• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np208 to np242 swap

island86xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 xj with a V6 and TF904 auto tranny. It has the np208 in there now that is selectrac. I want to put in an NP242 so I can have 2hi, 4hi(lock), 4lo(lock). Will the NP242 bolt right up. I realize the shifter is different but no biggie. I also have a nondisco D30 up front.
Thanks

Well, you would need to get an NP242 from a 1990 to 1987 XJ. You need the 21 spline version....Even then... :dunno:

Are you sure you have the 208 in there? That case was only used in the full-size Jeeps. They were a fixed yoke style case with a 2.61:1 low range. Re-read the tag on it and look closely at it. If it has a slip-type yoke, it is not a 208. And if it does have a 208, someone put it in there.
The 208 is a stout case, nothing wrong with it. They were used with V8 power and in up to 3/4 ton applications.
The case you more that likely have is a 207.

island86xj said:
It is a 208 fixed yoke with open internal diff. The only reason why I want to get rid of it is to have 4hi lock.
That would be a 228...not 208.

As for swapping, I have no idea...I love mine.

Wow am I ever f*$#%d up. You are right . I just had a quick look at the tag and seen the 2 and the 8 and assumed. The rest is pretty scratched up. I am sorry for the confusion. Maybe I should look for a 208. Man do I feel like a dumbass. Thanks for all your replies.

Back