• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering XJ

heres some eye candy for you guys enjoy!
47788_444540164816_191106914816_4578505_1667241_n.jpg

47958_444540194816_191106914816_4578507_4364440_n.jpg

88JeepXJ,
Why did you bend the front axle/beam thus changing the camber? Wouldn't that cause tyre scrubbing and accelarated tire wear on the inside? Logic tells it would and yet I tend to doubt my logic.

Last edited:
Yes more camber does often result in more wear to the inside of the tire when driven normal on the street. What additional static camber does is when you really push a vehicle hard into a corner the tire contact patch shifts and it wants to put more weight on the outside of the tire so additional camber evens this out and puts a more even weight across the tread. So in hard driving more camber often results in more even wear of the tire and more grip in a turn.

You wouldn't likely do this with a street driven Jeep unless you drive it hard. If I were to do it on my street Jeep I would buy adjustable ball joints instead of bending the axle though for safety.

So, I've read through this entire thread and it seems like everyone is or is looking to lower their XJ's beyond 2 inches. And from everything I'm reading, to do that you need to do some other mods that are pretty in depth for clearance issues. Also, it seems that everyone is doing this on 2WD XJs...?

What would be the best route to acheive a 1.5"-2" drop on a (1990) 4WD XJ. A 2" lift doesn't seem to require a lot of modification... would a 2" drop? From what I've gathered, cutting the front springs and having custom built leafs in back seem to be the way to go aside from trying to acquire the lowering kit offered from Trailmaster. Did I read over something in this thread that addresses this question??

The reason it's only done on 2wd is because of the big clearance problem with the front D30 pumpkin and the oilpan. The 2wd has the beam axle allowing it to go down further before any problems arise from the pan. For lowering the back depending on the current conditions of your rear leafs you could play with removing the overload leaf first and if that's not enough then the bottom most leaf.

So, I've read through this entire thread and it seems like everyone is or is looking to lower their XJ's beyond 2 inches. And from everything I'm reading, to do that you need to do some other mods that are pretty in depth for clearance issues. Also, it seems that everyone is doing this on 2WD XJs...?

What would be the best route to acheive a 1.5"-2" drop on a (1990) 4WD XJ. A 2" lift doesn't seem to require a lot of modification... would a 2" drop? From what I've gathered, cutting the front springs and having custom built leafs in back seem to be the way to go aside from trying to acquire the lowering kit offered from Trailmaster. Did I read over something in this thread that addresses this question??

Stock TJ front springs are supposed to be 1" - 1.5" drop at the front. As far as clearence for the diff, I'll let you know. I should be doing this "soon"

When you lower the jeep, the track bar will push the axle to the passenger side(just like if you lift it, it pulls to driver's side), which is DW prone. Mine is shifted 3/8" from the 2-2.5" drop, so I bought a custom adjustable trackbar from Ironman4x4(the first one Andy sent hit the oilpan due to the earlier-than-stock s-bend, so I'm waiting for the second one which should be straight. . . . .). Didn't know trailmaster made a lowering kit(other than the t-case lower/drop). Link please.

Trailmaster is referenced earlier in this thread. They are out of Germany, so as far as acquiring one, I'm not sure... I'd have to email the company to see if the have any USA distributors or if they could ship it directly. The make a full kit (front coils, shocks, rear leafs kit #S08229) as well as sell individual pieces.

www.trailmaster.de I can't read German, so click the UK flag in the upper right-hand corner for english.

1488157.jpg

that is my xj with the trailmaster frontsprings and saggy rear leafs.
tires 255/45/17

Mudracer is the one who brought up the Trailmaster kit. I'm hoping to get a response from him regarding his install, clearance issues and overall drop measurement. But he only did front springs. But it looks pretty f'n sweet!

I e-mailed Trailmaster.

They were great, very quick response, seem knowledgeable.

Only issue is that they do not have a US distributor, and shipping is pretty steep for a set of springs

and 40mm/45mm is only about 1.5". . .
For the front, get the f150 coils and cut em, bilstein 5125s and bar pin em.
For the rear, de-arch stock leaves, and stock bilsteins. That'll be good for a 2-2.5" drop.

No US distributor, huh...? That sucks. :( Then yeah, I would imagine shipping would be a little pricey. What did they quote you for the kit?? Both price and shipping??

Mine is 2wd. A few years ago I ordered customs coils and leaves through Springworks in Cali(mistake, but I learned my lesson: deal with local shops cause you can make sure they do it right). I ordered -2.5" and 25% stiffer. It ended up being a -1.75f/-1.5 rear so I chopped off a coil and had a spring co. de-arch the rears. Just recently I chopped 1.25" off the bumpstop shaft and rewelded them and swapped the stock bilsteins for shorter/stiffer 5125s. I don't recall the p/n at the moment, but they were at the bottom of the list and were the only ones w/ 360/240 psi and had a stud on one end and an eye on the other(I used the bar pins from the billys I took off). I don't know the exact years of the f150 coils, but did confirm that the rear ZJ springs will not work correctly on the front of XJs unless you open up the top coil so that it'll fit the XJ springpad.

Back