• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED A PLACE TO WHEEL ON LI

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I live on long island and my xj with 33s and a re 5.5 is starting to feel like a body builder in a yoga class anybody know of any places to wheel on or around long island iv out wheeled the places i know thanks and sorry if this post is in the wrong place

I'm in the same boat as you. 33's and 5.5 and very few places to go.

I've got a permit to wheel on the beach, but its very restricted access. Its fun, but its just sand.

There were a few trials out near Calverton, in a private area, but I seem to remeber being able to get in and wheel there a couple years ago.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas...

Where on LI are you?
and yes, this is the wrong forum to post this - one of the mods should/will move this....

I'm never leaving B.C. 10 minutes in any direction , there's always somewhere to go wheelin!

bobnoxious said:
This is in the wrong forum.

You guys need to hook up with Long island Off Road... http://www.liorclub.org/.
Get used to having to travel to wheel legally.

thanks Bob, you beat me to it... LIOR is a great bunch and i have several friends there.. but as pointed out, they wheel up here in Ma alot... theres really nothing "legal" in LI except some muddy roads..

Its pretty frowned upon on here. so if your still going to do it after they explain the reasons not to, then dont talk about it. Ive almost completely stopped wheeling places im not supposed to, but there's a community about 30min north of me that has some trails that im sure im not supposed to be on. but Im good friends with the security guard and he said its ok.

Whats the rule on this site about illegal wheeling?

Dont talk about it.. or.. Nobody cares here?

Illegal wheeling (a.k.a. trespassing) isn't recommended or endorsed by this site, or by most public forums at this point. If someone mentions it, we try to direct them towards legal areas near their region, suggest local clubs or organizations, and educate them on why this is the better long-term solution and how it benefits everyone involved in the sport.

Usually, if directions to a 'known' illegal spot are posted, the mods will edit them out. Pictures of illegal wheeling are generally avoided as well, although depending on where/what it is, it's not as big a deal if the spot isn't identified. Obvious shots of ripping up fields, doing donuts, etc are pretty much frowned upon.

If after all that, someone is still intent on trespassing to wheel, it's generally taken to PMs, email, or off the site entirely. There should be no public affiliation of this club with any illegal activity, wheeling or otherwise - you'll see the same sort of response to people asking about removing catalytic converters etc.

Ok thats pretty much what I figured. The beach is boring after the 10th or 20th time, those sand roads out in the manorville and westhampton areas are ok but also get boring after a couple times. I know of one town of Huntington park that is undeveloped and doesnt ban motor vehichles. Every other one of their parks specifically states no motor vehicles on the entrance signs.

Oh I get it, you're still living under the assumption that Long Island is still part of America, where you can enjoy the woodlands and beaches and natural beauty that has been there for a billion years, Nope ,Sorry.

Ok thats pretty much what I figured. The beach is boring after the 10th or 20th time, those sand roads out in the manorville and westhampton areas are ok but also get boring after a couple times. I know of one town of Huntington park that is undeveloped and doesnt ban motor vehichles. Every other one of their parks specifically states no motor vehicles on the entrance signs.

um what? there is no town of huntington undeveloped park. caumsett state park allows cars access into the park for night fishing by permit only, but if you think the roads out east are boring, the .5 mile trail to the beach will put you to sleep.

um what? there is no town of huntington undeveloped park. caumsett state park allows cars access into the park for night fishing by permit only, but if you think the roads out east are boring, the .5 mile trail to the beach will put you to sleep.
There are quite a few undeveloped parks in the TOH, I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head. The best trails in the area are in one, that unfortunately prohibits motor vehicles.

There are quite a few undeveloped parks in the TOH, I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head. The best trails in the area are in one, that unfortunately prohibits motor vehicles.

i can assure you that any of the trails you are talking about arent worthy of a modified jeep, or anyone with any off roading experience elsewhere. i live in huntington and have been to every spot/park/beach/unpaved parking lot in my jeep, and there are none that even say you can drive in the trails. i know of one place that requires a "logging permit" to cut firewood but ive had my old hatchback in those trails without issues.

Back