• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my XJ stage 2 build thread

I have a stupid strong winch (9k, goes a lot farther than you might think) and it has managed to bend the mounting plate of the bumper for the winch. You're supposed to put a block of rigid metal (Idk what to use, something that will crack before it bends) underneath the bumpers winch mounting plate, thats like 12"x5" and like 1/4" thick and bolt it up like that, i didnt do that so that might be why, most people dont.

Seriously? That's the first I've heard of that. I just mounted mine up with a Superwinch EPi9.0s. Should I be worried? Did Treks advise putting in the extra piece of metal? What kind of a pull were you doing when it bent? I figured 1/4" plate boxed in the way it is would be strong enough to keep from bending.

well i mean a 9k which is pretty beast, it wont bend it as long as it is going to pull you out and you dont do anything funky with it, but if you drive against a cement block and your rig is NOT moving forward (thats the kind of pull i was doing), then yes it will bend the bumper before it blows the winch motor. Im not sure if Treks did, but i have heard that you should.

OK, that's good to hear. I thought maybe you bent it during a typical recovery pull. Regardless, I don't think I'd even have enough thread on the winch bolts to slip a 1/4" plate in there. I put in a pair of hardened washers (the mounting holes in the bumper were almost as big as the nuts provided with my winch) and I think I have maybe one thread sticking out beyond the nuts now.

Did you ever come up with a security solution for your winch? Seems to me the bolts are tough enough to get to in the first place, especialy the two front ones. I'm planning on just leaving mine as is. :eyes:

BTW, your rig is looking good. Seeing it helped me make up my mind to go with the TNT bumper in the first place. :thumbup:

Haha i appreciate it man, i like it alot but it doesnt get much attention on naxja because every one hates me :)

But be carefull with those winch bolts, mine were long because they were designed to have a 1/4" plate plus the 1/4" bumper, i didnt use the plate, soooo the bolts went so far throught they actually drilled into the winch frame mounts. Later on i removed them and used a dremel to shorten them. As far as security, its a pain to remove this winch, in fact, TNT suggests you install the winch while the bumper is off. But if i were you you can just tac weld a few tacs to keep it on. Dont use a bicycle lock or anything because a thief will bring cutters. My friend bought his YJ on 37s (dana 30 fronf haha) with a winch already on it, it looked stolen as the mounts where broken and the serial number was scratched out :D

just some recent pics someone sent to me, these are from when i took it out to see how well the tires did in the mud, i have yet to find any good hilly trails out here in eastern NC, im from central NC in the peidmont where its more hilly.

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

pardon the distraction

hah some girls just love offroading.. and the backseat :O
haha i remember when i could fold down my back seat. Good times... Good times :D

I had them early on, sold them when i needed money bad. Ive got a lot of things i need to get, but right now its going to be not getting much help seeing that its close to having to be sold due to financial reasons

Back