• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My First Jeep Built Tell me how I did!

BlueGerbil said:
I like the rear, even if I´d make the rear window bigger. But the front bumper is one of the ugliest things I´ve ever seen on an XJ. Sorry, but you asked!

I'd never put that bumper on my XJ. . . but I use mine for crawling and all. I don't think his rig will see too many rocks, more deer probably. It fit's the theme of the Jeep though.

In the Back to Suport the Roof i have 3 x 1 tubing and its all Gussted and when i get the Roof Rack built it will be better becuse it will Go From the "bed" all the Way to the Front and There will be 6 good Size Plates on the Roof, I was going to run Tubes threw the Roof along the A-pilars but i dont whant to.

Originally Posted by lancey3
Reinforce the unibody?

No the Unibody was Not reinforced i didnt see a reason to really.

Originally Posted by BlueGerbil
I like the rear, even if I´d make the rear window bigger. But the front bumper is one of the ugliest things I´ve ever seen on an XJ. Sorry, but you asked

Ya i kno i Cant Make the Rear Window Bigger becuse of the Bracing in the back. And its my first bumper and i thought it whent good with the jeep.

All the Tubing is 1.25" Roll Bar Tubing. I also have a 175 Amp Power Plug in on the Front and Back. For my Winch that Slides in the Reciver.

BlueGerbil said:
But the front bumper is one of the ugliest things I´ve ever seen on an XJ. Sorry, but you asked!

For what he is using it for, beating around in the woods, it is gonna do the job. I wouldn't use it for rocks or mud but this is a all purpose rig. The most important thing is that it is tied into the frame securely. I think you did a dang good job for your first build, you have talent, keep up the good work!

lowrange2 said:
The wrecker guy pulled him out? Holy hell! He would have paid for the whole damn thing! If the wrecker guy would have suggested that I did that then I would have suggested that he just left and I would have someone else that was competent enough to come join me.

You think the wrecker guy is going to go into the lake and hook to the axle? Ever seen a rig pulled through the ice?..theres an old thread here somewhere... the rig was totaled.

I would have done the same thing considering the Jeep fell through ice and was submerged?...and most likely a total anyway.

I think you did a fine job. But, I'll second the black wheels though. I put a set on my 90 Limited to replace the ugly gold/polished stockers and it changed the whole look, way more beefy.

jtkratzer said:
Looks good, it's a hunting vehicle, it doesn't have to be a head turner.

Oh, and I'd pay more attention in English/Grammer class.
darjevon said:
not to be a douche, but it's grammar.
Ha ha! See what happens when you try and start teaching online.

Wow, great work man. Be proud of yourself for that one. That is talent for any age. I think alot of people here sometimes forget how many adults can't even change their own oil.

paint and body = :worship:
wheels=:scared:
back window=:confused:
front bumper:wow:
interior storage=:cheers:
no lift no mud tires=:huh:
overall =:D
this is my opinion only, others may vary. btw I did read the entire thread so I understand the small back window,just dont like it. but overall I think it HUGE first step:cool:

98XJeep said:
paint and body = :worship:
wheels=:scared:
back window=:confused:
front bumper:wow:
interior storage=:cheers:
no lift no mud tires=:huh:
overall =:D
this is my opinion only, others may vary. btw I did read the entire thread so I understand the small back window,just dont like it. but overall I think it HUGE first step:cool:

Hey Thanks alot man!!! ya I kno I need some Diffrent tires and Rims I kno I kno, But thats what i had to work with so I used them and didnt have the money to get new tires and Rims and it is Lifted 3"

Sorry I didnt read through the whole discussion (couldnt understand all the grammar), but you did all the work yourself, nicely done. You gonna be able to fit a whole deer in that cargo area? I also would suggest the black wheels and MT's if its strictly a hunting vehicle.

If he puts a tire rack on the back it'll block the window. I was thinkiing about if he put the tire above the rear section (then it would be more aerodynamic than if the tire were on the roof), but then the rear window would be covered once again. So yeah, roof is where it looks like it has to go.

please redo the front bumper it is ugly as sin lol. Really just made it more boxy and ditch those crazy bends on the brush guard, maybe taper the corners up a lil bit on the edges.

Other than that i really like it. Awsome. For $500 amazing.

Last edited:
I dont get it. Where to you put the deer? I wonder if you could strap a tent on top of the rear cargo deck? Is it sturdy enough?

Love the over all look!

Ill give you $1000 for it.

Back