• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWFest, what needs to be done.

Weld mounts on the HP44 front, then re-gear it to 5.38 with an Aussie locker.
Weld spring perches on the rear 60, then re-gear it to 5.38 and install a locker.
Figure out the hi-steer.
Find front and rear drive lines.
Figure out a wheel/tire combo.
Hack the wheel wells some more, rig flares and mud flaps.
Weld up the Ballistic Fab 44 and 60 covers.

towing with a Durango ? whats the trailer weigh ? good luck :explosion
I've been doin some research.. i feel confident in the Drivetrain. other then rear sag, i should be fine.. This Durango is rated at 6400lb towing. WIsh i had the 5.9 to bump it up.. but i'd still rather be safe then sorry on driving my junk 200 miles each way.:dunno:

I've been doin some research.. i feel confident in the Drivetrain. other then rear sag, i should be fine.. This Durango is rated at 6400lb towing. WIsh i had the 5.9 to bump it up.. but i'd still rather be safe then sorry on driving my junk 200 miles each way.:dunno:

6400lb towing capability doesn't give you much "wiggle" room.

I sometimes tow my XJ with my 2005 Grand (5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 7700lb tow capability) and people have comented I must be nuts (unibody Grand).

Here is my math for my set up, yours obviously will vary, but consider this:
1. 89XJ weights about 5000lbs with trail spares and mild camping gear, no passengers.
2. Trailer weights 2000lbs empty.
3. Trailer tools, straps, spares, box about 300lbs.
4. equals 7300lb.

There are lighter trails, but not many and not much lighter. There are lighter XJ's, I realize mine is not light. You may not have any extra weight on the trailer. You also might be over-weight and OK with that also.

Only pointing out that 6400lbs towing capabilities is going to be "tight".

On a similar but seperate note you might want to also consider which way to get to Naches because there are several significant hills (both up and down) to get there.

6400lb towing capability doesn't give you much "wiggle" room.

I sometimes tow my XJ with my 2005 Grand (5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 7700lb tow capability) and people have comented I must be nuts (unibody Grand).

Here is my math for my set up, yours obviously will vary, but consider this:
1. 89XJ weights about 5000lbs with trail spares and mild camping gear, no passengers.
2. Trailer weights 2000lbs empty.
3. Trailer tools, straps, spares, box about 300lbs.
4. equals 7300lb.

There are lighter trails, but not many and not much lighter. There are lighter XJ's, I realize mine is not light. You may not have any extra weight on the trailer. You also might be over-weight and OK with that also.

Only pointing out that 6400lbs towing capabilities is going to be "tight".

On a similar but seperate note you might want to also consider which way to get to Naches because there are several significant hills (both up and down) to get there.

Valid points. I still got some time to think about it. But i have Plenty of Towing experience, just not with this rig. Cant be anyworse then hauling an XJ on a dolly with another XJ for 70 miles.. so we will see..

I've had issues, some of which I've worked out, others are in various stages of planning/work:

Replace toasted rear leaf springs: Done, thanks Jeremy
Replace VSS: Done, speedo still doesn't work
Replace/modify t-case linkage: Done, didn't fix problem. Further mods forthcoming.
Figure out charging/starting issue: Determined to be POS "dead" Optima after only 5 months, taking to 4WP for warranty this week.
Remove gauge cluster, attempt to replace/re-solder speedo to get it working: Pending
Convert useless A/C to OBA: Pending
Replace leaking front axleshaft and pinion seals: Umm, hopefully soon.
Fab bracket for aftermarket cone air filter: Done

I guess I'd better get my ass in gear here.:D

Ain't she sexy? Getting closer!

:D

AXLE2.jpg

AXLE1.jpg

Valid points. I still got some time to think about it. But i have Plenty of Towing experience, just not with this rig. Cant be anyworse then hauling an XJ on a dolly with another XJ for 70 miles.. so we will see..

FWIW . . . my durango had the same tow capacity. my jeep = 4500 empty. my trailer alone (10,000 rating) weighed in at 2500. that does not include tools, gear etc... the rear end is actually how they rate the capacity on them. needless to say my durango is no longer in my driveway :nono:

FWIW . . . my durango had the same tow capacity. my jeep = 4500 empty. my trailer alone (10,000 rating) weighed in at 2500. that does not include tools, gear etc... the rear end is actually how they rate the capacity on them. needless to say my durango is no longer in my driveway :nono:
well, i cant argue as i havnt done it.. I cant get rid of the rig as it fits my family perfect, so i was gonna use it this time as a trial.. maybe i'll tow the jeep up to TSF one of these times and judge the setup then..:hang:

well, i cant argue as i havnt done it.. I cant get rid of the rig as it fits my family perfect, so i was gonna use it this time as a trial.. maybe i'll tow the jeep up to TSF one of these times and judge the setup then..:hang:

good call. i would highly HIGHLY recommend testing it closer to home. i payed 1500 to rebuild the tranny in mine. . . . and that was a deal !

good call. i would highly HIGHLY recommend testing it closer to home. i payed 1500 to rebuild the tranny in mine. . . . and that was a deal !
thats common in the 5.9s.. the 46re has been the main reliability issue with the durangos. I have the 45rfe, witch from research, is alot stronger for towing

ok ok.. end thread jack:wierd:

True, it's more than a month away, get busy and get it ready.:D

I managed to get my Optima warrantied through 4WP after determining that it was in fact the reason for my slow crank/hard start issue thanks to Larry at Lynnwood Auto Electric. He gave me a on-the-spot draw test, charge test, and load test to determine that everything was fine except for the battery not taking a charge. He told me he'd get me next time when I asked him what I owed him, can't put a price on service and attitude like that!

Next up is the t-case linkage re-do based on the modification thread that's been floating around the tech board here for awhile. I have the S-10 NP231 shift tab, the rod ends and all-tread rod. I'll tackle that this week, maybe even tonight.

Larry will get my repeat business for my non-functional speedo/odo. After replacing the VSS and disassembling and checking/cleaning the speedo head electrical connections, it's still a no-go. I'll try to get that in to him late this week as well.

Goddamn it's been a long time since this POS was fully-functional and I could confidently wheel it. :smsoap:

Good news, Finally paid membership dues..
Bad news, 1% chance i'm makin it to NWfest..

looks like im out. Moving/Wedding/work leave no room with finances or time for another expensive weekend.
:'-(

UPDATE: Transfer case issue, SOLVED: Culprit: Disintegrated needle bearings hidden underneath planetary cluster on mainshaft. Cause: Unknown. Prognosis: If it lasted 17 years the first time, it ought to last through NW Fest.

Still to go: Dead speedo, replace leaking front shaft and pinion seals, convert A/C to OBA.

Back