• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My First Jeep, How did I Do?

elicriffield

NAXJA Forum User
I finally have my first Jeep. I’ve always wanted one and finally decided I should get a cherokee (after seeing prices of used 4 door wranglers).

Here’s some pictures: http://goo.gl/qaRbG

It’s a 1991 Cherokee. I looked for a while for a rust free cherokee in the budget. They where all more than I wanted to spend. Then found this one. It needs a lot of work but the modifications to make it offroad ready have already been done.

So my question is how’d I do? Instead of saying how much I spent I’d like to find out what everyone thinks it’s worth and then, unless I’m to embarrassed to say, I’ll say what I paid.

The Good:
* It was built in 2006 by burnsvilleoffroad.com
* Front Long Arm 4.5” lift (i think maybe 6.5”)
* Rear 4 Link with coil springs.
* Locking differentials front and back. I can’t remember what he said, lockright eatons or something. They don’t have an any kind of switch to them.
* Slip yoke Eliminator.
* Big tie rod and track bar in the front
* sway bar quick disconnect in the front (no sway bar).
* The engine was recently rebuilt in 2006, runs great but haven't checked compression or anything yet.
* Full Exo Cage
* Smitty 12,000lb winch
* Two KC lights (that look like they should work but don’t turn on)
* 33x12.5x15 TRXUS MT Tires, with good spare.

The Bad:
* Windows don’t roll down
* Not all doors lock
* No sway bars in front to connect to those disconnects, in back the links are broke.
* Interior is just very ruff, like no headliner etc, seats are trashed, smells like chew
* I don’t know if I’d call it a death wobble, but it wobbles at above 60MPH
* It leans to the passenger side, maybe an inch or two.
* It pops when it turns
* The brakes are very bad, no need for anti-locks slamming on them and it still can’t lock them up.
* No mirrors.
* Haven’t got the back open, it’s stuck somewhere.

The Ugly:
* Every body panel is beat up, the exo cage was after a couple roll overs.
* Front Grill has a kind of zombie attack vehicle thing going.

So what do you think it’s worth?

Eli

Hmm, maybe i paid to much but around here you can't find anything but a stock basket case that you can Flintstone you're feet though the floor for $1000. Low rust cherokees are $3k to $4k and rust free ones start at $5k at least.

It's not important after the fact to ask "How did I do".

Do you like it?
Can you fix the flaws?

If both True, then you "Did good" :D

Good point, I do like it. The flaws that i care about i can fix, and mostly with junk yard parts so it shouldn't be to hard or expensive. As for the body, I'm just going to make it look as mean as possible, dents will help.

It's not important after the fact to ask "How did I do".

Do you like it?
Can you fix the flaws?

If both True, then you "Did good" :D

Wait, they kept the Dana 35? I have a feeling you paid too much. :eyes:

I thought that was the Chrysler 8.25? I might be mistaken though. Could have sworn the 35 was more of a boxish shape?

And quite honestly I wouldn't have paid anymore than about a grand for that, it looks pretty beat and the exo looks like crap. If you like it and can fix all the issues then sweet!

I too, bought a "built" XJ. It had all the right name parts in it: ARB lockers front and rear, properly geared, Warn winch. It was the body style and transmission that I wanted.

Now, three years later, I have replaced the motor, trans, T-Case, front and rear axles, springs, shocks, bumper, winch, tires. Now, it is mechanically sound, and time to start getting rid of stupid stuff - low end driving lights, uncomfortable "racing" seats, and so forth.

I don't regret my purchase - it got me wheeling what I needed to wheel immediately. But, it is probably cheaper in the long run to build a stocker than fix someone else's cobble job.

Nonetheless, you have a decent baseline. Change what you want or need to change as you can afford to , or have to change. It's a good start. Read on these forums what has worked for people, and make your choices.

Also, consider joining NAXJA! It's March membership drive time, and there are some cool prizes to be won. The $35 a year for membership isn't even a tank of gas, and the value is clearly more than $35.

David Bricker / SYR

Yeah I'm defiantly going to join NAXJA.
How bad is the dana 35? Is that something i should look at replacing before doing any serious wheeling? It does seem weird that when it was originality built they put lockers in it, re-geared it for 4.88, changed out the rear suspension for coil overs and left the dana 35, Seems like that would of been the time to upgrade. Is it possible there are internal upgrades to make it stronger.

Eli

Yeah I'm defiantly going to join NAXJA.
How bad is the dana 35? Is that something i should look at replacing before doing any serious wheeling? It does seem weird that when it was originality built they put lockers in it, re-geared it for 4.88, changed out the rear suspension for coil overs and left the dana 35, Seems like that would of been the time to upgrade. Is it possible there are internal upgrades to make it stronger.

Eli

D35? Very good axle....and by "Very good axle" I mean it sucks! Although that's not new information.

From the front it kind of reminds of a lada niva with the orange lights above the headlights, and i think that the green paint looks good.

Well it came wrapped in $40 in scrap metal. Not a good first jeep send it down the road for what you payed or as close as you can get and pick up less of a headache

I was just looking at burnsvilleoffroad.com, looking at their other work I doubt they actually built this rig.

Are you saying strip everything off but the suspension. Or strip the suspension off?
So the front "long arms" aren't done right? How about the rear link suspension is that junk too?

I'm new to 4x4 stuff so I bought i on the premise that the suspension was done and the motor was soild, the ruff interior and body i could live with or fix.

If it wasn't built by Burnsvilloffroad I'm going to feel ripped off.

In the end I didn't pay much and it's pretty rust free so that's worth something.

Here are some pictures of the rear suspension, complete with fresh snow packed in. http://goo.gl/X6rxz The sway bars are there just disconnected. Is the rear suspension junk too? Is the stock leaf springs better?

If the the rear suspension is junk too, and the front suspension is junk, the rear axle is junk, then this is not what i bargained for, maybe i should start looking for a new jeep.
:doh:

Yes you should redo the suspension, what's in the front is junk and based on the rest of the rig I would say the rear won't be built any better.

I wonder if we have any members local to you who can go over it with you in person to see what you have or don't have.

Back