• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need shop in OC for lift and other work

FWIW, the Bilstein 5150s have been known to break where the top loop is threaded on. Get the 5125s which are the same shock and valving options without the little resevoir and a normal (non-threaded) loop on top.

I like your original idea of the 7100s ;)

Jump This said:
You should ask Johnny about how to run the Con....
I'm thinking that spending the extra cash for a newer XJ, then going off road...will result in the exact amount of damage that you would get from an older Xj at half the price.
Spend your money on your set up and cheap out on the rig itself.
:D
not kiddin'
RR

Cheap rig and look how well your's runs. :rolleyes:

well, not really surprised you're suggesting NOT taking a clean low mileage, more expensive XJ and then dinging it, denting it, etc.

someone had a really clean but older, built XJ, on the forum, for sale, but on the East coast. I will keep looking to see what become available.

any transfer cases I should avoid?

Jump This said:
You should ask Johnny about how to run the Con....
I'm thinking that spending the extra cash for a newer XJ, then going off road...will result in the exact amount of damage that you would get from an older Xj at half the price.
Spend your money on your set up and cheap out on the rig itself.
:D
not kiddin'
RR

No, he should ask me how NOT to run the Con. :roll:

Jump This said:
Do you remember what my XJ looked like three years ago??
I bought a cherry '96.....
then tore it up..
Oh...BTW anyone got a spare computer for a '96..:bawl:
Rick

I remember it. Getting tugged off Pumkin Eater :D

spacomponents said:
any transfer cases I should avoid?

I would say if anything, try to get the 231. I seem to hear about fewer 231s blowing up than 242s and there are a lot more 231s in the field.

I bought the little 1986 wagoneer with a 2.5L for little cash now i have the money to lift and tire it and a HP D 30 hope to be able to keep up with the big kids on the block but i think they will help me out or will stop me from getting to stupid with it. And i would definatly help on the wrenching sent you a PM also.

Plan and build for 33's, a good compromise that will let you run 90+% of the stuff out there.

I went from 235 to 31's to 33's in about two years. Could have saved a lot if I went straight from A to C. Start out with armor and tow points. IF you got the $$$ go straight for the kit if not piece it together over time.

There is a clean, 1 owner, black, 91, 2 door, 5 spd for sale in west LA, could be had for $1500. PM me, I'll give you the #.

Aaron

so karstic, what 33's do you run and what did you do to have them fit?

if I were to use those biggest Bushwackers, what lift would I need to run 33's?

I run 285/75-16's on my Ram 4x4 now, love 'em. they're 32.9" but fitted on my 7 inch steel rims, come out to a little over 33.

spacomponents said:

I run 285/75-16's on my Ram 4x4 now, love 'em. they're 32.9" but fitted on my 7 inch steel rims, come out to a little over 33.

5" lift with Bushwackers but I personally wouldn't use them (again).

spacomponents said:

I have BFG MT's. I got them for a steal. I'm thinking of possibly going back to AT when these wear out. Just not sure. Currently running ~4" of lift. Appropriate bumpstops along with trimming and stock flares, at least on the front. I would lean away from the bushwackers cause they're damn expensive if you end up breaking one.

For the front trim/flare I have the stock flares, I've just moved them up to the crease line on the fender. The rear fender wells are trimmed to the spot welds and bumpstoped accordingly.

thanks. I run BFG AT's now and they wear better and are quieter than MT's. there are other good tires out there too. look at the reviews and tech stuff at tirerack.com

Here it is in it's present configuration

index.php

OK, so we can turn this into a "here's my rig" thread.....:cheers: :roll: Just kidding, but here are a few recent pics of mine:

Current specs: 6" of lift, 33" MT/R's, Detours USA rear bumper, Rigidco front bumper, D30/D44 4.88, True-trac/Detroit, armor

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0076-1.jpg

100_2473.jpg

Last edited:
karstic said:
Plan and build for 33's, a good compromise that will let you run 90+% of the stuff out there.

I went from 235 to 31's to 33's in about two years. Could have saved a lot if I went straight from A to C. Start out with armor and tow points. IF you got the $$$ go straight for the kit if not piece it together over time.

hey guys, i got the shop and most of the tool you need to do the lifting, if you can round up some help and don't mind drive down to san gabriel, we can bbq , beer and knock it out in one day, if that ok let me know and i will follow up with the direction to my place,

:eyes: hey, San Gabriel is not far. my only issue is I don't own an XJ yet. I'm more determined than ever to go build a nice one,

because,

my friends with Wranglers are all making fun of me, kickin' sand in my face...

they suggested I get my XJ, add wheels tires, 3 inch lift and a 1" or 2" BODY LIFT, cause that's what all of them did!:moon:

Back