• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar 360 In XJ

I'm thinking a Caddy 4.9l would be pretty cool. A friend was going to give me a Caddy 4.5l to put in in my MJ, but the problem was that it's externally balanced and the flywheel would have to have been custom. He put a 4.9l, which is internally balanced , into a fiero.

Ive been thinking that the next xj i get will have to get a big block swapped in. One way would be a 401/727/quadratrack +axles from a waggy. hmmm... thats a good idea.

There is no such thing as a AMC big block. A 401 and a 304 use the "same" block.

401 would be cool though.

for the amount of money youre thinkin of spendin on this, y-not buy a k5. and put your xj bod on it.(yuk) or buy a zj. or, a 4.0xj

Yea if only the XJ was a cab on frame instead of a unibody. Guess Il just buy a cj and put on it that :(

Another issue you may have to deal with is that the 85 has a different radiator support and it is moved back quite a bit. When I put my stroker in my 85, I did a fair amount of sheetmetal swapping, including the hood.

I've seen a 383 cramed into a YJ, so I wouldn't see why not. They guy dealt with Novak Adapters so that he could get everything to match-up. He also had wiring hell, but he figured it out eventually. I have talked to a shop also about doing the 360 swap into an XJ and I was told that it would fit but you would need the motor mounts out of a Dodge with a 360 in it to make it work.

sorry for diggin up an old thread as my first post but... i was just looking into the SB swap, not that i can afford it, but if you get a 318/360 with the dodge bolt pattern you could use a dodge NP435, strong tranny and pretty good gearing: 6.68:1 1st gear

Yea I guess it would be possible. What Tranny would you use?

Wow...gotta chime in a bit on this thread to clear up a few facts.

1998 was the ONLY year for the grand cherokee with a 5.9

That 5.9 is maited to a special 1 year ONLY tranny and if you damage the tranny, your screwed at finding another one.

You can get a 5.9 out of a RAM truck, Durango and put it in there a lot easier...If you consider putting a tank into a mouse hole.

I've seen a 305 small block chevy put in a XJ before. Pusher fan installed, radiator was so close to the pulleys it was scary. To much power for the stock axles. Like mentioned in the past pages...Working on anything is a huge PITA.

Anything can be done but do the research before you go buy it. The 1 year only 98 grand cherokee 5.9 limited is not a good option for donor parts unless you only want the motor. Tranny is limited, 249 t-case sucks, D44a axle will break if you look at it wrong. D30 front...Why bother swapping. And welcome to the world of needing computers that require premium fuel.

Do a stroker for a lot cheaper and be happy with the stock look...Otherwise, think about a carbed motor...smaller the V8 the better. Just my opinion on this last part.

getcha a 360 out of a dodge diplomat(85-91 has the heads with the big valves)and tranny for 600 bucks,t case out of a dodge ram 4x4,and start welding!nah,J/K,that would be F$#@%# hard!why don't you just LOOK for a jeep with a bigger engine?unless you are drag racing,a 4.0 should be plenty of power!

Bouncy said:
That 5.9 is maited to a special 1 year ONLY tranny and if you damage the tranny, your screwed at finding another one.

SOBI Many Mopar 5.9ltr's (and even some 5.2ltr's) that where mated to an automatic from that eara had the 46RE from the Dakota R/t to a 5.9ltr Ram van. IIRC 96 was the first year used, and used up to at least 01.

scoobyxj said:
SOBI Many Mopar 5.9ltr's (and even some 5.2ltr's) that where mated to an automatic from that eara had the 46RE from the Dakota R/t to a 5.9ltr Ram van. IIRC 96 was the first year used, and used up to at least 01.

The 46RE tranny in the 1998 grand cherokee 5.9 limited ONLY has the starter on the opposite side as all other 46re trannys. That makes this the only year/model for that tranny.

I do agree that there are many trannys in many vehicles that are 46re model. I was trying to point out that this guy needs to avoid the 46RE from the 98 5.9 ZJ cause it is a one year only model.

Bouncy said:
The 46RE tranny in the 1998 grand cherokee 5.9 limited ONLY has the starter on the opposite side as all other 46re trannys. That makes this the only year/model for that tranny.

I do agree that there are many trannys in many vehicles that are 46re model. I was trying to point out that this guy needs to avoid the 46RE from the 98 5.9 ZJ cause it is a one year only model.
Odd sence most left hand drive vehicles with Longitudinal mounted moters have the starter on the right side, and the only thing that the starter would affect the with tranny anyway is with the belhousing.

scoobyxj said:
Odd sence most left hand drive vehicles with Longitudinal mounted moters have the starter on the right side, and the only thing that the starter would affect the with tranny anyway is with the belhousing.

Given all the 5.2 ZJ produced, you would think it would be the same tranny. But the 5.9 used a 46re with the start on the opposite side.

I had heard rumor it was because of the tranny hump/design but that wouldn't make sense give the 5.2s produced.

That is the most bogus thing I have heard! It is physically impossable for the starter to be on the left side of the Jeep that is left hand drive. The 46RE used in the 5.9ZJ is exactly the same as any other 46RE found in any other Dodge. An acquaintance of mine just picked one up from a 00 Ram for $600 at a junk yard.

Back