• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help on home made control arms

steelmen

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone.

I am planning on putting 35" tires on my stock jeep.

To accomplish this, I plan to throw on 8" coil springs and making homemade control arms with DOM tubing and Johnny Joints.

Is this a good way to lift my Jeep to fit 35"s?

The tires are TSL super swampers, if that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
jerics4life said:
wat kind of tubing and joints should i use
jerics4life said:
planning on throwing on 8" longer coil springs and making homemade control arms with dom tubing and johnny joints

You answered your own question.
Punctuation is your friend.

Dont use all Johny joints....

What!??

jerics4life said:
i no im a newbie but y wouldnt want to use all johnny joints

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the worlds best speller, and that I leave out some grammer, but jesus what the hell are you trying to say?

a) you dont need 8" of lift to clear 35's
b) at more that 4" your going to need drop brackets or long arms
c) have you looked into this at all? do you know what a SYE is....and that your going to need one?

a) You dont need 8" of lift to clear 35's....
Okay, how much lift would you recommend?

b) At more than 4", you're going to need drop brackets or long arms....
I was planning on making the long arms out of the tubing with Johnny Joints.(Is that a good idea?)

c) Have you looked into this at all? Do you know what a SYE is, and that your going to need one?
Yeah, I've been doing lots of research on that, but I'm going to get the tires and lift on, so I can see what I'm working with first, before I start buying SYE kits.

Thanks for the help.
Please keep it coming....

jerics4life said:
a) you dont need 8" of lift to clear 35's
ok how much of would u recommend?
5-6" and trimmed fenders should be enough.

b) at more that 4" your going to need drop brackets or long arms
i was planning on making the long arms out of the tubing with johnny joints
(is that a good idea?)
Making your own long arms is fine. Research what joints to use.

c) have you looked into this at all? do you know what a SYE is....and that your going to need one?
yea ive been doing lots of research on that but im gonna get the tires and lift on to see wat im working with first, before i start buying sye kits
It's almost a sure bet that you will need a SYE with that much life.

Am I writing in Spanglish?

For me, It's faster to write in slang.

I'm sorry it makes it harder to read.

Wow, for a second there I thougth I was on Pirate 4x4 :flame:

Give a new guy a break, he has admitted he is a newbie and has questions.

If you are tired of answering these questions then quit clicking and replying to these posts.

Have a nice day :D

Timber said:
Only if that's the way your mind works.

Okay, I live in an area where there are a bunch of Fiddy Cent wanna-bes.
That being said, let's hear more ideas, instead of bashing my horrible speech.

jerics4life said:
okay i live in a area where theres a bunch of 50 cent Wanna-B's and its ghetto as hell; that being said lets hear some more ideas instead of bashing my horrible speach

well use what you said you were going to use.

And I live in the Bay Area in California, that is all I hear...I still speak English, and shut them up with loud Country and Heavy Metal.

jerics4life said:
Am I writing in Spanglish?

For me, It's faster to write in slang.

I'm sorry it makes it harder to read.
It may be faster to type in slang but it takes a lot longer to read because we have to translate it into something we can understand. In all seriousness it is a pet peeve of many here (myself included) and you would be better off taking the time to spell the entire words to the best of your spelling capabilities. To add some tech, JJ are good but RE's superflex joints are better because they are easier to rebuild. I have recently purchased some summit joints from Ballistic Fabrication and they are very similar to RE's and a bit cheaper. Most people use a JJ style joint on one end of a long arm and a stock rubber bushing on the other end. If you are using DOM then I suggest 2" .25" wall

ZPD said:
It may be faster to type in slang but it takes a lot longer to read because we have to translate it into something we can understand. In all seriousness it is a pet peeve of many here (myself included) and you would be better off taking the time to spell the entire words to the best of your spelling capabilities. To add some tech, JJ are good but RE's superflex joints are better because they are easier to rebuild. I have recently purchased some summit joints from Ballistic Fabrication and they are very similar to RE's and a bit cheaper. Most people use a JJ style joint on one end of a long arm and a stock rubber bushing on the other end. If you are using DOM then I suggest 2" .25" wall

Dude, you turned RED! :D

Back