• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Many problems from 90 XJ...

PC87.jpg

I've got one here that says 216 (actually (2),216) on the 2K scale and 0,21 on the 20K scale (actually (20),21). The numbers in the ( ) aren't actually there, just my meter. There are different kinds of meters, that display different. You should be able to get something on the 1K or 2 K scale. If it reads over 200 your not gonna get anything on the 200 scale with an electronic meter. One reason it's handy to have an old fashioned analogue (needle) type around also. This CPS tests good, but I can guarantee you it doesn't work in the Jeep, go figure. Weak batteries in an electronic meter, don't often cause problems, it will tell you low battery, but in the analogue type, you get bad readings.

Last edited:
tested it w digital n analog n both read nowhere near whats I was told of 200 +- 75... He said its got a short or something.. he works on circuit boards all day n messes with meters so he tested it n came out bad too... do i wanna assume to repair this and buy a new one?!

Also... any other things I wanna look at too?! my dad said a fuse wire thing... suppose to fry its self before the wiring harness fries... where am lookin for that at?!

what else?

On the radiator, pull it and take it to a shop. Shouldn't cost more than $20 to have the neck soldered, correctly.

If the CPS doesn't fix it, the starter relay or ECU are the most likely. If it gets down to the ECU and nobody local has one you can borrow for a few minutes, I have one you can borrow for the postage.

Personally, I would hit the local pull-n-save and grab a cps and relay, and if they are cheap enough an ECU. You can never have too many sensors in a bag under the back seat.

On the CPS, you might want to think about getting the high altitude version. It advances the spark a few degrees for better performance.

been there, done that, not that deep though.

Drop the tank, and clean it out. I ended up with mud in my tank from a water fording. the mud would just shift around and eventually clog my filter, I thought my pump was going out, because it wolud run right for a while after I filled up, and wouldn't act up till it got a half a tank down.

turns out I had a quarter pound of mud or so rolling around the bottom of my tank.

Okay, Autozone carries the CPS but not in stock so I'ma check NAPA today after the airshow. IF this is not the problem, whats next? Leaves ECU right?! hmmmm...

MOOSE16285 said:
Okay, Autozone carries the CPS but not in stock so I'ma check NAPA today after the airshow. IF this is not the problem, whats next? Leaves ECU right?! hmmmm...
Does your fuel pump run for 3 seconds when you turn your key on? If so your ECU is running. You can also take a portable AM radio tuned to 1100 AM place it near your ECM and turn the key on, you will hear a tone/hum if its running.

wow, i did the AM radio thing, how do i hear my fuel pump? What sound would I be listening for? I got a staic hum setting the am radio atop the ecu... so i can be feeling good about it still working?!

iight, i'ma do the radio trick one more time... i didnt mean static, an odd hum... i'll try again, i need a 2nd person for the fuel pump trick... i'ma be at the airshow here today n gonna stop at NAPA n pick up a new CPS and slap it on... i did get a sound from the radio though. lemme try again.

Okay, definitly a srong humming thing but its not a tone, not constant... its a hum that varies a lil... the starter wouldnt put out any frequecy would it, cause the hum came at the same times the starter turned... i need a 2nd person for the fuel pump ut i poked the fuel line pressure release stem n fuel came out... so i assume for now its pumping... but will test the pump later after the airshow... if its not the ECU, i'm getting a CPS, what else am I looking for now?! O2? MAT?

MOOSE16285 said:
Okay, definitly a srong humming thing but its not a tone, not constant... its a hum that varies a lil... the starter wouldnt put out any frequecy would it, cause the hum came at the same times the starter turned... i need a 2nd person for the fuel pump ut i poked the fuel line pressure release stem n fuel came out... so i assume for now its pumping... but will test the pump later after the airshow... if its not the ECU, i'm getting a CPS, what else am I looking for now?! O2? MAT?
I can hear my pump by reaching in side and turning the key on, it runs for three seconds and is pretty loud. The ECU is a computer sound, you don't need to turn the key to start, just to "ON"

Back