• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nacfest 2017 General Poll!

I'm sorry I asked for feedback, and I'm not sorry too. That's all I was asking for, feedback. And we clearly have some. No one is looking to reinvent the wheel here, just look into the crowd for ideas to streamline things.Thank you everyone for your input, it means a lot and speaks volumes.
Again, I have no more to add at this time.

While I've not been to a lot of NAC Fests, I have been to three. These would be my observations, in no particular order.

The food has been great, but we really need to give Rich and Carol a break. I know when I've organized dinners in Death Valley, 1/2 the time I didn't even go out on the trail the day of the dinner. Setting up tables, chairs, etc. for 40 people, plus cooking the main course took most all day. If I did go out, I was back at camp by noon. So, if the campground can provide food, the quality is decent (menu sounds fine to me), and the price is reasonable, by all means go for that.

I've never had a rig at Rausch, but the line for registration can be horrendous. I would urge people to go over the day before if they arrive in time. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, have the forms available at the campground the evening before. A registration table could pass them out, along with the NAXJA registration forms, etc. And of course, if you need to register at Rausch, be there no later than 8:30am.

Pre-organized groups, along with a trail leader makes loads of sense. Doesn't stop someone for changing their mind at the last minute, but it's gives a reasonable idea of numbers. It may also help undecideds to pick a group. The other thing that is does is help folks like me looking for a seat , rather than having to walk around at Rausch, trying to rustle up one. I feel very fortunate that Rich and Carol took pity on me, my first year there, as I was wandering around aimlessly. And to Rob, whom I've bummed a seat from a couple of times. This also might help new folks feel more welcome. Maybe even have a sign up sheet for those who have extra seats, and for those who need a seat.

Coming back early will always happen, and I doubt there is much that can be done about that. Probably more variable because of weather, and carnage.

David Bricker / SYR

This is just a gentle reminder .... if you have a good idea (and there are plenty in this thread), the BOD will GLADLY welcome you as a volunteer.

I still believe that our departure time from the parking lot is fine. Some want it earlier and some want it later. Everyone is still getting all the trail time they want ... and hanging out as a large group in the parking lot in the morning is fun. You can meet new people, catch up with old friends, look over people's rigs. It's all part of the experience. Personally, I enjoy parking lot time as much as trail time.

With that said, I do think Jen and Keith's point about pre-designated trail leaders is the one thing we SHOULD implement. The trail leaders should get there early and park in a visible place with a sign on their rig. That way people can arrive and just get in line.

That is the one change I will certainly work on.

A couple points: Thank you for the kind words David, we love having you along for our event here, your insight and help count for an awful lot. Carol and I are OK as far as the dinner goes. Thankfully, the campground gives us a great venue for putting that on, and it's really not as much work as it would seem from the outset. Using the campground chef as our food source next year will save some behind-the-scenes work, but it was always something we knew going in that would be our responsibility, and we are happy to do it for our good friends!
Speaking of behind-the-scenes work, too little has been done in support of Jordan's major efforts in regards to raffle solicitation, and even on site registration at the park. By the first day's ride, he has already made a HUGE contribution not just to the event, but the club's operations as a whole. Hats off to you, I'm not sure enough people really know how hard you work at that, and being there should be your time to enjoy your efforts. I will make sure you get more help in that regard in the future.
Continuing that line of thinking, my recommendation for southern event coordinator, well, didn't exactly pan out. Historically, that's not a position that the other chapters use regardless. I'm all for keeping the position for the Northern end of our territory, it is needed there for reasons of geography. That said, do we try to continue with a southern coordinator, take that charge upon ourselves, or, as encouraged by national rules, bring in one or more "directors-at-large"? My line of thinking is that if we had some more folks more invested in the club, it could help drive conversation and traffic on the forum.
Let the debate begin.

Following up on Rich's comments, I agree we could use an events coordinator (or director at large, or whatever we call it) to schedule outings. Whether it's a work party, meal out, wheeling day, or multi-day event - we need more of them all.

Too many people these days are plugged into social media and not out actually DOING something.

The more events we can plan as a club, the better!!!

Following up on Rich's comments, I agree we could use an events coordinator (or director at large, or whatever we call it) to schedule outings. Whether it's a work party, meal out, wheeling day, or multi-day event - we need more of them all.

Too many people these days are plugged into social media and not out actually DOING something.

The more events we can plan as a club, the better!!!
Thanks, Jordan! Even if we don't always plan the events as a club, it would be nice to see posts about anything you mentioned, including shows. I'm feeling my way through this one to try to help drive interest in the forum, and keep the conversations going.

Paul & DITA are both pretty local to me, with a bunch more folks within a 1-2 hour radius...later in the year I'd be up for hosting a meet & greet / mild wrenching party (if needed) at my place. I'll see how my schedule plays out and see what I can do.

I'd love to see more variety in the forum as for conversation as well and while I know the Lots-O-Posts thread is popular it's the only thread I see on here regularly posted to and I can't even digest it.

What about some differing topics with time limits like "What did you do with your rig? - August" with a lock on it after august is over? Or a general "Let's go wheeling - August" thread or wrenching. Just a few thoughts in an effort to help, take them for what you feel they're worth. :)

If u go back to NACFEST 09 and 10 u can see some of the things ANDY and I did to get more group participation.

Back