• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie - Just got an MJ

dood. get that thing done... I have come to the realization that my XJ will probably never be trail worthy again, so I need to live vicariously through you.

So i am looking for a clutch for my mj. any one have any experience with aftermarket clutch kits or should i just go oem?

I have heard great things about LUK clutches.

or you could go get an auto:gag:

I have a Centerforce in mine and works like a dream.

Save yourself some cash and go with the Luk

Well, he went with a Luk.

He has dove into this project at the latest possible minute to go to JV on Friday.

He has the 4wd AX-15 in. The floor is mostly rebuilt. He has the Atlas clocked and flat in. We got the front and rear drivelines today. He is working on the master/slave for the Ax-15 right now. Need to finish the flat belly pan and add the needed supports to the underside.

Well....still lots to do but it is going.

2011-11-15_16-22-39_119.jpg

2011-11-15_16-21-58_287.jpg

2011-11-15_16-21-17_145.jpg

2011-11-15_16-22-22_608.jpg

That tunnel sure looks a lot better than the last time I seen it (yesterday).
Looks like all the hard work is paying off.

Ran into a complication with the front driveline. Manual trans+clocked atlas+low pinion D44 does not give enough angle to allow for the axle to drop out much.

Looks like we will need something like this and to turn the pinion up some more :/

saginaw%20standard.jpg

But its got an Atlas :p

one of the many reasons.

Beamer used to think my jeep was cool. now his is much cooler....
hence why I hate it :anon:

Avery, have you guys looked into Toyota drivelines, I know some TJ guys running those to accomodate for excessive droop.

Avery, have you guys looked into Toyota drivelines, I know some TJ guys running those to accomodate for excessive droop.

I haven't actually studied yet. I have been thinking about other solutions in my head like a TrueHi9 :D but haven't studied the feasable options yet.

ok so the mj is back on the road, After 3 full days and tonight. it seams like these projects just keep growing.

DAy one: Stopped at three separate auto parts stores on the way to avery's. pulled interior, driveline, trans and clutch. installed new clutch friction and pressure plate (with the help of julio).swapped 1310 in place of the 1350 yoke on atlas and realized that it needed a different seal.
located seal, purchased, installed. bolted trans to t-case and mated to motor. cranked it up and cut the floor around the clocked case.

Day two: reclocked t-case established final hight of trans and t-case, installed and adjusted twin sticks, welded and shaped in new floor. got a ride most of the way home only to have julio's battery die on him when he stopped to let me out.

Day three: rode bike to auto parts and got the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder (it took them a week to get it to me, when they said it would be first thing the next day) rode bike to avery's. cut flat belly pan out of 1/4" plate and drilled all the holes, modified fire wall so master would fit, in stalled master and slave ( got it all bolted up and pushed the clutch with my hand and the damn welds on the pedal assembly broke!!!) rewelded the clutch pedal, (twice) reinstalled, hacked exhaust apart and re fit to clear belly pan (didn't quite work) installed drive lines, found out that driveline angle in front would only allow about an inch and a half of droop below ride hight :( ended the day in disgust.

day four ish: went to work till 3ish, filled trans with fluid, cut apart and re welded exhaust, finished supports on the belly pan, installed belly pan, modified and installed shifter for ax15, ran breathers to trans and t-case, remembered to reconnect cps plug :) crossed fingers and started it up.

all in all it works pretty well, the shifter could stand to rebuilt on the ax15 and 2nd gear synchro is a little rough. the 4.3 to 1 t-case is low, did a lap around a parking lot just to test it out. I am sure a few things got left out but you get the idea

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so the mj is back on the road, After 3 full days and tonight. it seams like these projects just keep growing.

DAy one: Stopped at three separate auto parts stores on the way to avery's. pulled interior, driveline, trans and clutch. installed new clutch friction and pressure plate (with the help of julio).swapped 1310 in place of the 1350 yoke on atlas and realized that it needed a different seal.
located seal, purchased, installed. bolted trans to t-case and mated to motor. cranked it up and cut the floor around the clocked case.

Day two: reclocked t-case established final hight of trans and t-case, installed and adjusted twin sticks, welded and shaped in new floor. got a ride most of the way home only to have julio's battery die on him when he stopped to let me out.

Day three: rode bike to auto parts and got the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder (it took them a week to get it to me, when they said it would be first thing the next day) rode bike to avery's. cut flat belly pan out of 1/4" plate and drilled all the holes, modified fire wall so master would fit, in stalled master and slave ( got it all bolted up and pushed the clutch with my hand and the damn welds on the pedal assembly broke!!!) rewelded the clutch pedal, (twice) reinstalled, hacked exhaust apart and re fit to clear belly pan (didn't quite work) installed drive lines, found out that driveline angle in front would only allow about an inch and a half of droop below ride hight :( ended the day in disgust.

day four ish: went to work till 3ish, filled trans with fluid, cut apart and re welded exhaust, finished supports on the belly pan, installed belly pan, modified and installed shifter for ax15, ran breathers to trans and t-case, remembered to reconnect cps plug :) crossed fingers and started it up.

all in all it works pretty well, the shifter could stand to rebuilt on the ax15 and 2nd gear synchro is a little rough. the 4.3 to 1 t-case is low, did a lap around a parking lot just to test it out. I am sure a few things got left out but you get the idea

Fixed, for those who don't want their eyes to bleed....

Beamer/Avery. I need to see more pics of the exhaust and trans crossmember.

thanks.:yelclap:

good work so far. it pisses me off how much better this jeep is than mine.

We'll have more pictures as things start getting finalized. Still needs to do some more work to the belly pan, interior, etc. but he is getting there :)

Beamer worked on sealing the hole left by the twin sticks.

2011-11-27_17-00-05_107.jpg

Back