• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering XJ

lowering a jeep is pointless. waste of a jeep right there

Nice entrance, not get back in the clown car and leave. I hear Jeepforum has an opening.

Ours is lowered about 4 inches and it would clear the pan but it would be close so we notched the axle as you can see in my pics earlier. A 4wd front axle is a different story, not sure about that.

It's is a LITTLE silly to lower an XJ but so what?! Is it really harming you? Go away troll.

I haven't worked on mine in months but hopefully ill have some more updates soon.

Last edited:
why do people come into this section of the forum with that kind of attitude? its F-ing Street and performance! would lifting an XJ make it perform better on tarmac. I bet that high center of gravity would help in the long sweeping bends. Oh I bet it would really help with the steering response! if you don't like it dont do it.

Seany, did you see the threads on the 24hrs of Lemons XJ? If it works on the track, it should work on the street. I think they did SUA and an AAL too.
Correct; we just plasma torched off the perches, sway bar mount and shock mount, and rewelded them onto the bottom of the tube. 2" RE add a leaf and voilà, an XJ that handles. It didn't lower it all that much, but we were far more concerned about how it drove than how it looked.

-----Matt-----

Which axle did you use? It seems the mounting point for the leaves would be about 5-6 in lower if the perches were on the bottom of the tube, and a 2" lift should net you around 3-4". Do you have a pic of the Jeep like this?

My jeep with sua under and two stock leaf packs.
4d4f549f.jpg

Which axle did you use? It seems the mounting point for the leaves would be about 5-6 in lower if the perches were on the bottom of the tube, and a 2" lift should net you around 3-4". Do you have a pic of the Jeep like this?
It's a D35, and your math is about right, though as light as the ass end is, it didn't drop it that far. Tires are Toyo Proxes 4 in 245/50R16:

253.jpg

Fronts are JK coils with one coil cut out. When we swap in the 8.8, it should bring the rear down just a hair (due to the larger diameter tube) and make it dead even with the front.

016.jpg

-----Matt-----

I like it i would love to have that as a sleeper on the street

And as a proper gearhead you have to be open minded to other people and their tastes you can't be a Nazi and tell people that their ideas are wrong because it go against the grain of others. More power to the people that think out side of the box

I like it i would love to have that as a sleeper on the street
I drove it around this weekend and it's a blast on the street. Up to about 50 mph it's damn quick.
And as a proper gearhead you have to be open minded to other people and their tastes you can't be a Nazi and tell people that their ideas are wrong because it go against the grain of others. More power to the people that think out side of the box
x2. One of the beauties of the XJ platform is the versatility of it. FWIW, I also have this:

122.jpg

-----Matt-----

You know I used to think this before I wanted a Turbo Stroker in a 2wd MJ! :D GTFO if you are gonna be a Dick dude!

How much to make the cage?
On the blue one? Couple hundred bucks for ~70' of 1.75/.120 DOM, couple cases of beer, a few buddies and a solid day of work. It's a very basic cage, and not having an interior meant it was very easy to do quickly, even for us relative novices.

The Hybrid cage on the white one was a little more involved. :)

-----Matt-----

I drove it around this weekend and it's a blast on the street. Up to about 50 mph it's damn quick.
x2. One of the beauties of the XJ platform is the versatility of it. FWIW, I also have this:

122.jpg

-----Matt-----

i've seen your truck in a magazine it's fuggin sweet :loveu:. If you don't mind me asking what front bumper is that

i've seen your truck in a magazine it's fuggin sweet :loveu:. If you don't mind me asking what front bumper is that
Thanks! She kinda gets around. ;)

The bumper is made by Moab 4x4 Outpost; super high quality and without equal in terms of strength and clearance (IMHO). Steve and Andy always build nice stuff, and they're open 24/7 the entire week of EJS to help busted Jeepers get their junk wheeling again. Top notch operation and people.

-----Matt-----

Back