• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need shop in OC for lift and other work

spacomponents

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone recommend a few decent shops, preferably in Orange County, to take on XJ mod work, like a lift, gears, lockers, more?

I know 4 wheel parts supply, and there's shops specializing in poser 4x4's, but I'd like a shop that comes recommended. anybody know jeepsrus?

Your driveway is a good spot for it. There are plenty of people here who would be willing to help you find your way through it - myself included. We come a lot cheaper too .. food, beer, dinner, etc.

-C

Calm down Cal. :rolleyes:
This guy hasn't even submitted for a background check.
Could be one of those Earth Liberation Front crazies!
Now tell us.....

Do you regularly take a good looking female along with you when you go out four wheelin'?:laugh3:

If the answer is yes...
I'm sure we could set aside some time for a lift party.
If the answer is no....
Join the F-ing club!
:D

Rick

Personally I would stay away from jeeps-r-us... the one on laguna canyon. They are good at making the jeep look good and cool but nothing mechanical from them I would trust... I have an aquaintance that purchased a 28K scrambler from them and had to have the engine and trans done right afterwards. Look up alicia foreign auto over off via fabracante and ask for Clark... He knows jeeps...

Jump This said:
Do you regularly take a good looking female along with you when you go out four wheelin'?:laugh3:

If the answer is yes...
I'm sure we could set aside some time for a lift party.
If the answer is no....
Join the F-ing club!

Rick

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Come on Rick, this the way some of us get beer and food..

Anywho.... Cal suggests doing it yourself because you can find a lot of help around here. Some of us have nothing else better to do.. Plus, by doing the mods yourself, you'll get to know your rig inside and out.. And when, not if, when it breaks, you'll be know how to fix it...

I would just stay away from re-gearing.

Anyway... I don't of any good 4x4 shops.. Just stay away from T&J's....

Elias
Eh-lee-us

Hey Guys, thanks for the offer to help! I have exactly the same impressions of JeepsRus and T&J. I asked T&J a few questions, they sent over a proposed list of mods, $17K, that was only for the parts, no labor.

Can't see a way to attach pics for you, I'll have to search; sorry-newbie here. I've got a forklift at my shop, and sure rental spring compressors are available. And I'd say hell yes to beer and dogs. or maybe BBQ ribs and tri-tip?

only other shop close-by is Outlaw Off-Road, and they look like they start at about $10k for a basic 12" lift for the posers with their Super-Dutys.

You won't need coil compressors. It's easy to do without.

I hate to say this because I know the guys at Outlaw. But don't take your Jeep there. :)

And as everyone knows, I'll be there to help...if food is involved.

FWIW, I'm into mine for $3300 and that's on the RE 5.5" kit. Only thing I haven't done myself is the gear setup and I took good notes when Ryan did it.
Give yourself 2 days in the driveway to install a lift. You will need tall jackstands. The springs are easy to do, just jack up the opposite side and let the other side droop without a shock or anything to stop it from going down, spring slides right in. Make sure you put the clips back on the new springs, lest they fall out on the trail. :) Good luck. The guys in OC have done a few, you'll be ok. I highly recommend a full kit, take the money you save on labor and get a bigger lift to start. Mine went from stock to 6", none of this incremental crap. The RE 5.5 with drop brackets is a great start, or just go to the long arm kit. :)

spacomponents said:
can anyone recommend a few decent shops, preferably in Orange County, to take on XJ mod work, like a lift, gears, lockers, more?

I know 4 wheel parts supply, and there's shops specializing in poser 4x4's, but I'd like a shop that comes recommended. anybody know jeepsrus?

I see that your location is Laguna Hills. I am across the freeway in Lake Forest. I would be glad to help you lift your XJ. We can use my garage, I shoudl have most of the tools needed. As for gears and lockers, there are a coupel of olks on here that can do it, one in particular that I would recommend. I will let him speak for himself though...:shhh:

Now, tell us a little about you, your Jeep, and our plans for your Jeep....

Thanks all, for your wise words, and for the kind offer to help. Really appreciate it.

My plans for an XJ got started when I realized I need more space than my CJ's used to give me. And I wanted light enough to take on week-long trips in our motorhome. Samurai's a light, so are Wranglers, but the XJ has room for 2 adults and 2 dogs, or 2 adults and 2 kids, and gear, etc. So, the XJ is a natural. I got talking to Jeepspeeders, then their shops, and Deavers, K.O.R.E., Currie, and others. Kept coming back to an XJ.

So my ideas have been to use RE 3.5", or maybe 4.5", 7100 Bilsteins so we can go comfortably down Baja roads, at least a rear locker, and a winch. I want reliability, and to be able to go most anywhere in the desert, Baja, trails of Big Bear, etc. Rockcrawling hasn't been a priority, but I think I should have sliders, skids, and enough lift and tire to do 'medium' trails, whatever 'medium' is.

I got reading Sierra Chapter's and other's requirements for joining them on runs, and I'm just not sure I want to go to 33's, gears, u-joints, axles, etc. Sure it's fun, but it comes down to really how much I need. This XJ is to be my daily driver too. And there's that point where to go a little higher, a little, bigger, stronger, etc., starts running up the tab pretty steep.

So, I keep coming back to K.I.S.S., good tires, adequate clearance, great shocks, and at least a posi in the back.

I know you guys have opinions, so tell me what the school of hard rocks has taught you...

Thanks much, Gene

RE 4.5" kit. Not so much because of the height, but because its a VERY complete kit that is solid and stable, best bang for the buck IMHO.. and it's a good platform to build more on later, which you will eventually want to do, whether or not you realize it now. The smaller kits (even 3.5") don't replace things that you really want to replace, like upper control arms, some brake lines, swaybar disconnects, etc.

32" tires, or 33's. 32's fit without trimming, but 33" tires are easy to find if you suddenly need a tire .. like say, in baja. It's just a very common size.

29 spline 8.25 with 4.56 gears and a no-slip locker. 4.56 gears for the front, newer axle shafts with 297 ujoints.

Rock rails, a small roofrack. done.

Pretty much you can do it in stages, in that order, and do it pretty cheaply. Guys here can sell you the lift for ~500-600 or so, maybe just a hair more.

I bought my 29 spline 8.25 for $300 with a no-slip locker and 4.56 gears in it. I sold it for the same price. Later I traded a dana 44 housing and $250 cash for a dana 44 with 4.88 gears and a detroit locker. If you are patient and friendly the deals will come. You can get 297 front axle shafts that come stock on any 97+ TJ/XJ for about $100 any day of the week.

It sounds like a lot, but you can piecemeal it overtime and get a solid rig. don't let the posted requirements for larger group runs intimidate you, when you have a group of 12-40 rigs, one person breaking down means 30 standing around waiting for it to be fixed, so those runs often have very high "requirements". You can do your lift, find some 32" tires, run that way. Down the road you can buy a better rear end, run that. Down the road you can re-gear the rear end, and keep running - you'll get a lot of gas mileage back. A month or two later, re-gear the front end to match so you can run in four wheel drive again. Later add a no-slip or Aussie locker to the rear. Chances are until then, you won't know your rig well enough to really need a locker. :)

-C

Thanks Cal. You're right, need to think tire sizes IN Baja. do you know? is it 285/75x16 you're thinking is thee most common?

on the lift, I had been thinking complete, with brake lines, new rear springs, lower arms, SB disconnect.

what about tailshaft conversion? or use transfer case drop? angled shims? I'm planning on finding a clean '00-01, so I'll have the better joints, right?

Thanks!

A clean 00/01 will have the better joints. Do yourself a favor and get a non ABS version. That will also have the better rear axle.

Yes, with a newer one at that height, you WILL need an sye/tailshaft conversion. Don't do a hack and tap, get yourself a good AA/Currie one.

I can't really speak for baja from experiance, but I'd expect 33x12.5r15 to be more common than a 285/75/16, whereas here in SoCal both are very, very common. You could also go a bit smaller to 31x10.5r15, but I think you'd be happier with 33's in the long run.

I second the RE 4.5" kit with full leaf packs on 33's. I don't think I would personally go with the Bilstein 7100's due to cost. I run the RE 4.5" kit with ACOS and shackles and RE 5150's. I am right around 6" with 33" Goodyear MT/R's.

I have lifted my XJ 2 times. The first was an RE 3.5" "kit" with add-a-leafs on 31" tires, NO slip yoke and only minor driveline vibrations.

Then, about a year later I bought what I originally had wanted, the RE 4.5" kit. I went a little further and got adjustable upper and lower control arms, LCA drop brackets, ACOS, 1.5" lift shackle, slip yoke eliminator, and RE mono tube shocks. I also found a high pinion Dana 30 and Dana 44 that I had geared to 4.88, installed a Detroit in the rear and a true trac in the front.

Some of the very first items I purchased though were rock rails, a gas tank skid, and tow points (rear hitch and factory front hooks).

Definitely look around for a good 1999 to 2001 XJ. Maybe you will find one with a tow hitch. The rear axle should be a Chrysler 8.25 and the front will be a low pinion Dana 30. Gears, lockers, and axles can be done in stages, like Cal mentioned to save money.

Shoot me a PM or give me a call (714-319-7135) and we can meet and you can see what I have done. There is usually a monthly meet and greet where you can meet folks and talk Jeep. The next one will be in Jan. If you want to join us on a ride but don;t have your Jeep or are not ready, you can always find someone to ride with...

spacomponents said:
what about tailshaft conversion? or use transfer case drop? angled shims?
Newer XJs, 1997+ most always exhibit vibrations on mild lifts and it's pretty much guaranteed to happen on 4.5" and higher. Which kit you should get depends on which transfer case you have. If you have a NP231, get a heavy duty kit from Advanced Adapters or JB Conversions. If you have a NP242, get a Hack 'N Tap kit from Rubicon Express because nobody makes a real heavy duty tailshaft for the 242.

I'm planning on finding a clean '00-01, so I'll have the better joints, right?
Yes, BUT (and this is actually a very big but) the '00-01 use a low pinion front Dana 30. It has the larger joints, but less clearance.

Good advice, all of it, thanks again. Glad to hear 5150's are good. No clearance issues, huh?

I knew about the low pinion on latest XJ's and was planning to get a high pinion when it's time to re-gear. Interesting that everyone seems to move from the 3.5" lift, to more, later on.

I had pre-sumed that getting the newest config on the engine, think it took place starting 2000, that it would be a positive. And I figured swapping D30's was not a big deal.

Guys that run the Rubicon and similar trails, what's their minimum typical setups?

You should ask Johnny about how to run the Con....
I'm thinking that spending the extra cash for a newer XJ, then going off road...will result in the exact amount of damage that you would get from an older Xj at half the price.
Spend your money on your set up and cheap out on the rig itself.
not kiddin'
RR

Back