• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MOTION: TO REMOVE GSEQUOIA AS SOCAL PRESIDENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cracker

NAXJA Forum User
I motion the SoCal BOD to remove Geoff 'GSequoia' Armstrong as president of the SoCal chapter for the following reasons:

· ZERO Chapter representation at the National Level - There is no one making statements or input in the best interest of the SoCal chapter members as there is zero activities from this individual on the national BOD forum. Just recently, individually went a period of over 80 days before responding to existing issues

· Almost ZERO activity in the SoCal chapter forums INCLUDING the local BOD forum. Geoff as not posted in any of the SoCal forum (public or private) since the 15th of July, 2018.

· Inability to take advantage of tools provided to the chapters to manage/expand the membership (i.e. Membership and Chapter Enhancement Program)

Regardless of the reason, whether it is health, work, or personal, Geoff has not been able to take a step back and realize he is not holding up his end of the volunteer commitment to Naxja. Additionally, he hasn’t taken the step to resign so that someone else could potentially replace him.

Naxja is dying…..the last thing the club needs is the largest chapter of Naxja to have no direction or leadership. Currently the leadership is unable to even settle on a location/date for the annual ‘event’. The SoCal chapter needs much help….there is minimal effort to do anything different or unique. Whether it be adopt-a-trail, meet and greets, or trail runs, the chapter needs blood flow. The current leadership isn’t helping.

This is not a personal dig at Geoff or any of the other SoCal leadership….everyone involved are good people and should not take this personally. Life gets in the way sometimes and we are not always able to make our obligations…..it happens.

To add to this, if anyone has the time or energy to step up and be more involved, please post up. Fresh ideas and action will help keep the club alive.

I can't do many runs with folks because of my limited vehicle, but I can do what I can from my end. I do some back end club stuff and help where I can...shit probably 40% of my posts are back end stuff where most do not see them.

Wutcha drinking on this afternoon there Ron? Opps... Avery?

Seems to me no one else would take the job. How bout you?

This isn’t really needed as I intend to step down, we need to spool up normal elections. I will completely agree with you that my performance has been inadequate, this has been a very unusual last fifteen months or so with a much higher workload than normal taking away time from everything else. While it has just let up a bit it is not yet over, I wouldn’t call it a “new normal,” just an inconvienant grouping of major projects happening to fall together.

To add to this, if anyone has the time or energy to step up and be more involved, please post up. Fresh ideas and action will help keep the club alive.

I can't do many runs with folks because of my limited vehicle, but I can do what I can from my end. I do some back end club stuff and help where I can...shit probably 40% of my posts are back end stuff where most do not see them.

No excuses you can jump in with me or with mark and attend a few runs.

What is involved with being a NAXJA Chapter President?

In accordance with the bylaws of the socal chapter, the VP will assume the position of the president for the remainder of the president's term.

So SoCal will need to elect a new VP.

I am here to help if you would like, otherwise I am more than happy allowing the chapter leadership to set up an election cycle to elect a new VP.

mac 'per the bylaws' gyvr

What is involved with being a NAXJA Chapter President?

this is UNOFFICIAL of course but it should be close:

Responsibilities of the chapter president will take on duties as needed throughout the course of their term.

The president is the principle leader of and has overall responsibility for the SoCal Chapter's administration.

The president shall lead and participate in monthly national BOD as well as chapter BOD meetings and participate in chapter bod votes. National BOD meetings run from the 1st of the month to the 14th of the month.

The president shall make sure that the SoCal chapter are operating within the requirements of the bylaws.

The president shall attempt to make the event that is within the chapter in which they reside at their own expense.

The person must be able to look at issues from a non-biased position (as much as possible) and look out for the best outcome for the SoCal Chapter.

The president should have a good working knowledge of the bylaws and how they are applied.

They must have a "team" attitude. The SoCal BOD is the team that sets the standard for the chapter. The president must be able to work with and be able to compromise with other players on that team.

The president must be willing to assign tasks and to look for opportunities to improve the chapter and be willing to grab those opportunities as they present themselves.

The president must be able to balance life and the club. Understanding that life is more important, there still has to be a dedication to the club.

this is UNOFFICIAL of course but it should be close:

Responsibilities of the chapter president will take on duties as needed throughout the course of their term.

The president is the principle leader of and has overall responsibility for the SoCal Chapter's administration.

The president shall lead and participate in monthly national BOD as well as chapter BOD meetings and participate in chapter bod votes. National BOD meetings run from the 1st of the month to the 14th of the month.

The president shall make sure that the SoCal chapter are operating within the requirements of the bylaws.

The president shall attempt to make the event that is within the chapter in which they reside at their own expense.

The person must be able to look at issues from a non-biased position (as much as possible) and look out for the best outcome for the SoCal Chapter.

The president should have a good working knowledge of the bylaws and how they are applied.

They must have a "team" attitude. The SoCal BOD is the team that sets the standard for the chapter. The president must be able to work with and be able to compromise with other players on that team.

The president must be willing to assign tasks and to look for opportunities to improve the chapter and be willing to grab those opportunities as they present themselves.

The president must be able to balance life and the club. Understanding that life is more important, there still has to be a dedication to the club.

Maybe this will enlighten and help people to step up for the next election

This isn’t really needed as I intend to step down.

Geoff, you have my profound and sincere thanks for the untold hours you've committed to the club and the chapter over many years of service. I'm saddened that its come to this, but I understand the tough spot you're in work-wise and family-wise. When do you intend to announce your resignation?

In accordance with the bylaws of the socal chapter, the VP will assume the position of the president for the remainder of the president's term.

So SoCal will need to elect a new VP.

So far, Geoff has only announced his intention to resign, but he has not tendered his resignation. So any election of a new VP would be premature.

If and when Geoff resigns and Tim assumes role of President, I would be willing to step into the vacated VP position to help the chapter if nobody else wants to do it and if I am duly elected in a special election to fill the remainder of Tim's current term. But I give fair warning in advance that my law practice is growing and keeping me increasingly busy, and that my work will come first. In other words, I would do the best I can if entrusted with the position, but I'd be able to devote limited time to it.

Last edited:
Al, have any time to help with donations?

Yes, I can help. But I need the event details — time and place — before I can start soliciting. So the sooner that’s decided the better.

I motion the SoCal BOD to remove Geoff 'GSequoia' Armstrong as president of the SoCal chapter

With a heavy heart, in light of Geoff’s failure to follow through on his stated intention to resign or otherwise to respond, I second the motion.

With a heavy heart, in light of Geoff’s failure to follow through on his stated intention to resign or otherwise to respond, I second the motion.

Its not something I want to do; let me check the bylaws and we'll go from there.

Its not something I want to do; let me check the bylaws and we'll go from there.

Bylaws: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1140093

Section 10, Recall:
a. The Board of Directors may recall a Director with unanimous vote of
remaining Directors. The accused Officer or Director shall abstain from the
vote as applicable.
b. General Members may proceed with a recall Motion only via sponsorship
of a Director on the Board in the form of a Second of the Motion. General
Members must first process any complaint through the Grievance
Committee or the Motion shall automatically be dismissed without vote. A
general Membership recall Motion requires two-thirds (2/3) vote to pass.
Quorum is 100% for recall Motions. Failure to establish 100% Quorum at
the time of the vote shall result in dismissal of the Motion without vote.

The motion to recall the chapter president, Geoff Armstrong has hereby been deemed out of order in accordance to chapter bylaws; section 10, sub section b.

A written grievance may be submitted via PM to me and I will submit it to the committee.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back