• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modifying for a BIGGER oil filter...

my buddy has been a jeep freak for years and told me to use a motorcraft FL1A filter. he has been running this for years and works great. it also holds about half a quart more oil. i just changed my oil and went synthetic and it fits no problem on my 97 XJ and on his 94 YJ. hope this helps

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=391727#post391727

honestly,

didn't read every reply, but... a mobil 301 bigger will fit, at least on my '98, no mods.

if you live on LI, NY, thru 3/2, they're 2/4/1 at AutoKarma. rain check is the norm...

Mike #300

This is almost certainly a threadjack, but please bear with me. Please read the thread above I started, making note of the forum I chose and then toss me a red dot comment thing if you feel I deserve it.

I guess this is an informal poll (uh-oh, another protocol violated?!?) but I'd like a larger sample of posters to comment just in case I did violate a forum/content rule.

BTW, I read this entire thread, good info, and I'm not brown nosing.

I appreciate your time, thanks again.

Mike #300

Depending on the model year I would be careful switching to the larger can. Many here have stated that you can fit a larger K&N, or whatever, on 1991 HOs---that is not entirely correct.

I have a 1991 HO and you will NOT be able to fit a larger K&N using the stock mount ... IF that oil filter currently sits verticle on the side of the block. On the other hand, others have reported they have a horizontal mounted filter on the rear of the block on their 1991 HO ... so I'm sure, one, or the other, is the exception ... not the rule.

I'm glad I called a K&N engineer to verify thread size, pitch, anti-drainback and other specs before proceeding .... I encourage you to do the same. K&N claims they don't even make a larger filter that will fit the threads on the OEM oil filter housing for the 1991 HO.

Good luck messing with a vital component...

Again for the 93 model year the mounting plate was changed. This means that anything 93 or later can use a mobil 301 or equiv. anything before will require modification which there is a link on how to do this earlier in the thread.

bchulett said:
Depending on the model year I would be careful switching to the larger can. Many here have stated that you can fit a larger K&N, or whatever, on 1991 HOs---that is not entirely correct.

I have a 1991 HO and you will NOT be able to fit a larger K&N using the stock mount ... IF that oil filter currently sits verticle on the side of the block. On the other hand, others have reported they have a horizontal mounted filter on the rear of the block on their 1991 HO ... so I'm sure, one, or the other, is the exception ... not the rule.

I'm glad I called a K&N engineer to verify thread size, pitch, anti-drainback and other specs before proceeding .... I encourage you to do the same. K&N claims they don't even make a larger filter that will fit the threads on the OEM oil filter housing for the 1991 HO.

Good luck messing with a vital component...

I have also heard about the anti drain back valve not being on the Ford ones so I dont run them. They are half the price here and nearly twice as big but dont want those few seconds of delay in the oil pressure every morning seeing that 75% of engine wear occurs at cold start up :gag:

All I'm going to say is check the application on Fram's Web site and K&N's Web site and I believe you will find that your '93 is spec'd to use the same oil filter as my 1991. In fact, XJ's use the same oil filter from 1991 to 2001 model year... the 1990 model year and older has a different filter spec'd, which could explain why some 1991's had two different filter housings---with a mid-year engineering change.

Again, before you or anyone else here recommends screwing around with something that could potentially cause serious and long-term damage to your engine, I suggest you contact the manufacturer for tangible specs ... your "eyeball" can't verify thread size, pitch, proper anti-drainback and other important specs.

That is exactly why I called a K&N applications engineer to verify ... in lieu of using a cross reference from these threads.

History and experience tells us people will follow each other over a cliff. The benefits of incremental filtration and adding 1/2 quart of oil to a 6 quart oil pan is not worth the risk of dry starts, reduced oil pressure or possibly too high oil pressure. Just use a good reputable filter and change it and the oil every 3K miles ... if you do that you can get 250K miles out of a 4.0L.

IMO there's bigger fish to fry to improve your XJ... like the brakes for example.

See for yourself...
FRAM
K&N

jeep1947 said:
Again for the 93 model year the mounting plate was changed. This means that anything 93 or later can use a mobil 301 or equiv. anything before will require modification which there is a link on how to do this earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
bchulett said:
The benefits of incremental filtration and adding 1/2 quart of oil to a 6 quart oil pan is not worth the risk of dry starts, reduced oil pressure or possibly too high oil pressure.

Please explain how this makes sense.

I currently run a Purolator L30001 and Mobile1 5-30. In looking up the specs there are three choices for my year engine. I imagine these will also cover any horizontal filter type mount from 1993-2001 but please check for yourself. The stock filter L14670 is 3.79" tall, L30001 is 5.14" tall and L40017 is 6.9" tall. All have anti drain back valves and all have same or similar relief presures. I am disapointed in that relief presure range, it obviously must not need to be too accurate. If you review the specs below you will notice that the stock filter and the huge filter are identical except for the height. I have run the L30001 (PH8A style) for many years and miles on Jeeps and even Toyotas with no complaints. My 1990 XJ required the newer 3/4-16 thread adapter, but that assembly needed to be re-sealed anyway ($15). My 2000 XJ will fit the larger L40017 (NAPA Gold 1773) but it can be harder to find.

Stock:
http://ecat.arvinmeritor.com/smartlink/FilterSpec.aspx?partnum=L14670

1 quart size:
http://ecat.arvinmeritor.com/smartlink/FilterSpec.aspx?partnum=L30001

1.5 quart big boy:
http://ecat.arvinmeritor.com/smartlink/FilterSpec.aspx?partnum=L40017

Hope this clears this up, Angus

ECKSJAY said:
Please explain how this makes sense.
bchulett said:
The benefits of incremental filtration and adding 1/2 quart of oil to a 6 quart oil pan is not worth the risk of dry starts, reduced oil pressure or possibly too high oil pressure. Just use a good reputable filter and change it and the oil every 3K miles ... if you do that you can get 250K miles out of a 4.0L.

Please don't take that quote out of context ...

My point is these motors generally don't see the kind of rpms and heat that require deep sump 7-8 quart oil pans and robust filtration ... unless its being used for some sort of race application and has a high flow oil pump.

If you change the oil/filter every 3K miles how could you actually compare or measure a favorable or unfavorable impact of installing a larger filter with an additional 1/2 quart ? If someone here tested and has data supporting the theory the motor will last an additional 50K miles, please enlighten me...

How many here employs an oil temp or trans temp guage on the cluster ?

So why take the risk of screwing a can on that may not really fit ?

Case in point:

The Fram PH16, K&N HP2004, Mobil-1 M1204 are all crossed referenced as an OEM 4.0L replacement.

The Fram HP1, K&N HP3001, Mobil-1 M1301 are all crossed referenced.

I was told in a thread here many moons ago I can easily mount the K&N HP3001 larger can on my 1991 OEM mount. So I called K&N to verify the specs as they compare to K&N HP2004 OEM replacement. Guess what ? All specs compare EXCEPT the thread size and pitch ....

So will it fit ? I don't know... maybe not exactly ... according to K&N the HP2004 and HP3001 has different threads. What I do know is I'm not going to take that chance if an engineer at K&N said it won't fit my application.

What's funny about this is the K&N HP3001 is crossed referenced to a Fram HP1 which is the same filter I use on my Race Hemi motor that has 650 HP and sees over 6,500 rpm. If you look at the both these cans you will find a significant difference in the port size on the Fram HP1 that allows better flow for high-flow pumps and can handle a motor that runs at 60-80 psi.

So have at it ...

Last edited:
This is the only guy that has made any sense and real contributions to this thread.

Scrappy said:
personally, i would rather run a remote oil filter. then you can getany size you want. even throw in a oil cooler if you want.

You can get that stuff out of summit or jegs.

Matt

bchulett said:
All I'm going to say is check the application on Fram's Web site and K&N's Web site and I believe you will find that your '93 is spec'd to use the same oil filter as my 1991.
your "eyeball" can't verify thread size, pitch, proper anti-drainback and other important specs.

The benefits of incremental filtration and adding 1/2 quart of oil to a 6 quart oil pan is not worth the risk of dry starts, reduced oil pressure or possibly too high oil pressure.

OK- same filter, I said the mounting plate was changed, NOT the filter. From 93 on the same mounting plate part numbers were used. My eyeball measurement was to see if there was enough physical space behind the filter now. We already established this new ford filter has the same threads and diameter. If you read original question he was asking for a bigger filter because of running sythetic oil. I would assume this means he wants to run longer that 3,000 on the oil because of this. He should be fine with a bigger filter and running a quality synthetic oil which most are rated 6-9k. Also I did not know the ford did not have a drainback valve, but again he is going to run synthetic oil and all quality synthetic oil has additives that make startup much easier on the motor and should eliminate most if not all start up wear.

Thanks Phil, and just to clarify, I'm not opposed to using a larger filter on an OEM mount... I attempted to do this myself ... it sounds like the smart thing to do. What I am opposed to is erroneous information that can lead someone down a path that can cause damage to their motor ...

I just want to emphasize the need to verify information before making decisions ... and not just rely on internet babble. :lecture:

ECKSJAY said:
Don't be so down on yourself. ;) You've given some valid points to consider as well.

On kind of a side note...I was at WalMart today and noticed that Mobil-1 has a new oil out...Some kind of extended milage oil. So you can go safely 15,000 miles between oil changes. What I would like to know is...do they want you to run a good filter too? Maybe theres? If you don't have a good filter on then no matter how the oil holds up it still won't be filtered properly.

BTW I run Mobil1 oil and filters in all my stuff. XJ has 210,000 miles and goes 7500 miles between changes and doesn't leak or burn a drop.

I run the 301 (8A) filter, thats the 5.0 one. This FIL1773 seems interesting but it dosn't come up when searching the napa website, when's the last time someone has bought one of these? and does anyone know what fullsize fords it is for? or other brands' part #s?

Slip Kid said:
I run the 301 (8A) filter, thats the 5.0 one. This FIL1773 seems interesting but it dosn't come up when searching the napa website, when's the last time someone has bought one of these? and does anyone know what fullsize fords it is for? or other brands' part #s?

Bought two of them Saturday. Just verified that on the site and concur that's weird. I wonder if they're discontinued...at least online anyway.

I was talking with a a coworker and he was telling me that Mobil-1 filters use a centrifuge type action in their oil filters and were actually better than K&N.

Anyone know if this is a true statement?

Back