• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

M/T baja claws or BFG km2's or....????

Outlander560

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if this is in the right thread. But as you guys have probably seen from a few threads going around I'm building up my rig finally.

I own a 2001 jeep cherokee aw4 np231 setup with:
-c8.25 in the rear with a detroit locker and 4.56s
-front is a d30 with 4.56s and 4340 shafts.
-Its got a 4 1/2 inch lift and all that jazz but now to my question:

I'm looking for some good meaty shoes to put on my jeep. It is my DD but it will be taken offroad from time to time. I know it's a mud tire so I dont care about noise. The size I plan on running is 33x12.5x15 so what do you guys think i should get?

A.) M/t baja claws (radial)
B.)BFG KM2
C.) Your choice

ALSO if any of you have any opinions as to why I should not get either tire please let me know

I have 35x12.50 Baja Claws on mine, and I wouldn't recommend them as a daily driving tire. It's not so much the road noise at cruising speed, I could honestly care less about that. It's the vibration that's felt through the entire cab from 0-10 mph. At first I thought the vibration was in my driveline somewhere. But it turns out it's the aggressive tire tread. Once you get stuck in crawling traffic, it gets pretty old. They can be a little squirrelly in heavy rain/water conditions. Otherwise, I love my Baja Claws a lot! I've always wanted a set since I first saw them, and I really like the look they give on my rig. Offroad, they're awesome. I've never ran them in a 33" size, so the vibration might be not be as noticeable. I also have Johnny Joints on the frame side of my LCA's and UCA's with my lift kit, so that could attribute to some of the vibration as well.

My buddy has the KM2's on his Chevy Blazer in a 33" size, and he loves them. Can't say enough good things about them. Not very loud on the street, perform great in the Colorado weather. They have a very very minimal vibration similar to my Baja Claw's, but you really have to listen/feel for it.

I've been contemplating picking up a set of the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've heard good reviews about them. Might consider looking into those? They're about the same price wise.

Good luck!

Scott

i ran baja claws for about....2 months. previous owner said they were loud... i figured 'so what eh?'. but if you do 70mph on the freeway for an hour, get off the freeway, and you're head will be buzzing.... like seiler said, noise AND vibrations....

to top it off, they wore really fast.

yea i figured they wore pretty fast....and thanks guys still kinda undedecided i looked at the duratracs and heard the side walls pop on them pretty easily..I like the km2's tread but the side wall on them does not look to agressive in my eyes

you want it to look "aggressive"?

you said it will be a DD and go off road on occasion. How serious of off roading. Id say get an aggressive all terrains and call it a day.

want something that just looks meaty and thats it? get some nitto mud grapplers

Well I'm basing it off of the amount I go offroad right now, which is very minimal do to living in new york state. BUT when the tires are put on and it's all together I plan on going offroading A LOT and I mean a lot. Even though I'm going to off-road a lot it is my only vehicle so I have to make long trips up to school in the fall and I need tires I can trust both on road for long trips and off road for serious mud bogging and crawling.

To answer your second question I want something to look meaty (who doesnt) but I want offroad proformance (more important) I guess I should have been more specific about that sorry I was writing this thread on my lunch break and ran out of time.

you want it to look "aggressive"?

you said it will be a DD and go off road on occasion. How serious of off roading. Id say get an aggressive all terrains and call it a day.

want something that just looks meaty and thats it? get some nitto mud grapplers

Ultimately you are asking to completely polar ideas from teh same tire. Ya here comes the bashing about "my tire is great on road and off road blah blah blah"
the basics of it is this. A tire that is gonna be phenominal off road isnt gonna be the best ON road. this applies visa versa.
yes you can do things to a "mud" tire to make it better on road (aka sipe) but then you are going to limit the expected life from the tire.

I dont wheel out there so I cant tell you what will work the best for ya but I can/will say this.

If safety and DD duties are of extreme concern, then get all terrains, you can add other things to make up for them (lockers, tire pressure, line, etc) where as going in reverse of that idea (makin muds better for the street) you are just tossing money away.

or figure out which is of the upmost importance and what you can sacrifice and make a decision based off that.

Cool looking tires are like cool looking stickers, in the end they arent worth a shit. put something on the jeep that will WORK - that will make them cool

My KM2's are wearing really well and are smooooooooooth on the highway. Even after having been aired down. I have only found one situation where they failed me and that was before the locker. I was on a hill trying to pull my comanche out when the PO got it buried in the yard.

[/QUOTE]If safety and DD duties are of extreme concern, then get all terrains, you can add other things to make up for them (lockers, tire pressure, line, etc) where as going in reverse of that idea (makin muds better for the street) you are just tossing money away.

or figure out which is of the upmost importance and what you can sacrifice and make a decision based off that.

Cool looking tires are like cool looking stickers, in the end they arent worth a shit. put something on the jeep that will WORK - that will make them cool[/QUOTE]

I guess I should have been more careful with my choice of words when I said "the way the tires look"

But thats here nor their. Back on topic being safe on road would be kind of an important thing in my head. I think I'm leaning more towards the km2's because of there on road and off road capabilities. From what everyone has been saying. I have owned the bfg all-terrains before and it is a fantastic tire hands down but it's not something I would like to put on my jeep I appreciate the input however.

since youre in NY i say KM2s.

idk why this is in the street section.

I was not exactly sure where this topic would fit, here or in the modified section so i tossed a coin and chose this section. If it needs to be moved that's fine with me I apologize for the mix up

So you know what you want. want people to tell you that you are right. and when they dont, you dont want the input, and will bitch about how they wore out too fast and are crappy on the road :rolleyes:

haha no i did not say I know what I want...yet..I'm just curious of what people might have to say about owning these 2 types of tires...I have to agree with you and the others I'm not going to get the baja claws...But the km2's that's a different story...hell I might just go with some nice SUPER SWAMPERS those are quiet ......right:gee:

Last edited:
if what everyone saying who owned the km2s is wrong and I do decide to go with that tire I guess it wearing out and being shitty on the road is just the path i gotta take ;)

Id put Toyo MTs on your rig. They are the QUIETEST capable MT tire and very durable. They also are quiter then most A/Ts and plain the best all around tire period

I would go with KM2 or Goodyear MT/Rs for a rig that is daily driven. I ran the MT Baja Claws before my current BFG A/Ts. The Baja Claws were pretty rough on road, but were completely awesome offroad (especially if you run them backwards). The Baja Claws did not wear well and had tons of vibration on road. But offroad they were great. If I had separate tires for on/off road, I would use the Baja Claws as my second set.

thanks for the headsup....yea looks like im going to get a set of goodyear mtr's....quick question tho i think i read somewhere the listed size 33x12.5x15 is not true to the actual demensions of the tire...can anyone comfirm this?

Back