• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAC-Fest prep thread

lobsterdmb said:
Made some progress on my jeep this weekend:

New front and rear axles with 4.56 gears are in. Only one big SNAFU. My RE super flex lowers are stuck on the old front axle. The lower bolt seems to have rusted to the inside of the control arm and won't come out even with a BFH. I am going to just go ahead and cut them off, then work on on drilling the bolt out at my leisure. In the meantime i ordered up some replacement arms so that I can wheel at NACfest.

Still to do:
Hook up steering and do an alignment
Install front locker
Install rear locker and Chromolly shafts
Install 4 new shocks
Get a new battery for the jeep so it actually starts
Find my coolant leak and fix

I've got less than 4 weeks, I better get moving!

Forgot to mention, Melissa got nice and dirty helping me put the axles in :loveu:

lobsterdmb said:
Made some progress on my jeep this weekend:

New front and rear axles with 4.56 gears are in. Only one big SNAFU. My RE super flex lowers are stuck on the old front axle. The lower bolt seems to have rusted to the inside of the control arm and won't come out even with a BFH. I am going to just go ahead and cut them off, then work on on drilling the bolt out at my leisure. In the meantime i ordered up some replacement arms so that I can wheel at NACfest.

Still to do:
Install front locker
Install rear locker and Chromolly shafts
Install 4 new shocks

I've got less than 4 weeks, I better get moving!

John, where did you end up getting the gears setup? I still havent done my new front axle, but was planning to start on it this weekend. I dont have a proper in.lb. torque wrench.

Thinking if it's cheap enough maybe i should just have someone do it to save time.

OverlandXJ said:
John, where did you end up getting the gears setup? I still havent done my new front axle, but was planning to start on it this weekend. I dont have a proper in.lb. torque wrench.

Thinking if it's cheap enough maybe i should just have someone do it to save time.

Ended up buying identical axles with 4:56's already in them. It turned out to be cheaper that the prices i could find to get the gears set up.

OverlandXJ said:

you want a reccomendation drop me a PM

Rob Mayercik said:
I'm probably behind on the news, but can I assume you got the clutch fixed?

Yup! Been running him quite some time now. Rubber from the master cyclinder got down into the slave and wrecked havock. All new from the master to the slave, friction plate and pressure plate.:sunshine:

Update on to do list;
Exhaust ----- Done
Sliders ------- Done
Pitman Arm - Saturday morning
Steering brace --- on hold. Going to have to see about frame plates or major mod to cross frame brace due to my custom receiver.

Prep thread ... hmmm...
- Hoping to get the 8.25 swapped in
- hope like heck to get a locker into it!
- Disable the ABS & swap in a dual diaphram booster I have sitting around
- NSS NSS NSS NSSSSS!!! Okay. Recently she's refused to start twice already, once with all power working, second time lost all power, then it simply re-appeared. Little bird told me it's the NSS going bad. I need to get that fixed.
- find out where the squeak is coming from (sounds like a u-joint) & silence it.
- Buy a new air mattress (does that count?)

well if anyone cares I just finished all new front brakes since it was pulling hard to the right since a caliper was shot, rotors & pads all old as hell.
Slave cyl is the only thing really left, luckily its external on my 96 & I did the master the other week. Some wierd noises still but whats new.

finished new extended steel brake lines (thank you Clayton) New front Pad's but I just busted the lower shock mount on the rear so every step forward I take two back :rattle:

gabe4 said:
finished new extended steel brake lines (thank you Clayton) New front Pad's but I just busted the lower shock mount on the rear so every step forward I take two back :rattle:
actually you took 2 steps forward and 1 step back, heck you dont even need shocks, or even brakes or that matter(but they sure are nice to have)

its starting to look bleak I have one weekend left and I really only have sunday to do it was I'll be at a drift event on saturday.

Anybody have any reason why after replacing my batter cables my odometer is telling me no bus and my oil pressure and tach arn't working. I'm also throwing a cel light and the airbag light.

grrr its always something

buh

'No bus' means the connector at the back of the gauge cluster is probably loose or unplugged.

I made a ton more work for myself after the Big Dogs event a few weeks ago. I dropped HARD off a 4-foot ledge right onto the front right corner and tweaked the frame up to the point where the mechanical fan was hitting it.

DSC03037.JPG

DSC03039.JPG

I finally got to borrow a frame straightener and portapower from a buddy of mine to pull it back today. Got that done and set about plating the crumpled spots.

DSC03297.JPG

DSC03298.JPG

DSC03299.JPG

DSC03305.JPG

Plated all the way forward to the front bumper mounts.

Still gotta get a new radiator and warranty the 35-spline stub that broke from the same weekend...but it should be wheelable in some form or another.

Gonna try and get the suckdown winch and driver side frame plate done tomorrow, then it's just a lot of little crap. In other news, I got that Friday off, so if I get it done I'll head out Thursday night, and if not I get another free day to finish stuff.

Damn Vette... that was tweaked alright! Looks like you shouldnt have any more issues with your repair.

I made a bit more progress as well... copied from my other thread.

Quarter protection is installed, also threw on the RoofTop Tent in prep for NAC-Fest in 2 weeks.

Interior is buttoned back up. Installed the rear door panels and cargo area trim after installing the tinted glass.

Rest of the day was spent drinking suds and trying to stay cool in 97* weather and prepping my new D30 housing for a R&P install. Hopefully next weekend.

XJreassembly2009.jpg

XJreassembly2010.jpg

XJreassembly2004-1.jpg

strated ettin my moms new jeep ready for the way down(theres no way im takin my truck) got some stock tires today for 2 reson,1-fuel milage, and 2nd cause the 31's rub like crazy on stock suspention(big surprise there) fter nc fest i should beable to start dumpin money into my rig aint much left, anyways 1 week and a half left i cant wait

Ok fixed lower shock mount and got my 34's on. Still need to build my spare axle's and hope my new rear bumper makes it in time.

lobsterdmb said:
Still to do:
Install front locker done
Install rear locker and Chromolly shafts done
Install 4 new shocks

I am hoping to get most of the other stuff done on weds and sunday. I still need to bleed my rear brakes too.

id hate to ask but in order to go i need help and a place to put in a new d30 driver side axle and ball joints all the way around. ill try to reagear and lock the front before it to

wicked_xj said:
id hate to ask but in order to go i need help and a place to put in a new d30 driver side axle and ball joints all the way around. ill try to reagear and lock the front before it to

Wow, nothing like waiting until the last minute!! If your ball joints are livable for now, we could probably do the axleshaft at the campground, but otherwise most of us are trying to get our own junk ready right now. I hope you can make it.

Back