• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oddly optioned xj's

LittleRedXJ said:
.... But the side stripes, I've only ever seen those one other time, anyone know how rare they are?

DSC_0237.jpg
Probably fairly rare nationwide, but not so rare in the area where the car came from. That stripe kit looks to be what I'd call a "Dealer Special" that came from a 3rd party, rather than Jeep. They were often put on by dealers to dress up the vehicles they were sent, without getting from the mfg.

streetpirate said:
somebody sure liked the '87 two doors for fleet vehicles, see them around the northwest having rubber floors and d44's. usually white with towing mirrors

HEY, no looking at mine without permission!!
3024245_16_full.jpg

And yes, mine does have the Dana 44 w/Trac-loc (though it quit trac-locking and just locks...)

BTW, mine came from the U.S. Park service, Oregon State division....(AKA Oregon State Parks)

Last edited:
Here in Wa. state old D.N.R. xjs are fairly common, they are stripper 6cyl 5spd, radio delete,trac loc, tow package & fully skid plated. the're red but they do have carpets. my son & I each used to have one but they are noisey due to a lack of sound deadening so I took the t/c & gas tank skids & the h.d. tow hooks with the 14" long brackets & put them on my 87 laredo & sold the stripper for a good profit. they also came with full size spares. My kid still has his, though much modified.

MIne is sorely lacking in underbody protection.....

The only thing I have is the front skid under the radiator....(which I think came on most of them anyway....)

Someone also swapped mine from pukegoat 5sp the the AW4 auto. Good choice for conversion, my left hurt like hell anytime I drove my old Mazda around for more than an hour in city traffic.....

mines a 99 sport with every option available, the only thing it does not have is painted flares and bumper corners.

the odd thing is that it has a Infinity sound system with tweeters in the front doors by the A pillar and an Infinity amplifier under the rear seat...my moms ZJ and two WJ's had infinity systems like this but I've never seen another cherokee with this sound system (i look in everyone i see too)

92, manual windows, seats, locks & mirrors. No clock, fog lights, tow hitch, skid plates, cargo area light, cruise control, rear wiper or defroster. Has a 4.0L, auto & part-time 4x4. BUT, it did have a 3" lift added. This was ordered this way & the only reason I know this is because I found the paperwork & factory build sheet

These days the government buys loaded Ford Super Duties in assorted colors. Thinking of resale value I imagine. Pretty sure the agencies lease through GSA, run them a year or two, then turn them back in to be sold through dealers as program vehicles. They probably don't save much by doing that, but they darn sure get nicer and newer vehicles for their (well, our) money.

Where I work, we keep vehicles until they hit like 15k miles or you can justify getting a different vehicle.

mines a 99 sport with every option available, the only thing it does not have is painted flares and bumper corners.

the odd thing is that it has a Infinity sound system with tweeters in the front doors by the A pillar and an Infinity amplifier under the rear seat...my moms ZJ and two WJ's had infinity systems like this but I've never seen another cherokee with this sound system (i look in everyone i see too)

If you look at my 98 it has full gauges and it's an SE, it also has factory tow hooks and skids, all added by me as well as 5 hole gambler wheels. The PO could have done the same or the dealer might have done it make it more attractive.

When I was shopping last summer I saw one. It was a 00 or 01 Limited. Had the Infinity system and leather seats that I think were from a WJ. I was wondering if at the end of the run they started snagging parts off the WJ line. The guy's ridiculous asking price and the bad noises coming from the front axle kept me from buying it though.

My 98 Limited has a Infinity system. I have new speakers all around but I still use the original system. I'm the original owner...when I ordered it I ordered every option including the Up-Country suspension and heated mirrors. It's Stone White with light tan interior. 178,000 miles and still running strong!

My 98 Limited has a Infinity system. I have new speakers all around but I still use the original system. I'm the original owner...when I ordered it I ordered every option including the Up-Country suspension and heated mirrors. It's Stone White with light tan interior. 178,000 miles and still running strong!

Hey, I'll trade you mirrors, if you trade it let me know, I doubt anyone down there would notice the difference.

'90 laredo with every option possible in '90 except a sunroof. power everything, tow package, limited slip (still works surprisingly), NP242, AW4, cruise, heck it even has a cargo cover, but it has crappy ABS, and full factory skids to boot has other options too but i dont want to name them all

I have an '89 Pioneer 2 door manual 4x4 with the 2.5L 4 cylinder and what I think is the AX4, though I have a suspicion that it's not the original tranny

Ive got a pretty odd Jeep i think:

97 Cherokee SE:
2WD
5 speed
Cruise
Full gauge cluster
3.07 8.25 rear axle.
Carpet
Manual windows
No Roof Rack
Power Locks w/ alarm (i added these in).

I guess mine seems kinda normal afterall. White 97 XJ with the basic cluster (fuel & speed), manual windows, manual locks, power mirrors, cloth with carpet, 4x4.

I kinda wonder if it was a fleet, but I havn't gotten around to carfaxing it.

Thus far my only mod is swapping in a full cluster.

96 COuntry 4door
white and silver

4.0, auto, np231
no power locks
no power windows
skids and recovery hooks

thing that makes me wonder is a sticker in the glovebox saying it has a locking differential... I thought all they had was limited slip. hmmm...?

Back