• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering XJ

I've pondered flipping the spring upside down and rebuilding the pack with the pin aiming up. It would require a little removal of the lower front of the box in the shackle area and pounding the body/floor up near the front mount so that it wouldn't be hitting/riding on either during bumps. I pretty much have flat springs, so it wouldn't hit as much as someone flipping arched springs. I think you could use a shackle 1" shorter than stock, but not much less since stock is already pretty short. SUA is the ideal way to do it or shell out the $ for the multi-link rear coil setup.

Since I last posted in this thread a year ago, we've competed in two more 24 Hours of LeMons events. We finally got around to doing our 8.8 swap, but otherwise the set-up is the same as when we first guesti-fabbed it up. The results have proven to be fantasticly stable and reliable.

We're running stock springs in front with a little more than a coil cut out, stock sway bars and the old shocks that came with the truck. In the rear, we converted it to spring under by plasma cutting off the stock spring perches and flipping them upside down. This netted about a 6" drop, so we added a Rubicon Expess Add-a-leaf to bring up back up.

As I mentioned, we've since added an Explorer 8.8 (disc-brake, 3.73, LSD). While we were at it we fabbed up some different spring perches using some MJ bits. Really, it was fairly simple for even the most basicly equiped back yard fabricator. Here are some pics of it in our last race, in which we won our class:

VP2_6436.jpg

VP2_6435.jpg

VP2_5511.jpg

VP2_5474.jpg

VP2_2613-1.jpg

Sure we could make it lower, yes it rolls a little bit in corners, but in a sustained, high lateral g corner, there isn't much that can hang with us. The thing is truly amazing to drive, and it's really fun to pass a bunch of sports cars in the twisties. If your goal by lowering the Jeep is to look cool, then do what you want. If you want it to handle well, then do what we've done; it flat out works.

Check out our YouTube Channel with some in-car clips:

Our YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamPettyCash?feature=mhum#p/u/11/ftMxEh7xZvs

-Matt

That's an interesting video. I kept track of the horizon out the passenger window looking for roll. There sure wasn't much given kinda stock springs and stock swaybars.

And how is it you're passing Mustangs and F-bodies on the straights? Don't those guys have V8's? Or are they cruising at 3/4 throttle hoping to finish?

These are all $500 cars, so the Mustangs are probably 4 cyl or 6 cyl, the f-bodies are probably v6s. Stock Cherokees are surprisingly quick, add in the lightening that has probably occurred here, and it's even faster.

These are all $500 cars, so the Mustangs are probably 4 cyl or 6 cyl, the f-bodies are probably v6s. Stock Cherokees are surprisingly quick, add in the lightening that has probably occurred here, and it's even faster.
Um...no?

Every F-body on track was either 305ci or 350ci powered. Most 'Stangs were 5.0 cars, and there were plenty of non-Ford cars powered by 302's. You have to read the rules a little closer before making a blanket statement like that. The Cherokee is not a fast car on the straights, there is too much aerodynamic drag for the Jeep to do much acceleration over 70 mph. Where the rig really shines is, counter-intuitively, in the corners and under braking. Where you see me passing those Pony cars and F-Bodies is after a good launch from a corner, and using the right line. Horsepower does not always win races.

FWIW, we've only pulled the seats and interior trim. Add our roll cage, wheels and tires and I'd bet we're about what a stock 2WD weighs (we're 2900 lbs dry).

-M

FWIW, we've only pulled the seats and interior trim. Add our roll cage, wheels and tires and I'd bet we're about what a stock 2WD weighs (we're 2900 lbs dry). -M

I'm hoping to get the weight near that with my XJ rallyX'r , currently in build by Goatman. It's a 4x4, but no cage, lighter than stock wheels & tires, and I'll pull the interior like yours, and the bumpers too. Any other easy take-offs that amount to much?

The biggest suspension difference from what you and the others have done is I located a pair of Deaver custom XJ rear rally springs that lower the car, remaining spring-over. I can't make a good case why spring-over would be better than spring-under, but Deaver knows their business and they did it for Bilstein -- who know a little something too. I'll just take it on faith.

'95 2wd Race XJ (XJ-R for short ;)) 2,677 lbs. Gutted everything inside except for dash and driver's seat slider (race seat mounted on stock slider), large (15x10) steel wheels and race rubber, removed everything in the engine bay we didn't need, and gutted the stock hood. Added in a Ford 8.8 which is a little heavier than stock.

Lots of weight in the stock hood and AC system. Interior stuff isn't much but adds up.

Nice. I guess I should call mine an XJ/RX. I'm kinda keeping an eye out for a fiberglass lift-off hood and fg stock shape fenders. I could run two rallytires inside those offroad fenders.

Back