mercury Grand Marquis with all the power options).

As for rims, I also have a set of Grand Cherokee rims (not sure what they are off of). But I'm looking to swap them for a set of steels I picked up afew weeks back.

Haha I hear ya man. Those GM's are pretty comfy. The only thing I would really like to have at this point would be some power door locks. I added factory cruise control and the full cluster. They were plug and play. Im honestly thinking about adding some nicer seats in it because its my daily driver and I split my time between Florida and Charlotte and comfort would be nice...

Was at a junkyard the other day and came across an '88 that had met a pole or tree at a nice speed. What I found odd is that it had a sunroof, 4cylinder, swing away tire carrier, auto transmission, and dummy gauges. Had a stinking D35 though.

The only thing that struck me as odd about my '94 Sport is that it has the NP242 (Selec-Trac) t-case. Seems like a rare option on the Sport models.

The interior, however, is slowly turning in to that of a high-end Country/Limited :)

It already has a few goodies like power locks and windows, but I've added the following factory equipment from the higher-end models:
- overhead console w/ compass and temp display
- visors w/ lighted vanity mirrors
- clock
- miscellaneous missing lights (under-dash courtesy lights, ash tray light, and cigarette lighter ring)
- pin switches in the rear doors (for dome lights)
- factory fog lamp switch/panel (to replace the generic switch for my aftermarket lights)
- factory tweeters (mounted behind those grilles in the lower dash)
- auto-dimming rear-view mirror (okay, that one actually came from a ZJ!)

I'm keeping an eye out for the seats from a Country or Limited and the woodgrain instrument panel bezel. When it comes time to sell this Jeep, the next owner might be a little confused when he sees that the build sheet doesn't list all this "factory" equipment!

I have a '90 Basic Cherokee with all these options plus leather seats all around. It confused me that a "Basic" model would have all this high end equipment.

I have a '90 Basic Cherokee with all these options plus leather seats all around. It confused me that a "Basic" model would have all this high end equipment.
Not possible. You could not get leather in a base. Either the seats were swapped in, or you have a Limited that the badges were removed.

I've seen a weird one around here. 97+ XJ 4 door with two tone paint. Silver blue on top, dark grey on the bottom (fender flairs, bumpers, and on the door below the large crease), no roof rack. Chrome grille. It doesn't appear to be a custom job either. Real clean.

Im not sure how many odd options my Jeep has but I will list them out for you folks. At the begining of the year I purchased my second XJ, its a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. The interior is tan with what I want to say is vinyl on the outter part of the seat and a flannel pattern on the inside and the seats have electronic adjustment controls. The jeep was equipped with power windows, power locks, power mirrors, cruise control, transmission comfort switch, fog light switch and a factory premium sound package that included a jensen radio and six jensen speakers. Carpet on the floors, a rear back compartment cover that rolls up I dont know the exact name of the part. It also has a jack on the upper left corner of the last rear passenger side window for a cb radio. On the outside it has a rear tire carrier, OEM fog lights on the front bumper and chrome moldings all around. The best part is underneath the car, its running a Dana30 up front and a Dana44 in the rear it also has the class 3 tow hitch. Im running the V6 4.0L with an automatic transmission and another cool little piece is under the hood. On the bottom of the hood the jeep has a light attached to a band that lets you pull out and use throughout the engine bay.

Thanks for looking guys.

anybody out there have strange option combos?
ive got an 87 xj, 2 door, tow package (d44), rubber floors, all vinyl interior, 4.0 aw4 4wd, power steering cooler(tow package includes?), full gauges, and nothing else. so somebody ordered a complete stripper for people comfort and the heaviest duty drivetrain and components. rumor has it from the previous owner that it was a fleet vehicle down in Klamath Falls, OR. has a hole in the roof with a rubber plug in it and i found a shoddily repaired hole in the passenger quarter. qp mounted cb antenna and another one in the roof?

anybody else got strange equipment combos?

This is the same as my '87 XJ aside from the gauges. I have idiot lights. On the info I got from the state when doing a bonded title it says "Law Enforcement Edition" It has definitely had a light bar on the roof.

Back