• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LP Dana 44 Front

WNT1

NAXJA Forum User
HELP? I was wondering what you all thought of a Low Pinion Dana 44 w/ 4.10's axle swap for the front of my 96 XJ.

I have already put the Dana 60 w/4.10's from the same 76 Ford Highboy Donor Truck in the rear. I was wondering if I should go ahaed and buy the front D44 for 150-200 bucks and swap it in also??? Or buck up and wait for a D60 Front? I am currently running 36X12.50X15 TSL SX's and don't plan on going much larger in the future!

Just looking for opinions/suggestions from Guys who are running similar setups???

Thanks, Rob

WNT1 said:
HELP? I was wondering what you all thought of a Low Pinion Dana 44 w/ 4.10's axle swap for the front of my 96 XJ.

I have already put the Dana 60 w/4.10's from the same 76 Ford Highboy Donor Truck in the rear. I was wondering if I should go ahaed and buy the front D44 for 150-200 bucks and swap it in also??? Or buck up and wait for a D60 Front? I am currently running 36X12.50X15 TSL SX's and don't plan on going much larger in the future!

Just looking for opinions/suggestions from Guys who are running similar setups???

Thanks, Rob

just like i already asked you in the other thread -

is it closed knuckle?

if so - walk away!

XJ_ranger said:
look - an LP 44 is a strength improvement - but the closed knuckles, drum brakes that this axle has would not be worth your time - no do not buy this front end...

Thanks for all the info guys. I wanted to check with all of you first before I invested in a boat anchor of an axle!

if you dont plan on going bigger than 36" tires, and your only running 4.10 gears whats wrong with a LP? like many people asked befor... is it closed knuckle? if so it aint good for nuthin. the u-joints in the closed knucle axles are tiny compared to the open knucle u-joints.

and pesonaly i would not swap a 60 in the front with 36" tires, waist of time and a waist of a good axle that could be used on someonelses bigger/better rig

No, it is not a closed knuckle and no I don't plan on running bigger tires in the "NEAR" future but I certainly don't want to rule it out either! I'm looking more long term then anything else. I don't want to have to go thru this again if and when I decide to go bigger.

WNT1 said:
No, it is not a closed knuckle and no I don't plan on running bigger tires in the "NEAR" future but I certainly don't want to rule it out either! I'm looking more long term then anything else. I don't want to have to go thru this again if and when I decide to go bigger.

Then you want a 60.

Back