• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help picking tires for our terrain

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj 4.0 ,currently at around 5.5 " lift on 33x12.5x15 cooper stt's and pretty happy with them, I have run them 2 yrs now. This year I did the most offroading yet I have done, and got into the rocks alot more. Buddy has a tj on 37 inch toyo mt's and seems to be happy with them, so thinking of going to a 35" cooper or toyo m/t. Another friend mentioned interco as they measure out what they are advertised as he recommended sticking with a 33 or 34, but have heard a few problems with sidewall blowouts and tears.

Here is my list :
-trxus mts 33-34"
-ltbs 33-13"
-cooper stt's 35"
-toyo m/t's 35"
-baja mtz-35"
-baja claws-35"

I just picked up a daily driver xj so mine will see very little street time, but it will be required to hit the road and highway to get to and from wheeling places with two or three 3-6 hr trips on the highway. I hate mud, so it will see very little mud, except for in the spring when I can't escape it, probably be on a lot of rocky, granite type stuff.

So if you guys can give me some pro's cons. "dont buy that piece of crap tire" type advise I 'd be very happy to here it!!:cheers:

Heres pretty much how it sits, and the 33's on it seem to have a ton of spare room, not even close to rubbing, I may have to bumpstopp a wee bit more in the back depending on the tire
jeepmods022.jpg

thanks all

89 xj 4.0 ,currently at around 5.5 " lift on 33x12.5x15 cooper stt's and pretty happy with them, I have run them 2 yrs now. This year I did the most offroading yet I have done, and got into the rocks alot more. Buddy has a tj on 37 inch toyo mt's and seems to be happy with them, so thinking of going to a 35" cooper or toyo m/t. Another friend mentioned interco as they measure out what they are advertised as he recommended sticking with a 33 or 34, but have heard a few problems with sidewall blowouts and tears.

Here is my list :
-trxus mts 33-34" (Side walls are weak, I have been through 3 of them)
-ltbs 33-13" (Side walls are tough as nails, Buy the 35's can call it a day!)
-cooper stt's 35" (Have not seen them on the trail. Great tow rig tire)
-toyo m/t's 35" (Super heavy tire)
-baja mtz-35" (Dont have any info on it)
-baja claws-35" (Tread blocks clog way to easily, I wouldn't buy them)

I just picked up a daily driver xj so mine will see very little street time, but it will be required to hit the road and highway to get to and from wheeling places with two or three 3-6 hr trips on the highway. I hate mud, so it will see very little mud, except for in the spring when I can't escape it, probably be on a lot of rocky, granite type stuff.

So if you guys can give me some pro's cons. "dont buy that piece of crap tire" type advise I 'd be very happy to here it!!:cheers:

Heres pretty much how it sits, and the 33's on it seem to have a ton of spare room, not even close to rubbing, I may have to bumpstopp a wee bit more in the back depending on the tire
jeepmods022.jpg

thanks all

Is there a reason you don't have the newest generation of M/Ts on your list, the BFG KM2 or Goodyear Kevlar MT/R?

-----Matt-----

I had the KM2's for almost a year and only killed one of them by running the sidewall into a fairly sharp rock at 15 mph on a trail.:D

I now have the new MT/R with Kevlar and I think they are slightly louder on the street but I have yet to try them on a trail, I would go with either of these two tires for around here.

-Alex

I'm not keen on the bfg, my cousin has them in 33 and I'm really not that impressed, The goodyears are priced out of this world,and I havent actually seen opne ion person, and no local dealer, I can get the other brands on my list through the tire shop my bro and buddy work at for a good price.

How would the ltb's do if I have to hit the highway?

...the Goodyears are priced out of this world...
I just checked 4WheelParts for a baseline, they're ~$200 for a 33" or 35" Kevlar MT/R. Doesn't seem outrageous at all to me. :dunno:

Of the list you posted, I'd probably go for either the STT or MTZ (they're the same tire, slightly different tread pattern). The Toyos are too heavy to consider on a Dana 30 and are stupd expensive. The LTBs are just too focused on mud for my taste, and they're square. If you want the best Radial M/T, you need to consider the Goodyear.

-----Matt-----

I have the new MTR's and couldn't be happier both street and trail. So far they have worked great on everything but were most impressive on ice. I haven't been in deep mud yet, just a little slop but I have no complaints. This may not be important to a mostly trail rig but they balance much better than interco, but that's not saying much.

I have the new MTR's and couldn't be happier both street and trail. So far they have worked great on everything but were most impressive on ice. I haven't been in deep mud yet, just a little slop but I have no complaints. This may not be important to a mostly trail rig but they balance much better than interco, but that's not saying much.

X2 I couldnt be happier either with the new MTR's with Kevlar. Run great on street, trail, snow, mud you name it. Couple of weeks ago I ran them at around 5lbs. of pressure and did fine.

Joe

Here is my list :
-trxus mts 33-34" (Good traction for DD/Trail, poor balancing)
-ltbs 33-13" (Not an appropriate street tire, un balanceable, need beadlocks)
-cooper stt's 35" (great street tire, ok trail tire, keep it out of the mud)
-toyo m/t's 35" (INCREDIBLY heavy, ok trail tire, keep it out of the mud)
-baja mtz-35" (Same as STT's but probably more money?)
-baja claws-35" (Terrible all around, I have heard of others that don't agree with me)

Personally I would go with the Goodyear MTR w/kevlar, from what I have seen on the trail recently it is by far the best combination for dd/trail use. I don't think ANYTHING less agressive than this (read any radial) would be appropriate for a Jeep with cut doors, etc.

I would also consider standard TSL's (Bias Ply's) as the only non radial tire I would consider and still driveable on the street, but if you stay out of the mud it is probably not the best choice.

Michael

Seriously thinking about the goodyears, just getting some quotes

Back